Alpine I209-WRA-JL Pre-Order

TexaClone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
I see that ABT has opened the pre-order for the Alpine i209-WRA-JL. $2,394.95.
https://www.abt.com/product/129853/...m-For-2018-Up-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-I209WRAJL.html

Anyone done it yet?

• Weather Resistant and Built for the Outdoors
    Jeep Wrangler drivers are now free to simultaneously enjoy the latest technology and take on the environmental elements off the beaten path with the new weather resistant 9-Inch i209-WRA-JL Restyle Dash system, equipped with Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ designed for the Jeep Wrangler JL. Along with its ability to withstand dirt, dust and light rain as well as all of its incredible features displayed on such an abundant screen, this Jeep upgrade is a definite must-have for your Wrangler.
  • First-Rate Alpine Engineering For The Jeep Wrangler
    The 9-inch i209-WRA-JL is Alpine engineered for the Jeep Wrangler JL. The i209-WRA-JL comes with a stunning rugged dash bezel that houses the oversized 9-inch screen and provides a matching fit and finish to your Wrangler, as if it came that way from the factory. The big crystal buttons for music and smartphone navigation sources are backlit to match the color of your Wrangler's factory gauges. The i209-WRA-JL is mech-less (no CD/DVD slot) but still has plenty of entertainment options to keep your drive enjoyable.
  • Captivating 9-inch Touchscreen and Innovative User Interface
    In line with previous generations, the i209-WRA-JL continues to offer the largest and only 9-inch touchscreen radio replacement for the Jeep Wrangler JL in the U.S.

A handy interface allows for simple 4-way swipe action control: Left, Right, Down, Up. You are just one swipe away from the most commonly accessed features:
    • Swipe to the Right to access the Audio and Video commands
    • Swipe Down to access the adjustment settings to the Audio system or Rear Seat Entertainment system (sold separately)
    • Swipe Up to access Bluetooth and Source Selection
  • A Little Water or Dirt Never Hurt
    Taking your Wrangler off the beaten path? The i209-WRA-JL can keep up with the fun, even when dirt, light rain and dust catch you off guard. The 9-inch touchscreen and dash kit are splash-proof and dust-proof, rated at IP53* so the adventure can go on uninterrupted.

*IP53 Rating: Protection against dust with limited ingress and fresh water spray from up to 60° vertical.
  • Apple Carplay
    The i209-WRA-JL “Works with Apple CarPlay” and lets iPhone users make and receive calls, access text messages, play music, and get directions in a way that allows them to stay focused on the road. Apple CarPlay is accessed through the capacitive touch screen or the “Voice” hard button to activate Siri voice control and is compatible with iPhone 5 and later (iPhone must be connected via Apple lightning cable).
  • Android Auto
    The i209-WRA-JL is Android Auto Compatible. Android Auto was designed with safety in mind. With a simple and intuitive interface, integrated steering wheel controls, and powerful new voice actions, it’s designed to minimize distraction so drivers can stay focused on the road (requires both a USB cable and Bluetooth connection; compatible with Android™ phone running 5.0 [Lollipop] or higher). Android Auto is accessed through the capacitive touchscreen or the “Voice” hard button with voice control.

Weather Resistant system (rated at IP53) with the largest aftermarket screen for the Jeep Wrangler JL.
  • Apps
    Apple CarPlay and Android Auto give you access to popular apps such as:
    • Waze: (via Android Auto only) The world's largest community based traffic and navigation app
    • Spotify: A digital music service that gives you access to millions of songs
    • Amazon Music, and more
    For information on third party apps, please visit the Apple CarPlay and Android Auto websites.
  • Take the Command Center Beyond the Dash
    Have you upgraded your Jeep Wrangler with accessories like a winch, light bar, and tire air compressor? No need to add switches that clutter your dash. Now you can conveniently control these accessories directly from the i209-WRA-JL's touchscreen!
Sponsored

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
Nice features but it seems a little pricey. Under $2K seems more reasonable (MSRP)

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Note that the i209s don't have navigation, you'll need an x209 for that. Also no wireless carplay/android auto.

These radios cost an arm and a leg because the market for them dried up, but they still cost a decent amount of R&D money to produce. That said, while I understand their pricing model, I am curious who will buy them.

My guess is someone who bought a sport and has the 5" radio, but wants to do some serious custom audio work. From what I can tell, the options expanding a factory system aren't too great.

OP
OP

TexaClone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Note that the i209s don't have navigation, you'll need an x209 for that. Also no wireless carplay/android auto.

These radios cost an arm and a leg because the market for them dried up, but they still cost a decent amount of R&D money to produce. That said, while I understand their pricing model, I am curious who will buy them.

My guess is someone who bought a sport and has the 5" radio, but wants to do some serious custom audio work. From what I can tell, the options expanding a factory system aren't too great.
With the difficulty that comes with upgrading the factory install to 8.4 from any other option I’m considering it.

I have an ‘18 Sport S I bought off the lot and it had the 7”. I’m glad that it had CarPlay and AA but as a radio it’s terrible. No HD Radio, the way it does CarPlay is obnoxious. The Alpine lets CarPlay take over full screen but retains vehicle settings so that’s interesting. With the changes included in IOS 13, I like being able to open the garage door, for example, with MyQ and Home Bridge from the CarPlay screen.

I have SXM on the iPhone and Google Maps and Waze crush any factory or add on NAV. So, I don’t really care about NAV or Sirius satellite. I drive across the country and it is only rarely I don’t have cell data access. Offline google maps make that a great option, too.

I’m also not too concerned about wireless CarPlay but that would be a nice to have.

So, this radio gets me a bigger screen. More proper CarPlay support, HD Radio and I am certain better actual sound. Costly, but no warranty support nonsense from FCA. Jeep Corp is clueless when it comes to what would make satisfied customers in respect to this kind of system. Alpine is focused on that, however. So, I’m probably buying it if I can’t get a good 8.4 setup working.

GregMG79

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S 6spd
Occupation
Construction Manager
I have been waiting for this. Hope they have a good Black Friday deal this year on it. Not counting on it, but would be nice.

Sponsored

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I am definitely getting one. Bigger screens are great with Car play. Would be really nice if FCA could figure out how to support their 8.6” system as an accessory installed option. It appears that is too challenging for them. The Alpine is water resistant too! Who would have thought of that as a desired feature in a Jeep!

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Not at that ridiculous AF price. Wtf are they thinking?

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
That price and doesn’t even include WIRELESS CarPlay. Pass

GregMG79

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S 6spd
Occupation
Construction Manager
I hope this gets released with a killer Black Friday same. Would be good if at similar price to the 8.4 upgrade.

Tjbrlecic1

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
To use the switch bank and get the vehicle telemetry to work two more items are needed. Add another 360.00 to the price.

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
So, costs more and looks worse than the factory option. Not sure I see the benefit to this unit.

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Curious if you can still control climate and all the uconnect settings once you upgrade. I have the 7” now.

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

So, costs more and looks worse than the factory option. Not sure I see the benefit to this unit.
For folks that got the factory option, Alpine support is typically good. Many threads on problems with the factory radio.

If you did not get the factory radio, this is a much better option. It is supported by somebody. FCA does not support adding the factory radio to a Jeep that didn't come with one. Can't even get updates!

Du0377

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Medical Student

N
ew double din option for JL released! I like it. Can finally upgrade my head unit and retain all of my controls.

Sponsored