Sponsored

**ALL NEW** LOD Offroad Armor Lite Rock Sliders - Coming Soon!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
Yo did I just get my first mention that I actually found something useful for others. Lol. I’m usually the new clueless one who is asking all the questions!

Niiice!
Sponsored

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
Huge thanks to @lodoffroad for getting new hardware out to me and providing support on a Sunday. With the new bolts and flag nuts, I was able to complete the install and it was much easier.

In short, the finer threaded bolts (metric) go into the Jeep. The others should hand thread into your flag nuts. On the passenger side, thanks to @jimim who noted you utilize the bolts that are in the skid plate.

Glamour photos to come when the Jeep is clean and in a more attractive place than my driveway.

IMG_3667.jpeg
Looks good man!

Anthony4579

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Rubicon
Finally had the time to install mine this weekend. Install went smoothly, found the combination of the instructions and the Northridge4x4 video very helpful (especially the tip from the video to use a rubber mallet to tap the brackets past the body mount washer). A bit disappointed in the quality control as there is a very visible paint overspray issue on the driver side rail that should have been caught before shipment (probably easy fix in factory).

Jeep Wrangler JL **ALL NEW**  LOD Offroad Armor Lite Rock Sliders - Coming Soon!!! 1606307137493
Jeep Wrangler JL **ALL NEW**  LOD Offroad Armor Lite Rock Sliders - Coming Soon!!! 1606307137493
Jeep Wrangler JL **ALL NEW**  LOD Offroad Armor Lite Rock Sliders - Coming Soon!!! BAF22894-3109-4EBB-885E-EF6D38E6BE98

Sjbiss

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon 4xe
Anyone know if these will fit a Rubicon 4xe?

Sponsored

AtlasRearden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I'm really torn over these rock sliders. Would love something that has a good fit & finish, and makes the wife happy with a nice step, but the whole reason I'm interested in rock sliders is to protect the body from off-road mishaps. What is the verdict on how strong these are? I'm a little confused after reading through this thread and comparing some earlier statements to the way the product is being currently marketed.

At first, it seemed like it could be a very strong and robust rock slider:
Hey Mamacast,
Our Armorlite Sliders will definitely be strong, maybe even stronger than our Destroyer Series. :fingerscrossed: And about 10lbs lighter per side! Keep watching as we'll be posting photos over the next few weeks!
They are very similar to the Destroyer mounts, just stronger. The mounting points are the same and there will be the optional drilling for additional bolts if you plan to bounce them off the rocks. :like:
But then it seemed like it started being billed for someone that only wants to "occasionally hit the trail" and "not for the hardcore":
Why is that ? There is a large market that desire side steps, that may occasionally hit the trail and don't like dealing with the rust issues. And hopefully willing to pay for the added cost of aluminum. :fingerscrossed: Maybe not for the hard core, but able to take some abuse!
Northridge 4x4's installation video further reinforces this, saying the Armor Lites are good for the "soccer mom or soccer dad" and only provides "some off-road protection."

My wife would like a step, and I like the idea of something that has a great fit and finish and complements the OEM styling. But I'm also concerned about the folks that have had their Destroyers flex into the body and cause creases/dents when offroading, and would like to have something that provides very robust protection. I guess I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too, but for $1,300+ I was hoping that might be possible!

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
I have the Armor Lites on my JT and have banged them around a few times. I put a dent in the leading edge of one but just some scratches on the bottom. I think they are durable enough for most trails, it is only rock crawling you have to be concerned about.

My wife has the Destroyers on her 2 door JL and they are much more stout. they have still flexed into the frame once and caused a little dent. I did not drill and add the extra bolt since we do not do heavy rock crawling often. I wish they made them for the JT.

OP
OP
lodoffroad

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
The Armor Lite Body shape was designed to be as strong as the Destroyers, but being they are aluminum they will gouge and dent easier than steel. So in the rocks you will want the add on steel skid plate. The Armor Lite mounts themselves are made from 1/4" and 3/16" steel just like the Destroyers and mount directly to the frame. However the Armor Lite mounts are larger and separate from the slider body and are an upgrade in design over the Destroyer mounts. These have a smooth bottom side and are a slightly stronger. In fact there has been some discussion about changing the Destroyers to use the Armor Lite Mounts for ease of installation and strength, not sure though if or when this would happen.

All sliders will flex a bit when hit. And these being sheetmetal design will flex a bit more than say our Signature sliders which are mounted via thick square tube. But what we have found is that that body of Jeep has a tendency to roll on its body mounts quite a bit which could bring it into contact with the slider if there is not enough gap between the rocker panel and the slider body.

Our Signature Series sliders are heavy duty! And I would recommend them if protection it your main concern. Both the Armor Lite and the Destroyers are definitely capable as well but not really suited for the big hits on the rocks.

AtlasRearden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So in the rocks you will want the add on steel skid plate.
To be clear, I was only considering the Armor Lites in combination with the steel skid plate add-on.

All sliders will flex a bit when hit. And these being sheetmetal design will flex a bit more than say our Signature sliders which are mounted via thick square tube.
Is there enough clearance from the Signature sliders to leave the factory Rubicon rails in place? The Signature sliders would be a no-brainer if I could figure out a nice clean way to finish off the pinch weld. I saw the idea of covering it with a strip of black vinyl, but not sure I'm sold on that.

OP
OP
lodoffroad

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
To be clear, I was only considering the Armor Lites in combination with the steel skid plate add-on.

Is there enough clearance from the Signature sliders to leave the factory Rubicon rails in place? The Signature sliders would be a no-brainer if I could figure out a nice clean way to finish off the pinch weld. I saw the idea of covering it with a strip of black vinyl, but not sure I'm sold on that.
No the rubi rails will not fit with the sliders. I have seen some paint the pinch seam or plasti dip. I think there may be another vendor that offers a thin bolt on strip to cover the pinch seam also, but I dont remember who that is.

Sponsored

ELJeffe77

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0 Turbo, Delivered on 08/30/2021
Occupation
Affiliate Marketer & Search Engine Optimization Consultant
The Armor Lite Body shape was designed to be as strong as the Destroyers, but being they are aluminum they will gouge and dent easier than steel. So in the rocks you will want the add on steel skid plate. The Armor Lite mounts themselves are made from 1/4" and 3/16" steel just like the Destroyers and mount directly to the frame. However the Armor Lite mounts are larger and separate from the slider body and are an upgrade in design over the Destroyer mounts. These have a smooth bottom side and are a slightly stronger. In fact there has been some discussion about changing the Destroyers to use the Armor Lite Mounts for ease of installation and strength, not sure though if or when this would happen.

All sliders will flex a bit when hit. And these being sheetmetal design will flex a bit more than say our Signature sliders which are mounted via thick square tube. But what we have found is that that body of Jeep has a tendency to roll on its body mounts quite a bit which could bring it into contact with the slider if there is not enough gap between the rocker panel and the slider body.

Our Signature Series sliders are heavy duty! And I would recommend them if protection it your main concern. Both the Armor Lite and the Destroyers are definitely capable as well but not really suited for the big hits on the rocks.
Can the skid plates be added on later, or do you need to remove the whole thing to add em? Ty! :)

ELJeffe77

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0 Turbo, Delivered on 08/30/2021
Occupation
Affiliate Marketer & Search Engine Optimization Consultant
Got mine in the mail yesterday, steel plates coming monday. How long do they take to install? watched the Northridge video a few times already, lol
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.