Sponsored

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
I'm sure people said the same kind of stuff about putting gas stations all over the country, too, so I have to be open-minded. Still, it's gonna take time.

Anyway, the 2-door concept looks awesome!
Totally agree, it would be nice if they could at least all get on the same page & standardize the charging plugs (WITHOUT the .gov mandating something stupid)
Sponsored

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
I am so torn. Looking into this, it seems to still have the solid axles, 2wd-4wd-4low transfer case as well as being 2 door. If this thing actually has good range and they take care of the QC issues which plague the current JL..... I may have to go to the Ev side of the motoring world and give it a whirl.

runningshoes

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
That must be Tesla's total production, including overseas sales.

Automotive News shows that Tesla sold 260,000 in 2020, good for 1.8% market share in the US.

Tesla US sales:
2017 - 0.3%2018 - 1.1%2019 - 1.3%2020 - 1.8%
Interesting, I pulled the 2% from the article below (US sales and market share % mid-page). It's close enough that it doesn't make a difference, but the growth rates are definitely indicative of a coming shift in buying preferences. One of the Asian manufacturers will come up with an affordable, well-designed CUV that matches local demand.

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/tesla-inc-us-sales-figures/

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I'm sure people said the same kind of stuff about putting gas stations all over the country, too, so I have to be open-minded. Still, it's gonna take time.
This is too true...

When you think about it, there's already electricity practically everywhere and the real issue is being able to plug into it. The nearest gas station is a couple of blocks away, but the nearest electricity is a couple of feet.

What I don't understand is why the major gas stations haven't started including EV chargers.

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
If this thing becomes reality and its a 2 door!!!! Sign me up.

I will most definitely be buying one of these. If its a 4 door only, count me out.

I drove my first electric vehicle (friends Tesla) a few years back and I've been hooked ever since. I was skeptical of EV, until I felt the power. It reminded me of back in the day when I used to ride dirt bikes.

Sponsored

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is too true...

When you think about it, there's already electricity practically everywhere and the real issue is being able to plug into it. The nearest gas station is a couple of blocks away, but the nearest electricity is a couple of feet.

What I don't understand is why the major gas stations haven't started including EV chargers.
I think it has to do with the fact that they do not want to embrace the deal of fossil fuels. The profits of fuel vastly out weighs what they can make on electricity. Not to mention that when an electric car plugs in, it is usually their for 30+ min which adds to the congestion of an already busy fuel station.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Okay so did you not even notice the 4 door version in the first post? Its not an exclusive option for 2 door Jeeps, Just a concept to see how they could work. Is anyone expecting an EV Wrangler to beat Tesla at its own game? Probably not. But giving a "Green" option to one of the company's biggest sellers and moneymakers is going to bring more attention to the Jeep Brand as a whole. More attention to your products generally brings in more sales, even if its just the Vanilla gas Jeeps.

1612959957458.png
I am not arguing that consumers don't deserve more choices, including more "green" choices. I am simply arguing that FCA so far has done a pathetic job offering --and marketing-- green options.

You are correct, that silhouette looks like a 4-door. Let's hope so. But if they show an EV in 2-door only, it would only be more of the same.

If FCA ever gets serious about offering green vehicles that are viable on the market, it will only be because the new owners feel it is important that they do so.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am also noticing something interesting. It looks like they are using the transmission out of the Hybrid Wrangler. Does this mean it will actually have an 8 speed transmission? I have never seen an electric motor look like that before.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I am not arguing that consumers don't deserve more choices, including more "green" choices. I am simply arguing that FCA so far has done a pathetic job offering --and marketing-- green options.

You are correct, that silhouette looks like a 4-door. Let's hope so. But if they show an EV in 2-door only, it would only be more of the same.

If FCA ever gets serious about offering green vehicles that are viable on the market, it will only be because the new owners feel it is important that they do so.
Well fortunately it's no longer FCA but Stellantis, so their tactics are more likely changing. Concept cars rarely get produced as is but bits and pieces come in future products. I just don't see any reason to get worked up over whether or not the concept is 2 door, 4 door or no doors but if the powertrain has any merit.

Sponsored

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So if they do this right....it could be faster than the 392 with probably about the same range I imagine. Lets hope Jeep doesn't skimp on the power/torque!
Well considering the 392 will probably average 12mpg on a good day that gives it a 240 mile range. Making an electric Jeep go that far isn't a stretch, but doubt if crawling on a trail will give you that much range.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Well considering the 392 will probably average 12mpg on a good day that gives it a 240 mile range. Making an electric Jeep go that far isn't a stretch, but doubt if crawling on a trail will give you that much range.
The difficulty is how to provide juice to the EV on the trail .. easy to carry extra gas cans.. but.. how do you carry extra electrons to power the electric motors?

cmb

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2020 Toyota Tacoma
Restaurant chains should start putting them in. Would probably get people coming in to eat while charging there vehicles since it will take some time to charge it up.

cmb

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2020 Toyota Tacoma
The difficulty is how to provide juice to the EV on the trail .. easy to carry extra gas cans.. but.. how do you carry extra electrons to power the electric motors?
Just like on the movie the Martian, pull out your bank of solar panels and take a 8 hour nap.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I should have been more clear: If I was a gas station, I would be planning on adapting my business model to accommodate electric vehicles, rather than let a competitor come in and take what could have been my business.

It's like how Uber & Lyft wouldn't have been as successful if the taxi industry was smarter and made an app that allowed the same functionality. Even if they make one now, it's too little & too late. Their own apathy is going to make them obsolete.
Sponsored