All Black Wheels

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
I really dig the all black rims that are on the Moabs and Willys. They're the same "snowflake" rims that are on the Rubicon, just completely blacked out with powder coat, not just the inside pockets. The dealer I'm talking to said it will be possible to special order them on a Rubicon. They have a Gladiator Rubicon on their lot with them on and it looks pretty slick. I've never had a vehicle with completely coated rims so my question is, what does one do at balancing time? Do I just instruct the tech to not use wheel weights on the outside to keep from trashing the powder coat?

Thanks!

MC
Sponsored

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
I really dig the all black rims that are on the Moabs and Willys. They're the same "snowflake" rims that are on the Rubicon, just completely blacked out with powder coat, not just the inside pockets. The dealer I'm talking to said it will be possible to special order them on a Rubicon. They have a Gladiator Rubicon on their lot with them on and it looks pretty slick. I've never had a vehicle with completely coated rims so my question is, what does one do at balancing time? Do I just instruct the tech to not use wheel weights on the outside to keep from trashing the powder coat?

Thanks!

MC
Yes!

Chances are they will use the stick on weights anyway.

Just make sure you ask what type of weights they balance with, before they take them for balancing.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, black wheels look great. I’ve had them on my Jeeps for years

Having said that, I found this thread very revealing: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...yed-out-show-off-your-non-black-wheels.17181/

My original plan was to black out all badges and replace the OE 18” Sahara wheels with a set of 17” black wheels. But when I got to see the wheels up close I had a change of heart: they are stunning. The same is true of the badging and the rest of the bright work: it all looks premium and exquisite. It would be a shame to get rid of it. So I decided to embrace the brightwork: I am keeping the machined emblems and 18” Sahara wheels this time around.

Which is just as as well; forces me to try something new. In keeping with the machined wheels and emblems, I am going with a slight “retro” look: added the white letter tires, and am looking at getting an old-style hood decal. More to come!

cat=105&_nc_ohc=FD2NiBr1P4AAQmf40IanTQJAICDlThBbN_wvqAJk1KMPX7QtwhnnSVpKg&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

cat=104&_nc_ohc=ch2vArJRazYAQkevsTiE6vasQrY0EFR1NXjfHdGrigGO3gBhnSQo1pvPg&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

My advise: wait until you get the Jeep. You may be surprised and find that you like the wheels enough to make the Jeep work with them.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Formattc

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
My original plan was to black out all badges and replace the OE 18” Sahara wheels with a set of 17” black wheels.
This was actually my plan. I'm going for a "low vis" look, all body color Sarge Green JLUR with all black trim, down to the badges, wheels and grill trim.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
This was actually my plan. I'm going for a "low vis" look, all body color Sarge Green JLUR with all black trim, down to the badges, wheels and grill trim.
Green and black should look great.

This is my 2013 Rubicon in Commando green with black wheels and badges
cat=109&_nc_ohc=E_W0fb-v5X0AQmhETeGqNaEGZSALMhoi6MVwMidCEeqqaAA6_sI2EiHnQ&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
BTW, Quadratec has a great selection of black wheels that fit perfectly, are well crafted, relatively lightweight, affordable and look great,

Quadratec wheels allow you to mount 35" tires without clearance issues, and let you re-use your OE Jeep center caps

Quadratec-Rubicon-Xtreme-Wheel-17x9-Satin-Black-92615.3322.jpg

Quadratec-Moab-Wheel-17x8.5-5x5-5.2-in-Backspace-Satin-Black-Finish.jpg

Quadratec-41-Wheel-Satin-Black-Main_0.jpg

Quadratec-Recon-Wheel-17x8.5-5x5-Satin-Black-Gift-Cert.jpg

Quadratec_Hardrock_Wheel_Black_1.jpg

Quadratec-CJ-Retro-Alloy-Wheels-Wrangler-JK-JL-Black.jpg

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
There are tons of all black aftermarket wheels that are either the same price or cheaper than the Jeep wheels that actually better than the jeep wheels. I would suggest you do some shopping before you land on the jeep wheels.

OP
OP
Formattc

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
The thing is, I wasn't planning on a lift or bigger tires for a while. I was planning on going with wider wheels when I do, so I guess he question is, will the factory 33s mount on the wider wheels if I go ahead and buy them now?

Sponsored

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
If jeep charges you extra for the wheels, you may just wait to buy until you’re ready for bigger wheels and tires.

The thing is, I wasn't planning on a lift or bigger tires for a while. I was planning on going with wider wheels when I do, so I guess he question is, will the factory 33s mount on the wider wheels if I go ahead and buy them now?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Agree. I'd wait until you are ready to swap tires to get new wheels.

I have never been impressed with dealers' aftermarket wheel selection; and their Mopar wheels, while nice, tend to be pricey,

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Agree. I'd wait until you are ready to swap tires to get new wheels.

I have never been impressed with dealers' aftermarket wheel selection; and their Mopar wheels, while nice, tend to be pricey,
I wouldn't let my husband get new tires until he wore out the all-season ones his JKU came with. Two and a half years and 50k mikes later, he got DuraTracs last weekend. I did let him replace the rims last year with the quadratec hardrock ones you have pictures. Yeah, I know I'm mean, but I just couldn't see replacing brand new tires.:giggle: I have to admit, it does change the whole look of the Jeep:like:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't let my husband get new tires until he wore out the all-season ones his JKU came with. Two and a half years and 50k mikes later, he got DuraTracs last weekend. I did let him replace the rims last year with the quadratec hardrock ones you have pictures. Yeah, I know I'm mean, but I just couldn't see replacing brand new tires.:giggle: I have to admit, it does change the whole look of the Jeep:like:
I got a set of 33-inch KO2s as soon as I got home LOL.

I gave Discount Tire my OE tires in trade. I got $250 for all five. Not a lot, but paid for one of the new tires. :like:
cat=100&_nc_ohc=tTzc6F4j8kkAQkPzVKg4O9fGqCUuWYmv_wUxU2j3fpaf_fafYSYdgN7Nw&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg
Sponsored