Sponsored

All Electric Wrangler - Interesting Read

PatriotX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe
I say the same thing. If I can plug in my Jeep, go buy a soda and a pack of cigarettes then come out to a full charge, then I'll buy one.
You can’t do this with gasoline currently, to be fair. You’re supposed to stay with the pump to prevent spillage.

Parity would be the time it takes to fill, plus the time to buy your awesome pack of community incense.

The Lucid, E-tron, Genesis, some Kias can do 20-80% in about 15 min today.
Toyota announced 10- minute charging and 700 mile range in 2 years.

We’re almost there.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
You can’t do this with gasoline currently, to be fair. You’re supposed to stay with the pump to prevent spillage.

Parity would be the time it takes to fill, plus the time to buy your awesome pack of community incense.

The Lucid, E-tron, Genesis, some Kias can do 20-80% in about 15 min today.
Toyota announced 10- minute charging and 700 mile range in 2 years.

We’re almost there.
Just need the states who cannot keep the lights on in the summer now to upgrade the grid to handle all of the new EVs and we will be golden...

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
People complain about lack of charging stations, or speed of the stations. Which can be problems on road trips.

I've driven my Rivian about 12k miles in about a year, and have used HVDC stations a total of 8 times, two of those were before my home charger was installed. Four of the stops were in one day, on an extended trip. People want as many chargers as gas pumps, because thats what they know. They ignore that they are probably driving less than 250 miles a day. And reading some of these posts they also expect their Jeep 4xE to charge as fast as their iphone off of a 120v circuit. My Rivian charges off of a 220v circuit at 22miles/hour. Plug in for a little over four hours to get 100miles of range. I don't wait until empty to fill my Jeep, why would I with something else. My two door Wrangler and my Rivian have about the same range when full, the Jeep costs about $70 to fill up from empty, my Rivian is about $21 to fill up at home.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
My math may be a little off, but the Wrangler Rubicon in 4Lo should have around 10,000 Lb of torque in first gear.
At what rpm is that? Available and used are vastly different.

Please show your math, for entertainment purposes.

PatriotX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe

Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
People complain about lack of charging stations, or speed of the stations. Which can be problems on road trips.

I've driven my Rivian about 12k miles in about a year, and have used HVDC stations a total of 8 times, two of those were before my home charger was installed. Four of the stops were in one day, on an extended trip. People want as many chargers as gas pumps, because thats what they know. They ignore that they are probably driving less than 250 miles a day. And reading some of these posts they also expect their Jeep 4xE to charge as fast as their iphone off of a 120v circuit. My Rivian charges off of a 220v circuit at 22miles/hour. Plug in for a little over four hours to get 100miles of range. I don't wait until empty to fill my Jeep, why would I with something else. My two door Wrangler and my Rivian have about the same range when full, the Jeep costs about $70 to fill up from empty, my Rivian is about $21 to fill up at home.
I’m lucky, in Oregon we have cheap electricity it’s less than $10 to fill up.
Jeep Wrangler JL All Electric Wrangler - Interesting Read 916A9036-4C3B-40A2-BCC1-911840519685

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Heres an interesting read about the grid and EVs

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-electric-vehicles-wont-break-the-grid/

F.U.D. Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt. Please don’t be a victim.
There is an inherent problem with the grid not being able to supply current power needs at different times of the year as it stands today--that is a fact and we have seen it manifest itself a number of times in the past 10 years.

While I am not in the doom and gloom mode some may be with views towards EVs, it cannot be disregarded that more EVs, (more load) on the grid will have an impact. What that may be and what issues it may cause will not be known until there is a larger majority of EVs that have replaced ICE. Upgrades will have to be made to sustain the grid--of that there can be no doubt.

Last edited:

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
There is an inherent problem with the grid not being able to supply current power needs at different times of the year as it stands today--that is a fact and we have seen it manifest itself a number of times in the past 10 years.

While I am not in the doom and gloom mode some may be with views towards EVs, it cannot be disregarded that more EVs, (more load) on the grid will have an impact. What that may be and how it will manifest itself will not be known until there is a larger majority of EVs that have replaced ICE. Upgrades will have to be made to sustain the grid--of that there can be no doubt.
The government should probably be spending the billions on the grid, rather than pay rich people to buy EVs, or gas guzzlers in the case of the 4xe scam, and pay even richer people to install ? chargers that don't work.

ecomguy

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3 etron
Clubs

Ordered a gas, manual, 2 dr wrangler to be a bit of a “last hurrah” to the outgoing automotive generation. I’m excited to see what’s coming next, though, as automakers develop ground-up EV designs rather than shoehorning EV powertrains into ICE vehicle architecture.

A few days ago, I rode in a friend’s Lucid Air. Fast, serene and quiet interior, comfortable, great visibility, tons of storage, and to me, a really fascinating design.

Offroading top-down without exhaust fumes or the noise of idling engines sounds pretty nice. Run out of charge? Perhaps tow charging could be used to get out of a jam. For extended trips ir camping, where daily mileage is low, it would be awesome to have solar available to support accessories and to trickle some additional range. Secure storage where the engine currently lives would be great, too; the Wrangler could keep its spartan open cabin while also offering a dry out of sight location for things.

Sponsored

desertdude59

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys

Keep drinking the kool-aid. When ICE goes away the power company will charge you what they want. You'll have times when you can charge and road taxes added. Lmao. That smart meter on your house can be turned off with the push of a button. ??????

KCSgtMaj

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY24 Rubicon Unlimited, 3.6L
Occupation
Retired Marine, Master Plumber
I think it will be a flop. No more Back Country Discovery Routes for the all EV Wrangler. I just don’t get it, maybe someone can explain it to me.

KCSgtMaj

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY24 Rubicon Unlimited, 3.6L
Occupation
Retired Marine, Master Plumber
I guess you must have a 300 mile daily commute or go on road trips weekly, but one advantage to EVs is you have the "gas station" right there in your garage. As long as you're not exceeding your battery's range daily, it should actually be more convenient.

That said, I definitely agree it (at least for now) isn't as convenient if you're on a road trip. Or if you have a very long commute. Or if you need to run the heater in sub-zero outdoor temps. Also a lot of the features the cars come with are stupid (like electronic door latches, touch screen EVERYTHING, glass roofs, etc).

Like, I think there's plenty of great reasons to not buy an EV. OTOH, I think there are good reasons to buy an EV, and I think a lot of people are just being ridiculous. But that's what people do. It's like the people who own a Ford F150 - a big ass ugly full size pickup truck - for that ONE TIME a year they bring home a bag of dirt from Home Depot. That bag of dirt.. ya know the one that they offer free delivery on lmao.

And they get stuck driving a crappy pickup the whole year for that one bag of dirt. SMH.
Haters gonna hate.?

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Keep drinking the kool-aid. When ICE goes away the power company will charge you what they want. You'll have times when you can charge and road taxes added. Lmao. That smart meter on your house can be turned off with the push of a button. ??????
I honestly can't tell if this is your true feelings/education on the topic or if its a sarcastic comment. Well done!

desertdude59

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys
I honestly can't tell if this is your true feelings/education on the topic or if its a sarcastic comment. Well done!
Maybe a little of both ????? I would say that electricity will go up, I know some states were bitching because EVs aren't paying a gas tax for the roads, I know the grid isn't ready for all these electric cars, but as far as the smart meter goes we don't live in China so the lights will probably stay on. Lol. I drive too far for work for an electric vehicle so the technology has the get better. I honestly respect everyone's opinions because people use their vehicles in different ways.
Sponsored