Sponsored

MikeinMD

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Convertible, 2003 Z71 Suburban, 2018 JLU Sahara
Great thread! I did my install today and it took me about 5 hours. I probably spent an entire hour trying to get the larger plug under the seat to come apart. What a PIA! I was also getting my 14 year old involved which was great for running the cables through the dash (small hands!!!).

My initial impressions are that I’m very happy so far for anybody thinking about taking the plunge. For the record, I got it on Amazon for $830 when I ordered it last year. I kept delaying my install because of a nagging problem with the USB ports on my Jeep that they FINALLY resolved after more trips to the dealership than I care to count.

I’m following the dip switch and gain settings discussion and I currently have mine set like the Quadratec video and Alpine instruction sheet showed. I’m also curious whether using the Dart Kicker speakers add any value, I have 2 sets that I never installed.

I’ve also discovered a new rattle with the passenger side of my sound bar after installation. If I apply gentle downward pressure to the bar, it completely silences it, but ok looking for a permanent solution. Any thoughts on what it might be and how to correct?
Jeep Wrangler JL Alpine PSS-23WRA Sound System Upgrade - Review and Suggestions 21165773-37CA-4AE3-A2B5-C8B5720D8292
Sponsored

DeeGee

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Black & Tan, Limited Edition model, in White & Tan
Hi Deegee,

I ordered everything from PacParts and am slowly working in the install. The sub comes with universal brackets but the screws included are too short for the JL specific brackets. Just started assembly today but will update with screw size once I get to the store.
Great! I'm looking forward to your update. Thanks!

KrzybonesJLU

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Just wanted to second the settings on this post. The filter settings provided by @Varilux worked Best for me and sounded a lot cleaner. The settings provided my Apline for the filters made my speakers crackle on certain songs. I’ve had this system for about 3 months now and have no regrets on spending the kind of money on this system. It was a simple solution to my sound quality needs.

Kungaloosh

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S Gator Orange
I just received the speakers from Crutchfield and noticed the same issue with the speakers. @Kungaloosh do have the part number for the Red Wolf tweeter harnesses? I could not find them on Amazon. I was thinking of just cutting the old ones off the current speakers and splicing them onto the the Alpines. That seems like a clean way to do it as well.
Hey JmJ_Rubicon, Sorry for the delay, have not been on in a couple weeks. I checked Amazon and that page is gone now, I guess they are out. I checked the package and it does not have a part number, just says Red Wolf Aftermarket Front Dash Tweeters Speaker Wiring Harness for Jeep 2006-2020. They do have a couple 4 packs on Amazon. There are also Metra harnesses, but I read on a couple posts that they are wired wrong, so I went with the Red Wolf ones. I did not want to cut the original speaker harnesses off in case I didn't like the new ones and wanted to switch back.
As far as the setting go, I went with the settings from Varilux and it sounds great. I do get some crackling from the tweeters on some songs on full volume, but it's loud enough now that I don't really need full volume, even with the roof down, and it's not enough to bother me.

Sponsored

VitaminK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL and military HMMWV
Any idea what dip switch settings I should use w the Dodge Dart speakers?

Winesmile

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU-Sport S
Occupation
Smart Home Integration
Any idea what dip switch settings I should use w the Dodge Dart speakers?
Check the frequency response settings. Then set the crossover (HPF) to a setting that is “close” to the low number defined by Hz.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Check the frequency response settings. Then set the crossover (HPF) to a setting that is “close” to the low number defined by Hz.
The dodge dart speakers do *not* have the integrated capacitor that the stock base model speaker have. You'll need to enable the HPF for them. The 120hz setting is probably best.

JmJ_Rubicon

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Wrangler Rubicon
Hey JmJ_Rubicon, Sorry for the delay, have not been on in a couple weeks. I checked Amazon and that page is gone now, I guess they are out. I checked the package and it does not have a part number, just says Red Wolf Aftermarket Front Dash Tweeters Speaker Wiring Harness for Jeep 2006-2020. They do have a couple 4 packs on Amazon. There are also Metra harnesses, but I read on a couple posts that they are wired wrong, so I went with the Red Wolf ones. I did not want to cut the original speaker harnesses off in case I didn't like the new ones and wanted to switch back.
As far as the setting go, I went with the settings from Varilux and it sounds great. I do get some crackling from the tweeters on some songs on full volume, but it's loud enough now that I don't really need full volume, even with the roof down, and it's not enough to bother me.
No problem. I found them on Amazon after all. I got everything installed yesterday and all of of these posts have been a huge help. The only question I still have is hooking up the harnesses to the Alpine tweeters. I cut off the connectors and spliced them to the tweeters but I’m not sure which wire is positive. I’ve hooked them up both ways and I can’t hear a difference but who knows. I’m getting a little crackling from time to time and assumed I had the polarity switched but maybe not since I get the same after reversing the connections. The Alpine tweeters have a clear wire and a clear wire with a black stripe. The Red Wolf harness looks like the attached pic with the red wire being the positive. Anyone know if the Alpine black striped wire is positive? That’s the way I have it now.

image.jpg

Williamj

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1945 GPW, 2020 JL Sport
Great! I'm looking forward to your update. Thanks!
Hi Deegee and anyone else piecing the system together. Sorry for the delay. You need longer screws for the brackets. M4x16 with a flat and lock washer worked fine for me. Now to find time to install.

Sponsored

Kungaloosh

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S Gator Orange
No problem. I found them on Amazon after all. I got everything installed yesterday and all of of these posts have been a huge help. The only question I still have is hooking up the harnesses to the Alpine tweeters. I cut off the connectors and spliced them to the tweeters but I’m not sure which wire is positive. I’ve hooked them up both ways and I can’t hear a difference but who knows. I’m getting a little crackling from time to time and assumed I had the polarity switched but maybe not since I get the same after reversing the connections. The Alpine tweeters have a clear wire and a clear wire with a black stripe. The Red Wolf harness looks like the attached pic with the red wire being the positive. Anyone know if the Alpine black striped wire is positive? That’s the way I have it now.

Jeep Wrangler JL Alpine PSS-23WRA Sound System Upgrade - Review and Suggestions image
Of course I didn't check them, I just went black line to red line, and clear to clear wires. Now I may have to... lol. But if you want to check it you can use a 9 volt battery. Whichever wire causes the speaker diaphragm to pop out (away from the magnet) when attached to the battery positive, while the other wire is attached to the negative, is the positive line. Now I have something to do tomorrow.. lol

JmJ_Rubicon

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Of course I didn't check them, I just went black line to red line, and clear to clear wires. Now I may have to... lol. But if you want to check it you can use a 9 volt battery. Whichever wire causes the speaker diaphragm to pop out (away from the magnet) when attached to the battery positive, while the other wire is attached to the negative, is the positive line. Now I have something to do tomorrow.. lol
That’s the way I have it hooked up now and I think it sounds better. I also went with @Varilux dip switch setting on the amp and like others think it is the way to go. Just a tip for anyone that may install this kit, I left the amp lose and I can unhook it from the transmission side and slide out to change the settings. There enough cables and carpet plus it is connected to a harness from both sides so it hasn’t moved or rattled.

crackrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6-speed
I noticed that all the parts (Harness, t-adaptor, etc) from PACParts are all unavailable now. Think they are back ordered or did they stop listing them? I’m looking to start building out my setup.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I noticed that all the parts (Harness, t-adaptor, etc) from PACParts are all unavailable now. Think they are back ordered or did they stop listing them? I’m looking to start building out my setup.
Most of them were in backorder when I ordered mine. Took ~2 weeks.

JmJ_Rubicon

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered everything a few weeks ago and none of it was in stock and needed to be ordered. I got a call after a few days from PacParts and they said they could get everything but one speaker mount. She said that showed no longer available. I took the one and ended up finding some that worked on Amazon. I went back after she called to see if the site still showed the speaker mount and everything associated with the kit showed as unavailable. Maybe Alpine figured out we were all building the kit for less and cut them off?
Sponsored