Sponsored

Alignment Way Off - Best Place to Take my 392?

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
Put on a pair of longer lower control arm to increase caster angle at least. Alignment shop can only adjust toe angle on wranglers. That wouldn’t help your case at all.
Sponsored

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
Put me in the "I wouldn't have believed it if it didn't happen to me" camp, I also had tire-related pull. I agree that it seems unlikely that it would happen after a month of ownership but maybe not impossible.

I had a Ram that went back to the shop 4 times for alignment and it was never right. I didn't put two and two together that the problem started happening after a tire rotation because most of my driving was low speed city, but after every long highway drive I was back yelling at them. 8000 miles and one more tire rotation later, the "bad" tire must have been back on the rear axle and the truck drove like a dream.

My $0.02, do a tire swap forward to back just to see if it changes the problem.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Put me in the "I wouldn't have believed it if it didn't happen to me" camp, I also had tire-related pull. I agree that it seems unlikely that it would happen after a month of ownership but maybe not impossible.

I had a Ram that went back to the shop 4 times for alignment and it was never right. I didn't put two and two together that the problem started happening after a tire rotation because most of my driving was low speed city, but after every long highway drive I was back yelling at them. 8000 miles and one more tire rotation later, the "bad" tire must have been back on the rear axle and the truck drove like a dream.

My $0.02, do a tire swap forward to back just to see if it changes the problem.
This is probably what I will do is it’s the easiest thing to test for initially.

AFdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler
Can you elaborate?
Somehow the 37" KO2s caused a pull to the right which I always had a left biased "Tug" on my steering wheel. Swapped to KM3's and it all went away. Radial/Tire pull.

It was more noticed at highway speeds.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Somehow the 37" KO2s caused a pull to the right which I always had a left biased "Tug" on my steering wheel. Swapped to KM3's and it all went away. Radial/Tire pull.

It was more noticed at highway speeds.
That is weird. I really like these tires so if that’s the case I’m gonna be bummed. Were they the new C load ones?

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
That is weird. I really like these tires so if that’s the case I’m gonna be bummed. Were they the new C load ones?
Bad tires do happen -- I'm sure the tire shop will replace the bad one if that's the case.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Bad tires do happen -- I'm sure the tire shop will replace the bad one if that's the case.
OK I’m going to take it back to the off-road shop who did my installation of my other parts because I’m going to have them installed an SB 50 adapter for my trailer and they’re gonna look at it then.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
This is probably what I will do is it’s the easiest thing to test for initially.
Before swapping do as suggested above. Lower tire pressure to like 30-32. Test drive and if doesn’t help, then swap tire front to rear.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Before swapping do as suggested above. Lower tire pressure to like 30-32. Test drive and if doesn’t help, then swap tire front to rear.
OK I will lower the tire pressure before work tomorrow. I was actually supposed to do that after the dealer visit but I just got caught up with life.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
@alksion

Best place to take a solid axle rig for an alignment…the driveway with a tape measure.
Place a piece of 2x4, skinny-side down, against the outside of each tire, the longer, the more accurate. Measure width to the same point on each, to the front of, and behind the tire. Easiest way to check your toe.

When I first got my jeep, she wandered all over the road. Airing down from the dealership's ridiculous 43psi fixed half of that.

For the first month or so, I kept a large Channellock in the back, and would adjust the drag link slightly every time I went out.
Turned out that the road that I was testing on had a very pronounced crown that was making me pull naturally to the right, so I was always steering left.

In then end, she was also toed out a little bit, and that was what fixed everything.

Sponsored

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Situations like this are very frustrating. On my new Ram I put Method NV's and 35" ridge graps. I have been fighting a vibration ever since. I have swapped back to OEM tires and wheels more than once just to make sure this vibe definitely does not exist.

2 sets of tires, about 7x balancing, and they finally seem to have the vibration gone. Hope you have success in getting rid of the pull!

I noticed my 392 pulls to the right ever so slightly with the ridge graps, and also seems to have a vibration that I notice after it has been sitting for a few weeks. Haven't even began chasing that down but I suspect the tires as the suspension is stock. Frustrating!

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Situations like this are very frustrating. On my new Ram I put Method NV's and 35" ridge graps. I have been fighting a vibration ever since. I have swapped back to OEM tires and wheels more than once just to make sure this vibe definitely does not exist.

2 sets of tires, about 7x balancing, and they finally seem to have the vibration gone. Hope you have success in getting rid of the pull!

I noticed my 392 pulls to the right ever so slightly with the ridge graps, and also seems to have a vibration that I notice after it has been sitting for a few weeks. Haven't even began chasing that down but I suspect the tires as the suspension is stock. Frustrating!
Yeah I hear ya, it is a bit frustrating, but more so on the road trips than a quick drive to the office.

I think that’s why I have noticed it over the last few weeks. I helped my parents move from Palm Springs closer to Orange County and then drove to Arizona and on both trips it’s been more noticeable.

Once I take it into the Offroad shop I went to initially and see what they say I’ll update this thread.

REDSEAL199

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Highaltitude 4xe
Wow a lot to work off of here. Greatly appreciated.

1. No to factory tires. BFG K02 37 C Load. Although I didn't have issues after getting them installed and driving with them over a month.

2. See number one. I will still try a tire rotation though but I don't think it's that.

3. Sounds like a reason to skip a standard alignment shop.

4. I would like to see if I can get it fixed without adding anything yet. Most of the alignment issues came after installing the parts listed early in the thread.

5a/b. See number 4. I am open to adding things but not quite yet.

6. Could be but the drive home from Arizone when I picked it up, no issues. I put the tires on a few days later and drove it around a few weeks, also no issues. So I don't feel this is it.

7. This is a good idea regardless. I will look into this. Thanks.

8. Could be but see number 6.

9. All tires are 46PSI. I need to lower them again back to 36. That was the dealers doing a few days ago.
What is the likely hood of the shop who did the install on lights etc went and played in it and hit something to knock it out of allignment? Just another thought....

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
What is the likely hood of the shop who did the install on lights etc went and played in it and hit something to knock it out of allignment? Just another thought....
I mean you can never rule out anything but from my research and reviews online they seem to be a reputable shop.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
I aired down this is how bad the steering wheel is when I’m parked.

6C99E351-BDA4-469F-9F1A-5B1AF7980C4E.jpeg

05E94107-5787-4611-B45C-49C635CB9317.jpeg

FFA02332-99E0-49CE-B31C-627CE16BEA25.jpeg
Sponsored