Sponsored

Alpine Stereo Question

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
I like the sound of my Alpine Stereo. It's clear and clean. But I really can't tell from the front seat that the subwoofer is really doing anything. My son just put in a Kenwood in his car and it will vibrate the windows. Not that I want to do anything like that but there are times I would like a little more punch. I'm not knowledgable about stereo's but just moving the bass up on the equalizer doesn't really help much. Is there a way to upgrade this? An amp maybe? (I thought this was supposed to already be a powerful system)
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I like the sound of my Alpine Stereo. It's clear and clean. But I really can't tell from the front seat that the subwoofer is really doing anything. My son just put in a Kenwood in his car and it will vibrate the windows. Not that I want to do anything like that but there are times I would like a little more punch. I'm not knowledgable about stereo's but just moving the bass up on the equalizer doesn't really help much. Is there a way to upgrade this? An amp maybe? (I thought this was supposed to already be a powerful system)
You could turn up the low-frequencies in the equalizer. I like my music with the lows and highs turned up, with the midrange down a bit. Anything past 25 or so on the volume and it'll noticeably vibrate the mirrors.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You could turn up the low-frequencies in the equalizer. I like my music with the lows and highs turned up, with the midrange down a bit. Anything past 25 or so on the volume and it'll noticeably vibrate the mirrors.
Wow - just realized you already tried that. I'm not sure yours is working right if you don't notice it.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
@wvgasguy whatā€™s your music source? Iā€™ve noticed a significant difference in the loudness of the bass between SiriusXM and plain olā€™ FM. The bass on FM is crisp and booming and the bass on Sirius is just crappy and muddy. I assume itā€™s because if the digital compression of satellite music.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll play with it some more. I guess I just expected more
In previous vehicles I've had the "premium" sound systems with brands like Bose and JL Audio. The sound in my JL is by far better than any factory audio I've ever owned, which is why I question if yours is possibly defective.

Years ago (my teenage years) I had car with a Pioneer head unit with dual 12" Kicker subwoofers powered by a 300 watt Rockford Fosgate amp (all decently reputable brands) and I would venture to say that I get better bass output out my factory system in the JL. Well maybe not, but it's probably close.

Sponsored

NOMAD-0311

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scat Pack Challenger
Doesnā€™t sound right because once I adjusted the EQ in mine it bumps really well. I was very surprised at how well it sounded and how much vasā€™s it put out

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@wvgasguy whatā€™s your music source? Iā€™ve noticed a significant difference in the loudness of the bass between SiriusXM and plain olā€™ FM. The bass on FM is crisp and booming and the bass on Sirius is just crappy and muddy. I assume itā€™s because if the digital compression of satellite music.
Interesting. I don't think the quality on XM is too bad, at least the songs/channels that I listen to. Most of the time I play MP3s from USB though.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Check your settinsg
Like robaw stated... check your settings. I bet your equalizer is set flat... where all of your settings are in the middle. Increase your bass and treble settings and it will sound like a whole new system.

OP
OP
wvgasguy

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
Check your settinsg

Like robaw stated... check your settings. I bet your equalizer is set flat... where all of your settings are in the middle. Increase your bass and treble settings and it will sound like a whole new system.
No, I cranked those settings up. Thinking maybe though that I simply didn't have the volume up enough to make a difference. And if that's what it takes I probably will never use it as I don't plan on losing any more of my hearing than I already have

OP
OP
wvgasguy

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks all, I'll experiment some more. I was mainly thinking that there might be some way to crank the volume on the sub but I guess the equalizer is mainly the only control I will have

Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, I cranked those settings up. Thinking maybe though that I simply didn't have the volume up enough to make a difference. And if that's what it takes I probably will never use it as I don't plan on losing any more of my hearing than I already have
If it's too loud then you're old!! :giggle:

Even at low volume you should notice it, it's not overwhelming but a crisp thump. Of course also depends on style of music.

OP
OP
wvgasguy

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

Even at low volume you should notice it, it's not overwhelming but a crisp thump. Of course also depends on style of music.
Well, I am old..... I'd play with it now but I took the jeep to the Garage for the dealer to fix a part that was broken (from the factory). Had to use my Toyota TRD for the ride back home. It's my backup. Hope I don't need it often for that duty

OP
OP
wvgasguy

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

Of course also depends on style of music.

Uhhh, that too might explain it. I don't know if the Beach Boys will give me that thump :)

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Uhhh, that too might explain it. I don't know if the Beach Boys will give me that thump :)
When you get it back flip to channel 13 on XM, see what that sounds like ;)

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
This stock Alpine was the best from factory system I've ever listened to until we got our 2019 Lincoln Navigator Revel Ultima. That has a next level punch and would be the only system straight from factory I don't need to tweak.. I've put systems into my other cars that will loosen lug nuts but I too am just looking to get a little more sub to feel the lows a bit more. Wondering if there is a mod someone has done by upgrading the Class D amp and more capable sub while keeping the head unit. My rule has been one 12" sub or two 10" to get proper lows. Not sure what the cu-ft the current box has to match.
Sponsored