jollycj

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jolly
Ok, so here’s what I got:

Already had the upgraded factory 7” touchscreen receiver/display that came with the Jeep - worked great with this setup:

- The sub I had installed was a Kicker 46HS10 10” powered hideaway subwoofer - got from Crutchfield. Much better than the Alpine 8” option that comes in the jeep upgrade kit (I was actually able to compare side by side at a local shop - night and day better). This thing has plenty of thump for a Jeep install; don’t think I’ve ever turned it up more than 50%, even with top off! I listen to a lot of electronic and drum & bass, and like to “feel” my music. Total win here. Had it installed under passenger seat, good fit. Had independent sub volume knob mounted to the front of the center console just above the parking brake lever - perfect spot to comfortably adjust volume without lifting my arm off armrest. The sub itself is about as big a hideaway you can get with it still ‘just’ fitting under the seat. I think there’s even a YouTube video on this out there as well, and even at the end, the guy was like “I could really see this unit being a big win for all the jeep folks out there!” He was dead on.
- Got a pair of “Kicker 47KSC3504” - also from Crutchfield - to replace the 2 in-dash speakers (top). Again, wow what a difference! They are noticeably louder and very clear! The difference in vocals was huge, and even more surprising… actually output good bass. Yes…really, from an upper in-dash speaker. It is not surprising that Jeep includes new upper-dash tweeters in their upgrade kit - the stock ones stink in comparison. These were pretty plug and play and can be easily installed yourself using the existing factory wiring.
- I did not mess with the 2 under-dash knee-level speakers. They are still stock. Really, these are just mid-level “fill” speakers anyway in the overall soundstage, and are a pain in the ass to upgrade due to how they are situated. Given the other parts I did, these are still fine.
- Finally, because the new top-in-dash speakers and sub were soooo much noticeably better… of course I had to go and upgrade the soundbar speakers as well! I was hoping to avoid messin. With the soundbar, but yeah, the other components were so much better, I pretty much had to! So went over to Best Buy and got a pair of Kicker 6x9’s installed (same series as front ones / can’t recall the mfr part, though). They were work for the tech to get in there, but I didn’t have to pay for installation, so that was on them! Lol. maybe go with component replacements to be nicer to your installer…? Either way, they had it in stock and the tech helped me pick them out.
-Ordered part “MB Quart JE1-169SB” from Crutchfield also - replacement soundbar speaker grille pair and bracket for 6x9 install. (Need this to convert to 6x9 in soundbar).

So yeah, all new kicker brand component system for a really good price installed. As a means of comparing volume, I usually ran my Serius XM music at volume level 38+ On the highway and top down when it was stock, and still needed more. Stock speakers really couldn’t do higher vol than 40 without signal dropout, if that. I now get the same db levels at vol 25 with full bodied sound. If I go to vol 30 now, it with top off and highway speed. Plenty loud. And no, I didn’t install an amp, either. The kicker speakers are just better quality/higher sensitivity than the stock ones - but you could throw an amp in there if you wanted to - that’s another great thing about kicker - expendability down the road if you want. Hope that helps! 👍
Thanks for the detail, helpful
Sponsored

Datjeeptho

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I replied in another thread but it looks like this may be the main thread for this upgrade and I have a few questions.

How good is the bass boost over the stock non alpine system? Ive noticed a lot of folks saying an increase in sound quality but Im curious about the bass specifically. I dont need window rattling bass but I would like certain parts in songs to hit a bit harder if that makes sense.

Im also curious about the passenger. With the sub going under the passenger seat, do they notice a difference or anything? I frequently have someone in that seat so if its going to make that seat vibrate like crazy, I may need to find something else.

The price point seems more these days than when it first came out but Im still willing if its good.

KrzybonesJLU

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
It’s an improvement over the stock system period. Especially when you have the top off or windows down. The bass great and if you’re not looking for window rattling type of sound then this will work for you. It’s only an 8” so it’s not bother the person seating in the seat. If you’ve got the coin, and not a audio freak then this will suffice for most people in my opinion. It should also work a little better if you’ve got the upgraded 7” or bigger HD or aftermarket HD.

Datjeeptho

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
It’s an improvement over the stock system period. Especially when you have the top off or windows down. The bass great and if you’re not looking for window rattling type of sound then this will work for you. It’s only an 8” so it’s not bother the person seating in the seat. If you’ve got the coin, and not a audio freak then this will suffice for most people in my opinion. It should also work a little better if you’ve got the upgraded 7” or bigger HD or aftermarket HD.
Thank you for the reply. I also found the pss-24wra which includes the roll bar speakers and the lower dash? I think?

I think I’m going to bite the bullet.

RAMSTEEL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Occupation
Army (Ret), Fed Guy
I just completed the installation which included Alpine SPV-65X-WRA 6-1/2" in the knee area and the Alpine SPV-65-JLT 6-1/2" in the soundbar. The knee speakers were a true joy to replace and thanks to the many YouTube videos I knew what I was getting into. There are a few screws on the side of the dash that took more time than others :)

The sound difference is striking and I've noted the difference in the settings throughout this thread. I set mine to the recommendations in the box and probably need to tweak them as it's almost too full of bass...muddy is the term used earlier.

I welcome any suggestions based on my setup. Thanks

Sponsored

RAMSTEEL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Occupation
Army (Ret), Fed Guy
Ok, I'm answering my own question now :) Hope this helps others, especially those that buy the parts and not the complete kits. The settings are completely different depending on if you retain factory speakers or replace them. Also, note the dip switches are confusing but follow the arrows and avoid the black/white dot confusion.

This is my cheat sheet from the Alpine website and is most current as of today:

Jeep Wrangler JL Alpine PSS-23WRA Sound System Upgrade - Review and Suggestions Alpine Settings

KrzybonesJLU

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
If you search this thread someone posted their preference on the settings those worked out for me over the ones provided by alpine. The settings alpine provided was too much.

RAMSTEEL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Occupation
Army (Ret), Fed Guy
If you search this thread someone posted their preference on the settings those worked out for me over the ones provided by alpine. The settings alpine provided was too much.
You basically have to set the gain per your setup. Even the suggested settings were a bit high for my setup and distorted a lot above 24. It's honestly better to not reinstall the passenger seat and spend a day making changes.

jimithng23

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL UL HIGH TIDE
I just completed the installation which included Alpine SPV-65X-WRA 6-1/2" in the knee area and the Alpine SPV-65-JLT 6-1/2" in the soundbar. The knee speakers were a true joy to replace and thanks to the many YouTube videos I knew what I was getting into. There are a few screws on the side of the dash that took more time than others :)

The sound difference is striking and I've noted the difference in the settings throughout this thread. I set mine to the recommendations in the box and probably need to tweak them as it's almost too full of bass...muddy is the term used earlier.

I welcome any suggestions based on my setup. Thanks

Like you, I completed this install a couple days ago. It was...involving... but thanks to some great youtube tutorials, I was able to get it in with zero screws leftover (other than the handful of speaker / grill screws the kit replaces).

Also, like you I discovered less than desirable sound quality with the settings Alpine spells out in the manual (the amps ship with these presets made, which I found was a nice touch). The 4ch amp gains were too hot, causing clipping before the headunit volume reached a point of sending full signal to the sub amp which resulted in poor / lack of bass performance.

So, what did I do? (One important note: I'm running the factory 7" head unit)

Ideally you want max signal reaching all your amps before setting gains. This means getting the volume knob level around 85%-90% (32 volume is about the perfect point, I found) At the point of volume you find works best, you'll increase the gains to where you begin to hear distortion, then back the gain off slightly.

First, I turned the remote knob for the sub to minimum.

Set the fade on the headunit all the way to the front and set the gain on the amp for the front speakers. Repeat for the rear speakers (Note: the sub pre-out is inactive when faded 100% to the rear).

Set fade back to center, turn remote knob to max, increase gain on the sub amp to the initial point of distortion. Go a bit further and you'll hear that "muddy bass" sound we're trying to get rid of because the factory xover setting is just plain way too high, IMO. Adjust the gain until the volume of the sub is clearly playing louder than the main speakers. Adjust the crossover back towards the 50hz (120hz as Alpine suggests until you hear the bass blending with the rest of the system. Increase gain until distortion, then back it off just slightly until you get that blend of volume and full sound with the main speakers.

Once I went through that, this system really shines and has exceeded all my expectations.

My settings: treble -2, mid 0, bass -3 or -4 depending on the song.
Fade: front +1
Loudness: off (unnecessary with this system)
Sound level adj: off

It's gonna be great on topless/doorless Sunday Funday rides.

Nobody cares, but just a brief point: I worked in high end audio / hifi / home theater design, install, and setup for about 10 years (I also promise I'll never bring that up again) and I have a fairly solid home hifi setup I've spent years upgrading and tweaking. Basically, I feel I have a solid understanding of setup and what constitutes "good sound" and what sounds like crap. LOL

RAMSTEEL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Occupation
Army (Ret), Fed Guy
Thank you, hope to adjust mine next week. Out of town but still reading and researching.

Sponsored

RAMSTEEL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Occupation
Army (Ret), Fed Guy
Like you, I completed this install a couple days ago. It was...involving... but thanks to some great youtube tutorials, I was able to get it in with zero screws leftover (other than the handful of speaker / grill screws the kit replaces).

Also, like you I discovered less than desirable sound quality with the settings Alpine spells out in the manual (the amps ship with these presets made, which I found was a nice touch). The 4ch amp gains were too hot, causing clipping before the headunit volume reached a point of sending full signal to the sub amp which resulted in poor / lack of bass performance.

So, what did I do? (One important note: I'm running the factory 7" head unit)

Ideally you want max signal reaching all your amps before setting gains. This means getting the volume knob level around 85%-90% (32 volume is about the perfect point, I found) At the point of volume you find works best, you'll increase the gains to where you begin to hear distortion, then back the gain off slightly.

First, I turned the remote knob for the sub to minimum.

Set the fade on the headunit all the way to the front and set the gain on the amp for the front speakers. Repeat for the rear speakers (Note: the sub pre-out is inactive when faded 100% to the rear).

Set fade back to center, turn remote knob to max, increase gain on the sub amp to the initial point of distortion. Go a bit further and you'll hear that "muddy bass" sound we're trying to get rid of because the factory xover setting is just plain way too high, IMO. Adjust the gain until the volume of the sub is clearly playing louder than the main speakers. Adjust the crossover back towards the 50hz (120hz as Alpine suggests until you hear the bass blending with the rest of the system. Increase gain until distortion, then back it off just slightly until you get that blend of volume and full sound with the main speakers.

Once I went through that, this system really shines and has exceeded all my expectations.

My settings: treble -2, mid 0, bass -3 or -4 depending on the song.
Fade: front +1
Loudness: off (unnecessary with this system)
Sound level adj: off

It's gonna be great on topless/doorless Sunday Funday rides.

Nobody cares, but just a brief point: I worked in high end audio / hifi / home theater design, install, and setup for about 10 years (I also promise I'll never bring that up again) and I have a fairly solid home hifi setup I've spent years upgrading and tweaking. Basically, I feel I have a solid understanding of setup and what constitutes "good sound" and what sounds like crap. LOL
What do you have your front and rear high pass filters on the amp set to? I can't even remember wheat I set them to but I still feel like I'm getting pitchy highs. Overall huge improvement using your method to make adjustments.

jimithng23

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL UL HIGH TIDE
What do you have your front and rear high pass filters on the amp set to?
I kept them at the settings Alpine suggested in the manual, and as the equipment was set as shipped.

That said, I might fiddle with the HPF and see if I can clear up some of the muddy upper mid-bass I'm hearing in the mains.

Spent all day yesterday driving around topless and doorless, and had plenty of volume. Very satisfied overall.

jimithng23

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL UL HIGH TIDE
I kept them at the settings Alpine suggested in the manual, and as the equipment was set as shipped.

That said, I might fiddle with the HPF and see if I can clear up some of the muddy upper mid-bass I'm hearing in the mains.

Spent all day yesterday driving around topless and doorless, and had plenty of volume. Very satisfied overall.
I just pulled the owner's manual on the KTP-445U.

It appears that Alpine suggests the HPF to be set at 60hz:
Jeep Wrangler JL Alpine PSS-23WRA Sound System Upgrade - Review and Suggestions 1655318023575

I might fiddle with this tonight and try out the 80hz filter, re-blend the sub, and report back.

Attachments

jimithng23

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL UL HIGH TIDE
LOL

From the Alpine manual:

Jeep Wrangler JL Alpine PSS-23WRA Sound System Upgrade - Review and Suggestions 1655318184943

My attorney will be submitting correspondence to Alpine HQ requesting compensation for my intellectual property.

RAMSTEEL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Occupation
Army (Ret), Fed Guy
I did a bit of fiddling with the equalizer and that helped dial in the sound I was looking for. I have my filters set to 120mhz both front and back.
Sponsored