James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Recently installed a pair of Alpine IR LCAs on my 2018 JLUR.

After about two weeks, I've noticed a squeak during compression of each side of the vehicle.

I've attached a video to this post in the hopes the sound comes through. Jeep Squeak

@TeraFlex , does this sound like the lca? I narrowed it down to the lca area, but wondering if this sparks any thoughts/feedback.

Note: I've retorqued the LCA bolts and hit the joints of both lcas, track bar, shocks and sway bar with silicone lube. No change.

The Jeep Chicken thanks you in advance!
Jeep Wrangler JL Alpine IR LCA Squeak? 20210207_150728
Sponsored

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
I sent you a message. :like:

OP
OP
redsyphon

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I sent you a message. :like:
Thank you!

I fully loosened and re-torqued the LCAs last night *whew*, but due to work I haven't gotten a chance to really test it out. I plan to do this by Friday at the latest. I'll take the conversation to PM and phone.

If there's positive helpful information at the end of things I'll update the post to help others down the line.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Recently installed a pair of Alpine IR LCAs on my 2018 JLUR.

After about two weeks, I've noticed a squeak during compression of each side of the vehicle.

I've attached a video to this post in the hopes the sound comes through. Jeep Squeak

@TeraFlex , does this sound like the lca? I narrowed it down to the lca area, but wondering if this sparks any thoughts/feedback.

Note: I've retorqued the LCA bolts and hit the joints of both lcas, track bar, shocks and sway bar with silicone lube. No change.

The Jeep Chicken thanks you in advance!
Jeep Wrangler JL Alpine IR LCA Squeak? 20210207_150728
Man, I want a Jeep chicken but my wife says only frozen, what fun is that. Sometimes fluid film on all the rubber bushings helps, even the ones you didn't mess with. Also when installing just a part of a lift or suspension upgrade you should loosen up the other suspension/ steering components and retorque them with the vehicle on the wheels. Any changes you made to geometry by installing the LCA's could have twisted up a bushing on another part.

OP
OP
redsyphon

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Man, I want a Jeep chicken but my wife says only frozen, what fun is that. Sometimes fluid film on all the rubber bushings helps, even the ones you didn't mess with. Also when installing just a part of a lift or suspension upgrade you should loosen up the other suspension/ steering components and retorque them with the vehicle on the wheels. Any changes you made to geometry by installing the LCA's could have twisted up a bushing on another part.
Jeep chickens have many benefits... too many to list here of course, but I highly recommend.

I've been thinking about the remaining CAs actually. Only a 2" lift, but was thinking about loosening and re-torqueing the remaining stock control arms. Of course... I could just order replacement ones for those as well if I have to go through the trouble. 🤔 I'm sure the ride would be better with some more Alpines under there :LOL:

Sponsored

OP
OP
redsyphon

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
A quick update to anyone who finds this thread and another thank you from Jeep Chicken to @TeraFlex / @Wolfslash16 for reaching out.

So, the fix was two parts...

Part 1 involved a full round on the Front LCAs by backing out the bolts and tightening them to the specified torque. This time however I marked the point at which they hit torque (103ft lbs) on the bolt and then marked the appropriate angle on the frame to make sure I got it right when continuing to turn the additional 145deg.

That resulted in the squeak that the video shows going away. No longer could one jump on the front and reproduce the sound as my video showed. However, there was still a very high pitched squeak (low volume) while driving!

Two Squeaks!?... Jeep Chicken was not pleased!
Jeep Wrangler JL Alpine IR LCA Squeak? 20210207_150804

Part 2 was quickly tracked down to the Synergy front Track Bar. The passenger side was rubbing metal on metal in two very small areas (images below).

From the outside while installed, everything looked to have plenty of clearance but that was not the case.

To Synergy's credit their instructions DO say some Jeeps may need to trim the axle mount and file the lower opening. I can only guess the reason why I didn't catch that I haven't done enough of this sooner is that the outer coating of the track bar was acting as a barrier until it became metal on metal.

So, in summary... check the torque 3 times! :) lol, but I can't fault the Teraflex product at all for having to retorque a few times. So thus far the Alpine IR LCAs have been a 10/10

Jeep Wrangler JL Alpine IR LCA Squeak? Resized_20210212_165132

Jeep Wrangler JL Alpine IR LCA Squeak? Resized_20210212_165116

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
A quick update to anyone who finds this thread and another thank you from Jeep Chicken to @TeraFlex / @Wolfslash16 for reaching out.

So, the fix was two parts...

Part 1 involved a full round on the Front LCAs by backing out the bolts and tightening them to the specified torque. This time however I marked the point at which they hit torque (103ft lbs) on the bolt and then marked the appropriate angle on the frame to make sure I got it right when continuing to turn the additional 145deg.

That resulted in the squeak that the video shows going away. No longer could one jump on the front and reproduce the sound as my video showed. However, there was still a very high pitched squeak (low volume) while driving!

Two Squeaks!?... Jeep Chicken was not pleased!

Part 2 was quickly tracked down to the Synergy front Track Bar. The passenger side was rubbing metal on metal in two very small areas (images below).

From the outside while installed, everything looked to have plenty of clearance but that was not the case.

To Synergy's credit their instructions DO say some Jeeps may need to trim the axle mount and file the lower opening. I can only guess the reason why I didn't catch that I haven't done enough of this sooner is that the outer coating of the track bar was acting as a barrier until it became metal on metal.

So, in summary... check the torque 3 times! :) lol, but I can't fault the Teraflex product at all for having to retorque a few times. So thus far the Alpine IR LCAs have been a 10/10

Right on! You know you can loosen that locksrew on the track bar and push the bar over on the bushing, some people have gained enough clearance that way, I just filed mine down a bit. If you do push it over just locktite the lock screw and tighten it back down where it works. I know myself and i would have gorrila toqued that set screw until I stripped the allen head out, or stripped it out trying to loosen it, me and allen head or torx hardware dont get along well.
Sponsored