Allure of the BOH trails (opinion)

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Maybe he has never looked at his time line in google maps. You know the timeline that shows every place you went and how long you were there. That is sorted by day, places, city or the world.

This is what mine currently looks like. I think they only track it for 18 months.

IMG_4005.jpg

yea, I get around........ Retirement is tough, but someone has to do. it.
Spotty service based locating is far from the minute by minute tracking it would take to make the program uncheatable. That is a whole other level. Add in the fact that theyā€™d have to hire a shit ton of people to verify those gps logs, it would add that much more processing to badge delivery times, and it still wouldnā€™t be fool proof. I donā€™t see the gain for Jeep or us end users? Itā€™s a free program, it has honor in the name, thereā€™s no reward to be had for running the most trails or collecting all the badges. You arenā€™t in competition with anyone else. If you see a compass at the mall, bone stock, not a scratch on it, wearing a rubicon trail, Pritchett canyon, or gut buster badge, you know heā€™s a poser. If other peopleā€™s dishonesty or cheating tarnishes you in some way, you are really screwed. There are a bunch of shitty people in the world, I donā€™t need to jump through extra hoops to one up them. The program is about the adventures, with you, your rig, and the people you choose to spend your time with. Stop worrying about what other people do to get their Badges. Itā€™s like Jeepā€™s with low profile tires, I think itā€™s a stupid use of a Jeep, but 100% support the owners right to do dumb shit with THEIR property.
Sponsored

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
Zandcwhite, agreed. I guess I didn't read the first part of the post. Why the HELL would you say you ran a trail when you didn't. Some peoples kids. The thought never crossed my mind. I want to run them for the adventure, being outside with mother nature, my wife and enjoying this country God created. I already know there is a whole bunch of the BOH trails I can't get through with my stock Willy's. I may never make some of them, or maybe one day I will modify the old Sarge and get out west to some diff. ones. For me it's not about getting all of them, just having fun and collecting a few here and there when I can.

Thanks for the Info. on Windrock also, this is one I was looking at doing. The easy ones. I am not that experienced so need to do the easier ones for a while until I get some good experience under my belt. Thanks.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Sway bar disconnects and 33" tires are all I've done to mine. It also has factory rock rails and a LSD in the rear axle. I did a whole lot of 4 wheeling in my old '86 Toyota pickup with open diffs and 31" tires, so I feel pretty confident that my current set up will meet my needs. I'll be in Moab in 2 weeks and plan on the Colorado San Juans next September.
We will be up there next September also, a 4 day stop on the way to Moab early in that month

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is my first Wrangler and I love it, and the thought of doing nothing but traveling around and doing trails is in my thoughts every day. (Even though it's still a ways off.) I think the BOH program is very cool, something that Jeep does not have to do that just sets Jeep apart.

Wife and I are going up to NC/TN area over Thanksgiving and I am hoping to get my first BOH or 2 while we are up there. Explained it to the wife and she is all in. Of course she hasn't seen the trails yet. LOL.
We Will be at Windrock in Tenn. over the Thxgiving week.

Sponsored

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Drytellsr, nice. I will try to put a post on here on the day we are going to try and head that way. Looking forward to it.

jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s, 21 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Maybe to some people they get them to say they were there... Like the National Park Passport stamps. I only get the stamp once Ive hiked it or travelled through it. I have heard people just stop by the visitors center get the stamp and never really enjoy the park or...... they mail the rangers to get the stamp. While I think that takes alot of the fun out of collecting and getting the stamps it is what it is. Its their life not mine they can do as they please.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
"So off my soapbox. Still love doing the badge trails, love that Jeep does this for Jeep owners. I think it is very cool. That they have identified trails all over the US and provided away so that Jeep owners can easily find/map to the trails and they have a fairly accurate description of the trail. I also think that Jeep should make the rules a little more stringent. The I can check into the trail and not run the trail should be addressed. The badges just don't mean as much now that I know that you don't have to run the actual trail and can still get the badge."

My Emphasis:

This makes me a little sad. I did not know/must not have read this in the threads. I would agree that there should be a way to be positive the trail was run. Not sure how in some areas where there is spotty to no reception. Not a tech guy here but there has to be a way. Seems to take away the meaning/intent OF the program.
Just take a bunch of cool pics on the BOH trails if anyone were to doubt you did them, plus it's great to reinforce your memories of said trails when you get old & gray :)

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Drytellsr, nice. I will try to put a post on here on the day we are going to try and head that way. Looking forward to it.
I made our reservations for an RV site at the KOA about 30 miles away from Windrock from 23-27 Nov. We will wheel on 24th-26th and pot luck thanksgiving dinner at the KOA with my cousin.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
i think its a pretty cool program. Gives people a destination to go and have fun. Then they can come on the forum or go to their local jeep club and talk about having run that particular trail and someone else may have done it in the rain or snow or who knows and can share experiences about the trails. I used to collect shot glasses from different places i went, id buy a state one, and if i found a Harley dealer id buy one from there. Cheap remembrance of the trip.

Sponsored

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Drytellsr, sounds like you got a good plan. I actually booked this trip before I bought my jeep. Hindsight 2020 deal. We are staying in Maggy Valley NC. There were 2 places I was looking at going. The first was Windrock and the 2nd was Gulches in SC.

Looking at the mileage, Windrock is 125 miles from Maggy Valley, and Gulches is 137 miles from Maggy Valley. Of course in the mountains everything takes a little longer than a straight shot on the freeway. I would like to do both but will have to wait and see what happens.

So question, I was thinking for sure I want to go to Windrock, but never been to either. So if there is somebody that has been to both which would you recommend? Because I may only get to do 1 or the other.

Thanks

jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s, 21 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Windrock has 2 trails you can do stock 51 and the other one. 16 is supposedly really tough. Im making my trip out to be a fun one with as many NPs and BOHs I can do on my way back to CA

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜94 YJ, ā€˜21 JLR, ā€˜22 JLUR XR, ā€˜23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Windrock has 2 trails you can do stock 51 and the other one. 16 is supposedly really tough. Im making my trip out to be a fun one with as many NPs and BOHs I can do on my way back to CA
You can do #16 stock but be prepared to crunch your stock fenders and even your mirrors sliding in the mud pitching and rolling. Thank god for plastic.

Just donā€™t let your guard down afterwards. šŸ™ˆ

Jeep Wrangler JL Allure of the BOH trails (opinion) D53BF7EC-8ED5-46F9-AAB7-CD14FF632469

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can do #16 stock but be prepared to crunch your stock fenders and even your mirrors sliding in the mud pitching and rolling. Thank god for plastic.

Just donā€™t let your guard down afterwards. šŸ™ˆ

Jeep Wrangler JL Allure of the BOH trails (opinion) D53BF7EC-8ED5-46F9-AAB7-CD14FF632469
I would say #26 and #51 can be done stock. #16 is no joke. I threw a tire and had 16 lbs of pressure in it. damaged both front and rear fenders on the passenger side. It was quite the challenge. I would say its the most troublesome trail, That I have done, on the BOH list so far and I have completed only 16 trails to date.

trail 16.jpg
Sponsored