Sponsored

FiveBoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Restaurant chains should start putting them in. Would probably get people coming in to eat while charging there vehicles since it will take some time to charge it up.
And massage parlors
Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Restaurant chains should start putting them in.
Definitely! But now I'm just imagining an Applebee's in suburbia with row upon row of metallic charging stations and it makes me shudder lol

I don't know. In my crazy dreams, electric motors will get to a point where charging is an option, but a tertiary option. Panels and other regenerative technologies will get us to the point where batteries will lose charge at incredibly slow rates, allowing vehicles to run for hundreds of miles before hooking up a cable to charge becomes a necessity.

This is maybe within my lifetime lol

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
Restaurant chains should start putting them in. Would probably get people coming in to eat while charging there vehicles since it will take some time to charge it up.
Nice idea, but economically it wouldn't be good business. Eating establishments need customers coming and going, this is why speed is so important. Get them fed and out the door, to free up the table for the next guest. It's all about volume.

The last thing you would want is people slowly eating their meal, shooting the shit and tying up a table so they can get that "extra" charge on their vehicle out in the parking lot. You can only eat so much, or drink so much. Retail stores.....might be a different story. Keep them in the store spending money impulse shopping.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
How much will the electric charging cost at a " Gas station? "
Motor fuels currently have Federal, State, and Local taxes, that equal a significant portion of the cost per gallon. Losing a significant portion of the income stream isn't an option, so seeing how an electric " gallon" will be figured cost wise will be interesting. If we figure we're going to save money by not buying gas, Surprise ! We will get hit a surcharge to pay for that missing tax the Government relies on .

LFMS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
We will have to see. But 4Xe was presented as a 4-door since day one.

Besides, FCA has a track record for launching 2-door EVs. The newest Fiat EV would have had a greater chance on the market had they used the 500X 4-door SUV instead of the 2-door 500 micro car.

My guess is, based on what we are seeing, that FCA has chosen the 2-door Wrangler for electrification likely to extract the most range it possibly can, without stopping to think that (2-doors) X (EV) = very little sales.

Chances are, a 2-door Wrangler EV will lose some of the precious little cargo space it has to the batteries. The Fiat 500e was essentially a 2-seater: the batteries lifted the floor in the rear, rendering those seats unusable.
I really hope the 2-door wrangler doesnā€™t lose any further cargo space, I already struggle packing as it is now.
In regards to the fiat 500, their main market is Europe, and they sell them a lot - now they only offer them in EV or mild-hybrid (same as etorque system in the JLā€™s but with smaller engines). It has already expanded to the Panda, and I have no doubt they will expand to the 500x - but the 500 is their biggest money maker, hence the focus on it. Just so you have an idea, the 500 had a redesign in 2015 in Europe that has never made it to the US.

In the meanwhile I really hope they come out with EVā€™s for all the wrangler line-up, it would be pretty nice!

Sponsored

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
Motor fuels currently have Federal, State, and Local taxes, that equal a significant portion of the cost per gallon. Losing a significant portion of the income stream isn't an option, so seeing how an electric " gallon" will be figured cost wise will be interesting. If we figure we're going to save money by not buying gas, Surprise ! We will get hit a surcharge to pay for that missing tax the Government relies on .
Funny you bring this up.

I have not researched this or read anything myself, for the record.

A few days ago I was bragging up electric vehicles to my wife (she hates them).
Anyway, she said Utah (our state) is talking about adding a large few to your annual registration to offset tax revenue lost at the fuel pump. This would only apply to EV type vehicles.

I certainly hope this is not true. Just the fact they would even consider this pisses me off.

LFMS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I canā€˜t really speak for here in the US, as I usually just see charging stations at certain malls, but in Europe they became available in pretty much every public parking, malls, and main gas stations(for example highway gas stations generally have it). To incentivize people to buy EVā€™s, they also made parking free in the city for them (free charge + free parking), but this will eventually go away.

This only started happening once there was legislation made for that, but they put up a basic network surprisingly fast, even though itā€™s far from perfect and still not enough.

The fact that governments (at European and national level) got involved meant that there are actual financial incentives for people to move to EV, because in the end they save a lot of money (a gas tank easily costs you 100/120usd there).
If the US doesnā€™t follow the same route and starts taxing EVā€™s to compensate for Gas taxes then it will be hard for folks to make the move.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
FYI: "electric gallon" = kWh (kilowatt hour, which is 1000 watts for one hour).

The taxes are going to happen regardless of where or how the filling up is done.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The average gas station stop is 8 minutes; I believe the fastest charge on a Tesla is still 30 minutes.

Until we can get a full charge in under 15 minutes, I donā€™t see gas stations adding an electric charging lane any time soon.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I will conceptually ā€œfirm passā€

not for me-have fun

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Until we can get a full charge in under 15 minutes, I donā€™t see gas stations adding an electric charging lane any time soon.
Yea, that's the other thing. Until a full charge for most vehicles is consistently under 15 minutes (preferably even 10), that's another major hurdle. I would be ok with the half hour a few times a year on longer road trips, but having to wait 20 minutes at the "pump" after work because my car needs a charge sounds crushing.

Then again, the thinking would probably be to try and do most of your commute charging at nights in the garage, with trips to the "pump" mostly relegated to out-of-the-ordinary longer drives.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
The average gas station stop is 8 minutes; I believe the fastest charge on a Tesla is still 30 minutes.

That's from completely empty to completely full, which hopefully never happens.

According to this you can get 75 miles of range in 5 minutes.

Edit: that was V3 (250 kW) charger. They are currently planning V4 (350 kW) chargers, which would scale to 105 miles of added range in 5 minutes of charge time.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That's from completely empty to completely full, which hopefully never happens.

According to this you can get 75 miles of range in 5 minutes.
I never partially fill my tank. If Iā€™m going to fill, Iā€™m going to top it off. I donā€™t want to have to stop again tomorrow.

Not that charging 75 miles at a time is the end of the world, but it would definitely require a change in behavior.

But again, I donā€™t see the gas stations adding a lane that is likely going to get clogged with cars charging for 30 minutes. They want those vehicles in-and-out quickly. Thatā€™s how they make their money.
Sponsored