Alpine sounds better in JK than JL

Oscar16

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler unlimited Sahara
I had a 2015 JKU and the alpine seems to sound little better than in my 2018 JLU. Anyone else feel same way
Sponsored

txroamer

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Wrangler (sold to nephew), 2018 JLUR, 2019 Ram 1500 Limited, 2018 Charger ScatPack 392, 2015 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Road Glide
Vehicle Showcase
I had the alpine in my 2013 JK and it does not compare to the sound quality in my JL. i am constantly amazed and impressed with how loud and clear the stereo is in my JL.

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have had a 2007, 2008, 2012, 2014 JK's and now a 2018 JL.

The JL is better.

Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I had a 2015 JKU and the alpine seems to sound little better than in my 2018 JLU. Anyone else feel same way
You really need to check your music source, the source material with this system will dictate your listening experience. There is no comparison, the Alpine upgrade is very good, so good they raised the price and it's still a steal!!

OP
OP

Oscar16

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler unlimited Sahara
Alpine still sounds great in JL. Wasn’t saying bad at all. Was just wondering if less weight in hardtop let’s some sound out compared to hardtop on Jk. Seems like it too me. Still love it just seeing what others thought.

Mrcake3014

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I have had a 2007, 2008, 2012, 2014 JK's and now a 2018 JL.

The JL is better.
I see in the owner's manual about surround sound in the alpine PREMIUM sound system. I just got my Sahara with the system. Is there something I'm missing? The sound is good but I had a premium system in a Ford Edge and the sound was much better. Is there something I'm missing? Is there a switch to make it surround sound? I thought that with the speakers above you it would be unbelievable. Am I expecting to much.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Sound is individually interpreted by each of us. Take 100 people and put them in a vehicle (gets a little crowded) half will say it is terrible half say it is great. Put them back in the same vehicle the next day and tell them you switched the audio system completely the half that hated it will love it the other half hate it. Just like your eyes, the brain takes your experiences and interprets what you see based individually, the experiment that people are sitting in a class, someone breaks in and shoots the teacher and runs out. People are interviewed and you'd think there were a dozen shooters. Same with sound and the recent experiment where half the people heard one word and other half heard a different word even though it was the same recording. In engineering we would have people complain they were cold, we would put an unconnected thermostat they could control and most then felt comfortable. So unless the sound is totally bad it is a subjective interpretation of what you hear not necessary actual differences.

Sponsored

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
I can't say whether this is true or not, but for everyone that is comparing the new system to a JK Alpine 2014 or older, the system changed in 2015. I believe the same amp that is on the JL has been in the JK since 2015. The 2015 and up Alpine is much better than what it replaced.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
There's nothing more subjective than how a stereo sounds, except for maybe color choice. I'd say if your JK sounded better to you, than it is better. If not, then it is not.

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I find it depends on your music source. Sirius music is very compressed and sounds like crap in my JL. Put on Spotify or music from your phone and the sound is amazing. Check your equalizer on your phone and or Spotify as well. That makes a huge difference.

efitzger

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I'm running WMA (lossless) format files through the USB port and I definitely notice a difference from my JKU Hardrock's Alpine when compared to my JLU's Alpine system (by difference, I mean the JKU sounded better to me).

Honestly, the Alpine in my JLU sounds decent but not crisp/tight/balanced; I've tried multiple formats (WMA lossless being the best sounding), but I still can't get the bass to sound as tight and crisp as it did in the JKU. There also appears to be (to my ears) less separation of high/low/mid frequences - as in, there's a hollowness to the overall sound quality. I've tried every setting on Treble/Mid/Bass as well as fading back to front; just can't kick that hollow 'recording of a recording' sound even with lossless format files.

Overall, the Apline in my JLU is liveable, and not worth it for me to throw time and money at...however, if I could swap my previous JKU Apline sound into my JLU (at least for my ears), I'd do it in a second!

That being said, the JLU is better in every other way than my JKU, sound quality excepted!

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I had a 15 JK with Alpine also. I believe it was better than my JL Rubicon. My Rubicon with the Alpine seems to have speaker distortion at different times for different songs. It’s not the vibration everyone talks about. My uconnect still has the 17 etc. version and it will not update apparently. But it’s not worth it to me to take it to a dealer and leave it with them to have it fixed. I have a portable CD player that I use in it and it sounds perfect when I plug it into the auxiliary port. So maybe it has something to do with the uconnect system. I have the 8.4.
Sponsored