trwkane

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler 2dr Willys
Hey guys,

I've recently bought my first wrangler. I bought a 2022 Wrangler Willys 2 dr. I love the styling but it came equipped with Firestone Destination M/T2 and the mud terrain tires are a bit much for my use. I hear they are not great in snow and ice, get louder with time on road, and I'm not loving the fuel economy lol.

Needless to say I'm looking for a set of A/T's that perform decently off-road, are snow rated and are a little more well sorted for the highway.

Any suggestions out there with real world fuel economy numbers?
Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
KO2’s are quiet, and they do good in West Coast snow so I suspect they’ll do well in Ontario. My gut says they do well on MPG compared to other A/T’s, but I have no evidence. Anecdotally Jeep picked them for the Rubicon default tire.

luckysharm

First Name
SHAR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Sport Altitude-Hella, 22 Sport Altitude-Gobi
I might be wrong, but check the tire weight. Heavier tires = less mpg

I had made a list a while back for myself with A/T tires that don’t weigh too much and would fit my stock 18” wheels:

Bridgestone dueler a/t revo 3
LT275/70R18 - 125/122S E - 50 pounds

Goodyear WRANGLER DURATRAC
LT275/70R18 - 121/118R — 54 pounds

Nitto ridge grappler all terrain tire
275/70R18 —— 55.6 pounds

Kanati KU-254 trail hog a/t-4 tire
275/70R18 —-56.3 pounds

Sponsored

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
I'm going with Nito Terra Grapple rs........I will never have a Mud Terrain again!

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Falken Wildpeak AT3W’s all the way. Check ‘em out, definitely! 👍
X2… These are the best available as of current. They have the most tread depth of any AT tire. Very quiet., excellent ride and handling characteristics, they don’t pick up rocks like the KO2’s, snow rated and excellent on wet pavement.

Signing Spock

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Mons, Belgium (originally, Sn Antonio, TX)
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Sport; 22 JLU Willys Sport
Occupation
USAF
I might be wrong, but check the tire weight. Heavier tires = less mpg

I had made a list a while back for myself with A/T tires that don’t weigh too much and would fit my stock 18” wheels:

Bridgestone dueler a/t revo 3
LT275/70R18 - 125/122S E - 50 pounds

Goodyear WRANGLER DURATRAC
LT275/70R18 - 121/118R — 54 pounds

Nitto ridge grappler all terrain tire
275/70R18 —— 55.6 pounds

Kanati KU-254 trail hog a/t-4 tire
275/70R18 —-56.3 pounds
Yep, the Duratracs in 285/70/17 size are sub-50 lbs if I remember correctly. That’s insane for a fairly beefy AT. I was surprised to see General Tire’s AT option weighed a shit-ton in the same size. I was originally leaning towards them but the pure weight difference from them to literally everyone else was pretty crazy so I threw them off my list.

@ OP, I am very fortunate to have amazing Jeep friends, one of whom gave me 35” Falken Wildpeak ATs (the old design, not the new AT3s) but that being said, I fully intend to go to the AT3s when these die. I have a 2.0T JLU and fuel economy very much matters to me as well…however, I fully intend to wheel my Jeep semi-often (probably a few times a year)…so the capabilityis also a heavy requirement for me. In my research/opinion, the AT3s provide a sweet spot of not too heavy, not too aggressive, and lots of tread depth. And honestly they usually aren’t too badly priced, new.

If on a budget though, the Duratrac’s are a good option too and would probably be the lightest.

OP
OP
trwkane

trwkane

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, the Duratracs in 285/70/17 size are sub-50 lbs if I remember correctly. That’s insane for a fairly beefy AT. I was surprised to see General Tire’s AT option weighed a shit-ton in the same size. I was originally leaning towards them but the pure weight difference from them to literally everyone else was pretty crazy so I threw them off my list.

@ OP, I am very fortunate to have amazing Jeep friends, one of whom gave me 35” Falken Wildpeak ATs (the old design, not the new AT3s) but that being said, I fully intend to go to the AT3s when these die. I have a 2.0T JLU and fuel economy very much matters to me as well…however, I fully intend to wheel my Jeep semi-often (probably a few times a year)…so the capabilityis also a heavy requirement for me. In my research/opinion, the AT3s provide a sweet spot of not too heavy, not too aggressive, and lots of tread depth. And honestly they usually aren’t too badly priced, new.

If on a budget though, the Duratrac’s are a good option too and would probably be the lightest.
Wow awesome advice thank you guys very much. All everyone talks about are the KO2's. It's nice to get some real world feedback from the jeep community.

Sponsored

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
All of the ATs mentioned above are great tires. If you’re not as off-road focused and want to save a bit, you can also add the Yokohama Geolanders to your search. I got mine at Canadian Tire for less than 800 CDN on a sale last year (installed). i used them on mountain fire roads and they were fine, but I wouldn’t use them for serious off-road work. But, they are great in snow, decent on ice, quiet and handle quite well.

OP
OP
trwkane

trwkane

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All of the ATs mentioned above are great tires. If you’re not as off-road focused and want to save a bit, you can also add the Yokohama Geolanders to your search. I got mine at Canadian Tire for less than 800 CDN on a sale last year (installed). i used them on mountain fire roads and they were fine, but I wouldn’t use them for serious off-road work. But, they are great in snow, decent on ice, quiet and handle quite well.
Yeah those look like the ideal road tire. I'm faced with an age old dilemma. Do I want to look cool? Or do I want to be practical? I think I'll likely settle more toward the latter.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I'm running Nokian Rotiva tires on mine. So far, they are still quiet and are snow rated. I have the same brand and model on my Eurovan and they have worked really well.

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Go with the Falken AT’s. If you get the non-LT the compound has silica in it and it grips like a mofo in wet weather. I have them on my XJ and hands down these are my favorite AT I’ve ever had. They ride great, are quiet, hook up awesome in the rain/snow, and even with the non-LT they grab well off road. I’ll be putting them on my JLURD when I swap to 35’s.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Good options throughout this thread. Might just consider a set of Rubicon takeoffs if you can find some in your area. These typically sell for about 1/2 of what a new set of tires go for (at least from what I've seen on the marketplace here).

One think to keep in mind is tread depth, IIRC the Falkens, Mickey Thompson AT, Cooper AT all have at least 18/32nds tread depth which is quite a bit better than the 15/32nds that most AT-based tires have. The Duratracs also have a deeper tread and are very light vs. most of the others.
Sponsored