Sponsored

All weather floor mats, drain sticking up?

ToothMechanic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Billet JLUR
So...I just picked up my jeep with all weather mats.

I noticed that that mats are sticking up and aren't fastened down well on the sides closest to the door. On the bottom of the mat it looks like there is a drain. I watched a video that suggested that you were supposed to remove the grommet from the floor, push the drain through, and then put the grommet in the mat...so that you can.....hose out your floor mat inside of your nice car??? Rather than just take it out and hose it off?? Or that it's to allow water to drain out of floorboards if you drive in too deep?

To me this seems crazy. Anybody just cut the drain off of the bottom of the floor mat so it seats down properly? Just curious what people have done.
Sponsored

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I just kept the floor plugs installed, inserted another pair in the mats, and cut the drain protrusions off with a hacksaw. Based on internet research and advice from others, the mat/floor drain system is great in theory, but not necessarily in practice. Should have just bought the Weathertech or Husky mats.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

To me this seems crazy. Anybody just cut the drain off of the bottom of the floor mat so it seats down properly?
It's not crazy. The Wrangler is designed to be a utilitarian vehicle that suits the needs of different drivers/people. As you know, the Wrangler already comes with drain holes in the floorboards. The all weather/slush mats are an extension of those. The mats are designed to protect your floorboard area, but still allow the original functionality of the factory drain hole & plug.

When I do a quick clean of my JL, I pull the plug from the floor mat and brush any loose dirt/debris down the hole. Of course if the mats need a deep clean, I remove them.

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
It's not crazy. The Wrangler is designed to be a utilitarian vehicle that suits the needs of different drivers/people. As you know, the Wrangler already comes with drain holes in the floorboards. The all weather/slush mats are an extension of those. The mats are designed to protect your floorboard area, but still allow the original functionality of the factory drain hole & plug.

When I do a quick clean of my JL, I pull the plug from the floor mat and brush any loose dirt/debris down the hole. Of course if the mats need a deep clean, I remove them.
Question about the all weather slush mats: I just installed mine today on my 21. I love em' think they're a great alternative to carpet and are nice looking, especially with the red letters against the all black interior. The question is: how well does that mat seal with the holes in the floor boards if you install them as instructed? I pulled the plug beneath the carpet, removed the small piece of pre-cut carpet, then seated the mats firmly in position, snapping everything in nice n' tight, then put the plug in the mat hole. However... I'm thinking when driving through wet weather, it's likely moisture will make its way into that hole between carpet and metal and it'll be something I need to keep an eye on. Seems there's just no way the 'nub' from the matts can seal as tightly as the original plugs. Anyone have any real-world wet weather experience with these installed 'properly?'

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Anyone have any real-world wet weather experience with these installed 'properly?'
Yes. Driven through snow and rain with zero issues. No issues with sprays from car wash either.

Sponsored

Robellion

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
There is a video floating around YouTube that has a southern fella explaining how to remedy the issue of the drain plug NOT fitting properly into the floor. If you notice, when you push the mat extruded part into the floor, it doesn't seal in correctly. A design flaw. Anyway, he suggests that you line it with windshield adhesive and press in. I did this, and am very happy with it. When I need to clean the mats, I simply take the plug out and pour water into the mat bowl and scrub a little. Water pours right out without seeping into your carpet. Only downside is you cannot pull the mats out randomly- you would have to reseal. Sorry I don't have the video link.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR, 2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Question about the all weather slush mats: I just installed mine today on my 21. I love em' think they're a great alternative to carpet and are nice looking, especially with the red letters against the all black interior. The question is: how well does that mat seal with the holes in the floor boards if you install them as instructed? I pulled the plug beneath the carpet, removed the small piece of pre-cut carpet, then seated the mats firmly in position, snapping everything in nice n' tight, then put the plug in the mat hole. However... I'm thinking when driving through wet weather, it's likely moisture will make its way into that hole between carpet and metal and it'll be something I need to keep an eye on. Seems there's just no way the 'nub' from the matts can seal as tightly as the original plugs. Anyone have any real-world wet weather experience with these installed 'properly?'
Go to Amazon, or quadratec, and order two more factory drain plugs. What I did was leave the plugs in the jeep's floor, remove the little carpet that is pre-perforated above that plug, which helps the mat funnel sit a little lower, then put the new extra body plugs in the floor mats. If I ever need to drain them, I pop up that corner carefully so the water stays in the mat, pull the body plug, put the funnel down into the hole, then pull the plug out of the floor mat and out the water goes. Then re-seal both plugs. Functionality, without he worry of seepage from the bottom.

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks guys. Everyone. Did a little field trip Saturday seeking mud puddles then hit the car wash on way home. As installed they appear to work fine-though long term confidence isn’t super high. I’ll be exploring each remedy. I like the certainty of the butyl tape (windshield sealant) the guy in the video uses, but don’t like how it prevents easy on/off. I do like the certainty of the extra drain plug and will see how that solution works. I’ve kept the little carpet pieces just in case… of what I’m not sure :) . One thing for sure: I LOVE those mats. No worries at all climbing in and out with all kids of junk (mud, cow manure…) on foot… easy to clean and saves carpet. Thanks again for all the great input.

Sponsored

Cowboy from hell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Dr Rubicon hydro pearl 6 speed
Im not sold on the mopar mats with plug. Good idea but I suspect more internal water damage or rust from this application. I myself are going to pick up the quadratec ultimate floor mats instead. Seems more rugged and durable and I love the deep lug tread pattern. If I find myself with a fish aquarium in my floorboards, I will simply pull over and pop out floor plugs to drain then re install plugs and mats and air dry. If Im near a shop vac I will vac up water and moisture. Im just not confident that the mopar mats installed into plug hole will be watertight 24/7.....ymmv

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
On paper a great concept. In practical application....are you kidding?
They do not seal well and water can get trapped beneath the mat and floor.

I have several wheeling partners and including myself we've all moved on to Rugged Ridge or others.
Sponsored