Sponsored

Asuriyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR (6MT)
Cool story! Yes, these Jeeps are pretty amazing, even stock. Did you get video of it?

I don't think I would have attempted it with my Jeep in stock form. I was surprised at how well it did, but in all fairness the depth of the water surprised me too. I used to go across that as a passenger in others vehicles but it was never that deep. On the first crossing, as I got close to the opposite side the back end floated a bit with the current because I could feel it drift. I'm not planning to attempt anything like that again any time soon. lol
Everyone that was with me was in the Jeep and regrettably I didn't think to have anyone record, but I did get some pictures further up in the shallows, and of the damage. It was a rock creek bed with deeper spots and I drove down the length of it. Later in the day a couple with a side-by-side informed me I wasn't the first person to have blown a tire in that spot... should have asked the locals first, but it was a fun (if slightly expensive) "hold my beer" moment.

Jeep Wrangler JL Almost sank my new Jeep Rubicon in deep water fording! jeep1
Jeep Wrangler JL Almost sank my new Jeep Rubicon in deep water fording! jeep2
Sponsored

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
That was cool - almost as crazy as these guys 😜

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
The maximum water fording spec is 30" (32" for the 392). It looks like Steve did not exceed this level. A very impressive video. Good job Steve!

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
In PA here too. Where exactly is that crossing? Is that a forest road?

OP
OP
stevieb92

stevieb92

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0t
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The maximum water fording spec is 30" (32" for the 392). It looks like Steve did not exceed this level. A very impressive video. Good job Steve!
Thanks for checking out the video! Obviously I didn't get out and measure the depth of the water, but my tires are the BFG KO2 315/70R17 (stock is 285/70R17) which are about 34-1/2 inches tall. After reviewing the video footage, the water looked darn close to the top of the tires at a couple spots. I also had 2 inch springs which actually gave about 2-1/4 inch of lift. So, with the additional lift and a taller tire, the 30 inch max spec may be closer (or exceed?) to the spec of the 392. If anyone knows the items that are the limiting factors to the max fording depth, I'd like to know what they are. Thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
stevieb92

stevieb92

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0t
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
In PA here too. Where exactly is that crossing? Is that a forest road?
This particular creek crossing is between Blackwell and Morris right off Route 414. Stony Fork Creek Road is the name of the road that crosses Babb creek. There is another creek crossing farther up Stony Fork Creek Road that the STPR Road Rally racers use during one of their stages. It used to be a great spectator spot.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Thanks for checking out the video! Obviously I didn't get out and measure the depth of the water, but my tires are the BFG KO2 315/70R17 (stock is 285/70R17) which are about 34-1/2 inches tall. After reviewing the video footage, the water looked darn close to the top of the tires at a couple spots. I also had 2 inch springs which actually gave about 2-1/4 inch of lift. So, with the additional lift and a taller tire, the 30 inch max spec may be closer (or exceed?) to the spec of the 392. If anyone knows the items that are the limiting factors to the max fording depth, I'd like to know what they are. Thanks!
The way I see it, the # 1 limiting factors is water ingestion into the cold air intake. The other factors are water depth vs. current speed. I have seen videos where Jeeps get washed downstream due to the buoyancy of the vehicle and the current. I also worry about water intrusion into the mechanical gearboxes and the interior.

OP
OP
stevieb92

stevieb92

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0t
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The way I see it, the # 1 limiting factors is water ingestion into the cold air intake. The other factors are water depth vs. current speed. I have seen videos where Jeeps get washed downstream due to the buoyancy of the vehicle and the current. I also worry about water intrusion into the mechanical gearboxes and the interior.
Right. I have the Mishimoto CAI and that was my biggest worry. But, other than that and the breathers for the axles, transfer case and trans, I wasn't sure if there was something else. I'm not so much worried about water getting into the inside because that can dry out. Thanks!

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Deep crossing in moving water can be a fatal mistake. Ever wonder why manhole covers can float in a flood?

Glad y are safe, but don’t forget the other 3 people were ballast. Same conditions less their 500#+ a you easily float and roll.

Sponsored

OP
OP
stevieb92

stevieb92

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0t
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Deep crossing in moving water can be a fatal mistake. Ever wonder why manhole covers can float in a flood?

Glad y are safe, but don’t forget the other 3 people were ballast. Same conditions less their 500#+ a you easily float and roll.
Thanks for checking out the video. Good points.

Just for the record, I was alone in my Jeep for the crossing.

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thanks for checking out the video. Good points.

Just for the record, I was alone in my Jeep for the crossing.
Got it and thanks for sharing. I’ll check out your adventures. I did get your post mixed up with the tire failure post. Looks like there was a bridge on site at some point.

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for checking out the video! I'm planning to do a video going through all the mods I have so far, but here's the list of the tires main suspension components.

BFG KO2 315/70R17 Load C
Rusty's Off Road 2 Inch Springs
Falcon SP2 3.3 Fast Adjust Piggyback Shocks
Falcon Nexus EF 2.1 Steering Stabilizer
Rock Krawler X Factor Lower Control Arms (front and rear)
Rock Krawler X Factor Adjustable Track Bars (front and rear)
Hows the ride feel compared to stock, can you feel a difference and is it better on the road?

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

You should check for water in your differential. It does not sound like your have raised the breather tubes and you were definitely in deeper than that. Did you check your intake at all to see if there was any water in there? The way you entered from the far side could have easily splashed up a bit. Not being critical, just things to check.
Sponsored