Almost Spun Out - What Went Wrong?

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR
Stopped in at my local FCA dealer where I purchase my JL Rubicon. Service checked my Jeep for any fault codes; nothing at all. Which means the traction control is working. I asked them if it will spin when punched in first or second gear on a wet road; they said yes. My dash light does come on, but as other people have stated it will and has gone sideways more than once.

My take on this; I will drive the vehicle as if it doesn't have any driving aids. I will let it go sideways if I choose, but I will have to rely on my driving skills to keep it under control.

What's the purpose of traction control if it doesn't control poor traction performance in wet or snowy conditions? I talked to a friend who has an '18 Chevy Silverado with traction control in 2WD that definitely works by limiting power to the rear wheels when it starts to spin.

Does anybody know if the Dodge pickups have traction control, that works, in 2WD? If they do, the system should have been employed on Jeep Wranglers.
Sponsored

bmrrwolfe

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2005 Grand Cherokee
I have noticed my JL loves to drift when its wet. I'm surprised how much of a slide the traction control allows 90% of the time. Rarely will it kick in, but once you get used to it, its fun to do and scare the sh*t out of the Misses at an empty intersection.
That being said, I have had a XJ's TJ's KJ's and a KK all no where near as squirrelly in the rear-end as the the JL will get.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
What kind of tires are you guys running? I have had many slides since buying just 4 months ago. I have factory KO2's. I figured it was the tires mostly that allowed it and I have been searching for a stickier tread compound. I read that tires with silica compound stick better in wet and slush. I hate to spend money on new tires if it won't make a difference. As for the spin out, I agree with another that said it's too late for the ESC once the jeep is going sideways. Momentum is taking it by that time , so counter steer and pucker, or pucker and then counter steer. I had a 2013 427 Corvette that was not a whole lot better in terms of ESC and slides, just a bit different. Iv'e alo driven cars where you feel the ESC kick in way to soon and often. I have not felt it in the jeep yet. Hopefully because it is working well in those slick turns.

offset_98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1993 Nissan 300ZX, 2015 Subaru Outback, 2011 Toyota Sienna
I’ve got Geolander G003’s with the triple polymer blend and have not had this issue with spinning out. Truth be told though, I’ve never tried to find the wet limits of the tires/Jeep either.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Here is the thing, me either. These slides Iv'e had where flowing with traffic around circles (roundabouts) at about 30-40 mph or from a stoplight making a left or right turn. I believe I read the Geolander had better wet/dry handling than the KO2

Sponsored

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Weird, 2 door Manual Trans, Rubi here and I have yet to spin out from wet roads. I don't baby the gas pedal either....

Oletimer

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlr 2017 ram
Occupation
Logging Contractor
Stopped in at my local FCA dealer where I purchase my JL Rubicon. Service checked my Jeep for any fault codes; nothing at all. Which means the traction control is working. I asked them if it will spin when punched in first or second gear on a wet road; they said yes. My dash light does come on, but as other people have stated it will and has gone sideways more than once.

My take on this; I will drive the vehicle as if it doesn't have any driving aids. I will let it go sideways if I choose, but I will have to rely on my driving skills to keep it under control.

What's the purpose of traction control if it doesn't control poor traction performance in wet or snowy conditions? I talked to a friend who has an '18 Chevy Silverado with traction control in 2WD that definitely works by limiting power to the rear wheels when it starts to spin.

Does anybody know if the Dodge pickups have traction control, that works, in 2WD? If they do, the system should have been employed on Jeep Wranglers.
I left chevy because traction control was overkill on muddy roads. It constantly cut the power even after bypassing it supposedly. I found myself running 4 low on slick clay roads in a truck with 37s and my son in a dodge with 33s going around me in 2wd.
I switch to dodge ram and they do work but its not overkill like chevy.
I dont think traction control works at all in this jl.

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2018 Mojito! JLUR [GONE];
I left chevy because traction control was overkill on muddy roads. It constantly cut the power even after bypassing it supposedly. I found myself running 4 low on slick clay roads in a truck with 37s and my son in a dodge with 33s going around me in 2wd.
I switch to dodge ram and they do work but its not overkill like chevy.
I dont think traction control works at all in this jl.
Its funny...I have gotten my Jeep to slide many times anywhere from 5mph to 78mph and never once have I felt traction control kick in or a light to indicate it is working. After that, I have been driving it like it is a classic vehicle with no traction control at all or engage 4H more frequently when its raining heavy etc. So maybe you are onto something!

Cheers

Oletimer

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlr 2017 ram
Occupation
Logging Contractor
Its funny...I have gotten my Jeep to slide many times anywhere from 5mph to 78mph and never once have I felt traction control kick in or a light to indicate it is working. After that, I have been driving it like it is a classic vehicle with no traction control at all or engage 4H more frequently when its raining heavy etc. So maybe you are onto something!

Cheers
My dad told me 45 years ago to drive the jeep like your hauling eggs and you will never have a issue , so far so good.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
My friend just bought a Rubicon a few months ago and the first thing I warned him about was the spinning and sliding around the corners especially since he lives in Atlanta where it gets icy in the winter.

I told him the ESS works but it doesn't kick in as fast as most other cars and if he's not careful he could spin the whole jeep around and into a ditch.

What OP experienced is kinda like what happens when you see muscle car drivers try to spin their wheels out when leaving a car show...the rear end starts to slide out and instead of staying on the throttle to control the slide they release the gas which causes an instant weight transfer throwing the car in the other direction and eventually into a ditch or into the other lane across the road.

So when I start to slide I just stay on the throttle until ESS kicks in. ESS won't kick in if you let off the throttle because then there is nothing for it to do since the driver has already done it.
Also, the Jeep is especially fun in the snow.

My recommendation is similar to the other posters...find a large parking lot or something similar when it's wet and practice driving at and beyond the limits of your traction. Better yet, find a driving school that can teach you these principles. I plan to send both my kids to a local school so they can learn what to do in these situations without risking my own cars and do it in a controlled environment versus on the open road.
Sponsored