Sponsored

Almost made it to 9,000 miles before.....

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
The dreaded windshield crack. It sounded like a small rock when it hit and a few minutes after we noticed it my wife made the comment that it was getting bigger, so we drew a line on the windshield (red mark in picture) to make sure. Within a few minutes we saw it grow like Pinocchio's nose as we continued driving and when it was all said and done it almost reached the end of the windshield. Man, these windshields sure are a piece of crap.

Jeep Windshield.jpg
Sponsored

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
It’s not the windshield it’s the vertical design. windshield film is the only way I’ve ever managed to solve this.

Powerwagon1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1982 Jeep CJ5, 2017 Powerwagon
The dreaded windshield crack. It sounded like a small rock when it hit and a few minutes after we noticed it my wife made the comment that it was getting bigger, so we drew a line on the windshield (red mark in picture) to make sure. Within a few minutes we saw it grow like Pinocchio's nose as we continued driving and when it was all said and done it almost reached the end of the windshield. Man, these windshields sure are a piece of crap.

Jeep Windshield.jpg
Yes they are, Just had my first one replaced yesterday at 5,500 mi. Join the club !

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
It’s not the windshield it’s the vertical design. windshield film is the only way I’ve ever managed to solve this.
My TJ and JK had windshields that were more upright and I never had to replace a windshield. I am on #2 now. I think the JL Acoustic Glass is thiner. And the glass company QC is questionable.

What film are you using? How durable is it? How long has it been on and does using wipers damage it? How much did it cost and ant warranty? Thanks.

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
My TJ and JK had windshields that were more upright and I never had to replace a windshield. I am on #2 now. I think the JL Acoustic Glass is thiner. And the glass company QC is questionable.

What film are you using? How durable is it? How long has it been on and does using wipers damage it? How much did it cost and ant warranty? Thanks.

https://madico.com/automotive/windshield-protection

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
racing optics films is what i just purchased
racingopticsjeep is the direct site for this ,
u can also check out the regular site for more info racingoptics i think theres more videos there of the install of other cars/ options
it lasts about 6 or 7 months depending on how much u beat it up
its from track racing - motocross world

its cut to fit ,and goes on like a window tint
comes with everything u need to slap it on 30 minutes or more if u move slow lol
-a full day and its cured to use the wipers again
after it gets all messed up a few months down the road, or covered in gritty messy mud,
u peel off the top layer and go onto the next clean layer underneath
protects against the rocks and is uv coated .. waiting for it to be put on as its going to be nasty weather the next few days ..
i will get photos / if / when i slap it on the jeep

its a little pricey but if it keeps the Kraken away im happy , wish i found this sooner
https://racingopticsjeep.com/

Sponsored

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Unlimited
I'm actually having my first one replaced today with Gorilla glass after a little over 28,000 miles

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
If they were out in with rubber seals there wiuld be less stress on the glass and it would reduce cracks. But they are put in with adhesive so as to be a stressed part of the structure. It’s done for safety at the expense of durability.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Just over 11,000 here in Colorado, no major chips or cracks yet. I will jinx myself and probably catch one on on the way to work today now...

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Unlimited
Just over 11,000 here in Colorado, no major chips or cracks yet. I will jinx myself and probably catch one on on the way to work today now...
I jinxed myself 2 weeks ago when I was at my dealership for scheduled maintenance and I said that I've made it almost a year without a cracked windshield. The following week I had a cracked windshield!!! I sitting here now @ Three Rivers Autoglass waiting for my Gorilla glass windshield to be installed!

Miloe

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I made it around 6-8 months on the first windshield.
Mounted the lights and 2 weeks later, cracked windshield.
Had to take the lights off to replace the glass.
So far, around a year on the second windshield.
Sponsored