Alpine x409 headunit installed. Review and first thoughts

IcemanCS

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 2-door
Having had the i209 on my JK I just had to have the x409 for my new JL. Installed yesterday. First thoughts after one day of use.

Admin edit:
For some specs and video also see: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-replacement-pricing-release-date-demo.40980/

Cons:
-The price!
I did get a Black Friday deal of $2,750 which softened the blow... somewhat.

-Complex install
They only charged for the quoted 2 hours of labor but that was because they hadn’t installed one before. The professional technician spent nearly seven hours on it. Very complicated, don’t try at home unless you have training/experience.

-CarPlay port
CarPlay will only work from one usb port in the Alpine box that replaces the factory aux panel as part of the install. In my JK CarPlay would work from the port inside the center console which created less “cable mess.” Make sure you tell your technician you want CarPlay from inside the center console and there are some things they can do with extenders, etc.

-Safety Warning
Unlike the i209 there is a bright green safety warning screen that requires you to “accept” before you can use the device. It does go away after a few seconds if you don’t press “accept” but still is slightly annoying.

-Climate Control screen
Anytime you press a climate control button on the dash the screen shows the same “seat screen” as the old head unit which is annoying if you don’t want to look at it when simply changing temperature. There is an option to disable this from happening, but it didn’t work when the technician attempted to show me how to turn it off. He was going to call Alpine about the issue and get back to me.

Light color:
-You can’t change the color that comes from the bottom. It is set to orange and that’s that. Looks like they wanted to match the hue coming from the gear box and a few other spots on the dash.

Pros:

-Too many too list! It really is incredible if you are able to bite the financial bullet. Not only does it look better in person, it also offers far superior options and experience than UConnect. The unit produces a much better audio signal to the Alpine upgraded sound system (WRA-23) that I also had installed after purchase and consequently the sound quality is much improved with this radio working with these components. The unit offers a lot of options and features that I wasn’t aware of until I read the manual, but it really does allow you to customize the device for personal taste. Also, when making calls through CarPlay the volume of the ring is very soft, but the voice of who you are calling is appropriate which seems different and a purposeful change from the i209. It also seems to fade the voice of the person you are calling to the speaker above the driver seat but I’m not entirely sure this is the case at this point. The included GPS and “off road mode” button seems to offer a lot of pre-loaded trail info that I am looking forward to trying out.

HDMI input
-Just purchased a lightning to HDMI that will go to one of the inputs in the installed aux plug box. This should allow phone mirroring and video playing. Didn’t realize this was an option until after the install and was a nice surprise.

That’s all for now...

62BAB3E6-2C07-4297-9E12-8B8F78098F9E.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

KinderMojo

First Name
Adel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl Sport S. GMC Sierra, Mercedes G63
Occupation
Engineer
Was on the fence about this because of the pricetag.. but you may have just convinced me.. Thanks for the review..

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
What about the customization of the AUX switches? On the stock system, you can control how the AUX switches function. I know Alpine built in the HVAC functions along with some other stuff only available on the stock screen, but did they also address the AUX settings? Thanks for the post!

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Hot damn son!! That looks amazing. Way out of my price range but I’m glad someone out there is pulling the trigger; I want to see the JL’s audio-related aftermarket grow.

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Nice write up, piggy backing off what @Sting_NC_USA said about the aux switches I would love to see more pics of/if you can customize the aux switches. I agree the price point is a hard pill to swallow but damn if that ain't one sexy set up :like:

Sponsored

OP
OP
IcemanCS

IcemanCS

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 2-door
I'll post some aux switch info when I get some time later on, but to answer the other question I had it installed by Car Tunes in Roswell, Georgia.

algoo31

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Any idea how this integrates with the JL Audio stealthbox?

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Subscribed for more pics/info !

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
That looks good, but as you noted that is a tough price to swallow. It actually reminds me of the new unit in the Grand Cherokee and a smaller version of what the rams get. I wonder if the JL will get a cleaner / larger screen option in a year or two allowing a factory upgrade? (I'm sure would be about the same price though).

that looks good, and I look forward to learning more about it as you use it more.

Sponsored

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
OMG, there are so many more things I'd rather do to my JL than this :LOL:

Reactions: GtX

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR
How about the backup camera functionality?