Sponsored

JLscorpio31

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara JLU, 1999 Cherokee XJ
Anyone replaced with soundbar and knee pad speakers yet, with the PSS setup? If so, what did you choose? I’m thinking of Alpine R-S65.2.
Yeah, mine turned out great with the T-s65
Sponsored

e_chicharro

First Name
Enrique
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Willys 2021
If anyone is able to find the parts for this system ahywhere else please post here. I waited too long to order and see Pac Parts is out. Thanks.
Same situation here. Just sent an email to alpine requesting the new harness since I own the SW8 from a previous Jeep JK, but they are not willing to help. Pac parts now state the products as "not available from pacparts". Anyone that knows other source please post. Thanks

crackrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6-speed
So as many have seen PAC-Parts no longer sells the items needed to build the kit. From CamelCamelCamel I knew that amazon every so often had this for near $850, which was PAC-Parts price. Earlier this week I saw it on sale for $899 so I pulled the trigger. Showed up yesterday. Here’s some thoughts.

1. I would say it takes about 3 hours. I spent around 30 minutes, maybe less prepping the jeep before UPS showed up. Taking out all the needed panels, removing the seat, removing the tweeters, and cleaning up under the seat. Then an easy 2h30m taking my time running the cables exactly where I wanted them, plus multiple changes of the system after I already put the seat back in. You’ll see below in bullet point 4.

2. Like many have stated, the bracket comes bent. Mine came really bent. I had to do a lot of molding to get it to even fit in the proper area.

3. PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR and watch the quadratic install before jumping on this. There’s some parts that you can skip, but others where they are actually installing the sub that will just make things easier like where they routed some of the cables. Link:

4. There’s a red sub input. On my harness the two parts were connected and I didn’t think much about it. Installed everything and it sounded great, but there was a major lack of bass. Figured out thanks to the quadratic video that I needed to unplug the connected part and actually plug in the RCA adaptor they gave me. At 20m50s they talk about exactly what I’m talking about here. Make sure you do that step.

——-

Now for some questions which I’m hoping @Varilux can help. I would PM him but I thought others might like to know:

I have aftermarket 6.5” speakers in both the soundbar and kickpanels. I’m using the stock 7” head unit. I have read your comments multiple times but I was a little confused on what to set my filter settings at on my amp. I have the front set to 120hz like you, but the rear I have set to off. Should that also be set to 120?

For the sub I set the gain to half way and set the crossover at 120 (factory recommendation). For the amp I set the front and rear gain a little above the minimum line. I’d say right around the 9 o’clock area. Any suggestions on that is appreciated.

Overall Impressions: As I stated I have already replaced the soundbar and kick panel area with Alpine R-S65.2 6.5” speakers. That alone made a good difference but adding an amp, the Alpine R tweeters, and this powered sub made the system come alive. To me the system sounds very punchy. I haven’t spent a lot of time with it yet but I’m sure I’ll have more to add over the upcoming days. The MSPR price on this is really high, but I’d say if you can find this for $900 like I did it’s worth taking the leap.

Last edited:

JLscorpio31

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So as many have seen PAC-Parts no longer sells the items needed to build the kit. From CamelCamelCamel I knew that amazon every so often had this for near $850, which was PAC-Parts price. Earlier this week I saw it on sale for $899 so I pulled the trigger. Showed up yesterday. Here’s some thoughts.

1. I would say it takes about 3 hours. I spent around 30 minutes, maybe less prepping the jeep before UPS showed up. Taking out all the needed panels, removing the seat, removing the tweeters, and cleaning up under the seat. Then an easy 2h30m taking my time running the cables exactly where I wanted them, plus multiple changes of the system after I already put the seat back in. You’ll see below in bullet point 4.

2. Like many have stated, the bracket comes bent. Mine came really bent. I had to do a lot of molding to get it to even fit in the proper area.

3. PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR and watch the quadratic install before jumping on this. There’s some parts that you can skip, but others where they are actually installing the sub that will just make things easier like where they routed some of the cables. Link:

4. There’s a red sub input. On my harness the two parts were connected and I didn’t think much about it. Installed everything and it sounded great, but there was a major lack of bass. Figured out thanks to the quadratic video that I needed to unplug the connected part and actually plug in the RCA adaptor they gave me. At 20m50s they talk about exactly what I’m talking about here. Make sure you do that step.

——-

Now for some questions which I’m hoping @Varilux can help. I would PM him but I thought others might like to know:

I have aftermarket 6.5” speakers in both the soundbar and kickpanels. I’m using the stock 7” head unit. I have read your comments multiple times but I was a little confused on what to set my filter settings at on my amp. I have the front set to 120hz like you, but the rear I have set to off. Should that also be set to 120?

For the sub I set the gain to half way and set the crossover at 120 (factory recommendation). For the amp I set the front and rear gain a little above the minimum line. I’d say right around the 9 o’clock area. Any suggestions on that is appreciated.

Overall Impressions: As I stated I have already replaced the soundbar and kick panel area with Alpine R-S65.2 6.5” speakers. That along made a good difference but adding an amp, the Alpine R tweeters, and this powered sub made the system come alive. To me the system sounds very punchy. I haven’t spent a lot of time with it yet but I’m sure I’ll have more to add over the upcoming days. The MSPR price on this is really high, but I’d say if you can find this for $900 like I did it’s worth taking the leap.

——-

Overall Impressions: As I stated I have already replaced the soundbar and kick panel area with Alpine R-S65.2 6.5” speakers. That along made a good difference but adding an amp, the Alpine R tweeters, and this powered sub made the system come alive. To me the system sounds very punchy. I haven’t spent a lot of time with it yet but I’m sure I’ll have more to add over the upcoming days. The MSPR price on this is really high, but I’d say if you can find this for $900 like I did it’s worth taking the leap.
Crackrk,

so I watched the video and followed the instructions,does your blue light on the sub stay on when the car is off? Mine does, i thought everything powers off with the remote wire connected. I can see it between the seat and console. Yep, I’ve stayed in the Jeep minutes after the radio and car Thanks

crackrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6-speed
Crackrk,

so I watched the video and followed the instructions,does your blue light on the sub stay on when the car is off? Mine does, i thought everything powers off with the remote wire connected. I can see it between the seat and console. Yep, I’ve stayed in the Jeep minutes after the radio and car Thanks
mine turns off. I saw it turn off while I was installing everything back into the Jeep.

Sponsored

JLscorpio31

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will double check this again in the morning. Thank you
Good morning. I just went and check the remote button, it was up, and the blue light remains on. I’ve pushed it down a few times and nothing. I turned the car on and radio, with the button up, then turned the car off and waited a few minutes and the blue light remained on. But when I do push the button down, the blue light goes off and obviously turns off the sub. It could be possible that the remote wire may be not connected or there’s a break in the line? I’ll investigate later and remove the radio unit to check

JLscorpio31

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Morning, I’m in need of advice. after the radio and or car is off...the power(blue light) on the sub stays on even 5 minutes after.

Sponsored

Mathami

First Name
Saeed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 4D Sport
Thanks very much for this. I did not understand what the filter settings did; now that I do, I'll make the same changes. Fortunately, the dip switches are accessible with the KTP mounted under the seat, so an easy change.

The gain settings drive me nuts. When I did remove the passenger seat to get access to these controls on the KTP, I fiddled with them a bit, but it seemed like anything above 9 o'clock resulted in too much noise. Maybe my ears are bad - I'm old. Yet at the same time, 25 is barely kicking it to me, let alone 20, which seems too quiet, and I find myself wanting more volume - but clean volume. I tried setting the rear speakers a bit higher, at 10-11 o'clock, since I installed higher end Alpine R-Series 6.5s back there, but then too much sound was coming from behind me, and that did not feel natural. So, I backed those down to be equal with the fronts. Bottom line: I'm having a hell of a time getting the sound to where I'm really happy with it.

Funny thing too: right after first installing the PSS system I loved it. It seemed miles better than the factory system. Now all of sudden it seems somewhat less spectacular. I honesty don't know what happened.
Great thread thanks, I’ve installed it but the front speakers didn’t work, I got fed up Tonight and tomorrow I’m going to take the screen and check the wires maybe a cable got disconnected while stuffing it back the screen, fingers crossed🤞

Mathami

First Name
Saeed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 4D Sport
Great thread thanks, I’ve installed it but the front speakers didn’t work, I got fed up Tonight and tomorrow I’m going to take the screen and check the wires maybe a cable got disconnected while stuffing it back the screen, fingers crossed🤞
Ok I’ve completed the installation, I have an issue for the front new alpine tweeters, it keeps disconnecting(stops working) when I increase the volume to a medium level, sometimes it stops working when I start the car and volume isn’t loud, it works again after turning my car and leave it for a while, anyone have an idea what could be the problem ?

crackrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6-speed
Ok I’ve completed the installation, I have an issue for the front new alpine tweeters, it keeps disconnecting(stops working) when I increase the volume to a medium level, sometimes it stops working when I start the car and volume isn’t loud, it works again after turning my car and leave it for a while, anyone have an idea what could be the problem ?
Sounds like you have a pinch in your wire somewhere. Like a grounding issue. I’d pull the speakers out and make sure you didn’t clip one of those wires. Also I’d disconnect them from the factory wiring and re-install them. Maybe they weren’t seated all the way?

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

Sorry I didn't see this earlier- hopefully you've already found settings you like.
I messed around with those bypasses for what seemed an eternity. I finally settled on setting both the front and rear to 120hz, and then set my subwoofer (which is not the Alpine unit but rather a Sound Ordnance) to 150hz. This gives the sub and the 6.5s a little bit of an overlap, and seems to work really well in my Jeep.

Turning the filters on the amp off- or at a lower bypass (I think the other option is 80hz)- ended up in a sound that was a little "bass heavy" for my tastes (i.e., it was hard to get the treble to where I could hear it over all that mid-bass). The last alteration I made to the sound system was to replace the kick panel speakers with coaxial 6.5s, and that seems to have helped the high end quite a bit (which is surprising to me, because those speakers are actually pointed slightly downward and are at knee height).

Mathami

First Name
Saeed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 4D Sport
Sounds like you have a pinch in your wire somewhere. Like a grounding issue. I’d pull the speakers out and make sure you didn’t clip one of those wires. Also I’d disconnect them from the factory wiring and re-install them. Maybe they weren’t seated all the way?
I took it to the radio store and they fixed it, they said something about the cables was laid near the ground power cord or something like that, I really didnt care as long it worked fine, thanks for your reply.
Sponsored