Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
EV sales were about 2%; 2-door vehicles accounted for 1.1% of sales in 2020.

The intersection of the two represents less than 0.02% of sales. That is my point.
Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Mopar will make a Jerry can shapped and size charge pack, just in case you run out of charge lol
I love this. Seriously. People do the Larger fuel tank thing, Jerry cans, rotopax, etc. This idea is brilliant AND funny.

I like to call these "Coal Powered Vehicles".
Still mostly true, but Wind/ Solar/ Hydro are starting to catch up. US needs to get it's act together with this kind of stuff.

I call BS on it ever being a 2 door. 100% Jeep will make a fully electric Wrangler but it will be a 4 door. Remember folks, they teased us with an AMAZING 2 door Gladiator which never came int reality. Don't get your hopes up my 2 Door brethren.
It's coming. Maybe not first, but it will eventually happen. They keep promising a fully electric fleet by 2025 (IIRC).

Ohm my god Watts up with the Buzz just zapp it...
Whoever asked what to say instead of "give it gas", this is your answer.

This is a pretty cool idea. As long as it's reliable and can still run 40's and run big boy trails (Like the King of the Hammers ones, for example), and is available in a range of bright, race car colors- that's all I'd ever need from a fully electric Jeep, especially a Rubi. Hell, if they can nail it down by the time I'm ready for my next vehicle, I'd consider buying one.

runningshoes

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
EV sales were about 2%; 2-door vehicles accounted for 1.1% of sales in 2020.

The intersection of the two represents less than 0.02% of sales. That is my point.
Tesla last year sold almost 300k units in the US, which is 2% market share. The overall EV market wasn't likely much higher than that. I'd bet you see an extra point this year (so 50% growth) as Tesla added capacity and new models from other suppliers are coming out. 2022 has another wave of new models (and at lower price points hopefully) that will likely help drive EV's to 5% by end of that year.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Yup. Tesla had a 1% market share in 2020.

Notice that everything it now sells has 4 doors. It started with a 2-door sports car but sales were nothing. It wasn't until it launched a 4-door sedan that consumers took notice and Tesla became a household name.
That was actually part of Elon's "Master Plan". From this 2006 post:

"So, in short, the master plan is:
  1. Build sports car
  2. Use that money to build an affordable car
  3. Use that money to build an even more affordable car
  4. While doing above, also provide zero emission electric power generation options"

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That was actually part of Elon's "Master Plan". From this 2006 post:

"So, in short, the master plan is:
  1. Build sports car
  2. Use that money to build an affordable car
  3. Use that money to build an even more affordable car
  4. While doing above, also provide zero emission electric power generation options"
Yeah, there’s a lot more to it. But basically yes.

Can’t say he same about FCA’s electrification plans, though...

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Tesla last year sold almost 300k units in the US, which is 2% market share. The overall EV market wasn't likely much higher than that. I'd bet you see an extra point this year (so 50% growth) as Tesla added capacity and new models from other suppliers are coming out. 2022 has another wave of new models (and at lower price points hopefully) that will likely help drive EV's to 5% by end of that year.
That must be Tesla's total production, including overseas sales.

Automotive News shows that Tesla sold 260,000 in 2020, good for 1.8% market share in the US.

Tesla US sales:
2017 - 0.3%2018 - 1.1%2019 - 1.3%2020 - 1.8%

LFMS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Because demand for EVs is minuscule, as is demand for 2-door vehicles. If you intersect the two, you get very very very small demand.

I am not saying that EVs aren't the future. But until they become mainstream, automakers have to do everything in their power to sell these things. Offering EVs in 2-door configuration is just silly.
They‘re presenting a concept and it makes a more poignant message by using the most iconic Jeep form. If it were to become a reality, which I hope it does soon, it will most likely come out as a 4door first.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
They‘re presenting a concept and it makes a more poignant message by using the most iconic Jeep form. If it were to become a reality, which I hope it does soon, it will most likely come out as a 4door first.
We will have to see. But 4Xe was presented as a 4-door since day one.

Besides, FCA has a track record for launching 2-door EVs. The newest Fiat EV would have had a greater chance on the market had they used the 500X 4-door SUV instead of the 2-door 500 micro car.

My guess is, based on what we are seeing, that FCA has chosen the 2-door Wrangler for electrification likely to extract the most range it possibly can, without stopping to think that (2-doors) X (EV) = very little sales.

Chances are, a 2-door Wrangler EV will lose some of the precious little cargo space it has to the batteries. The Fiat 500e was essentially a 2-seater: the batteries lifted the floor in the rear, rendering those seats unusable.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
We will have to see. But 4Xe was presented as a 4-door since day one.

Besides, FCA has a track record for launching 2-door EVs. The newest Fiat EV would have had a greater chance on the market had they used the 500X 4-door SUV instead of the 2-door 500 micro car.

My guess is, based on what we are seeing, that FCA has chosen the 2-door Wrangler for electrification likely to extract the most range it possibly can, without stopping to think that (2-doors) X (EV) = very little sales.

Chances are, a 2-door Wrangler EV will lose some of the precious little cargo space it has to the batteries. The Fiat 500e was essentially a 2-seater: the batteries lifted the floor in the rear, rendering those seats unusable.
Okay so did you not even notice the 4 door version in the first post? Its not an exclusive option for 2 door Jeeps, Just a concept to see how they could work. Is anyone expecting an EV Wrangler to beat Tesla at its own game? Probably not. But giving a "Green" option to one of the company's biggest sellers and moneymakers is going to bring more attention to the Jeep Brand as a whole. More attention to your products generally brings in more sales, even if its just the Vanilla gas Jeeps.

Jeep Wrangler JL All Electric Jeep Wrangler BEV Concept to be Revealed at Easter Jeep Safari! 1612959957458

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So the Sierra Club and Greenpeace goons freak out if you take a whiz on the trail. BUT, they will just be all hunky dokey when we have to install large ugly solar charger deep in the trail so you can hum your way back home. I call shenanigans and BS.

Sponsored

Deleted member 53226

How is this Jeep going to leak oil with an electric motor? Hopefully, Jeep will use some type of hydraulic or battery cooling fluid that will leak. I would not know what to do if I owned a Jeep that did not leak something.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I like it. I wanted to electrify my old YJ. If it has any kind of range and a decent price, they will sell a ton of these.

rayzjeep

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
So if they do this right....it could be faster than the 392 with probably about the same range I imagine. Lets hope Jeep doesn't skimp on the power/torque!

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Where are they going to get the money to build the 1,000's of new charging stations needed if the EV trend continues? There isn't one within 1.5hr of where I live now -

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Yea, EVs will take off only when the charging infrastructure is well in place. Tesla is the only thing close to having a reliable charging network right now. The third-party stuff that everyone else has to use seems extremely unreliable and somewhat sparse in certain parts of the country. I can't remember the last time I pulled up to a gas pump and the thing just didn't work, though that seems to be the case with a lot of these 3rd-party charging stations.

I'm sure people said the same kind of stuff about putting gas stations all over the country, too, so I have to be open-minded. Still, it's gonna take time.

Anyway, the 2-door concept looks awesome!
Sponsored