Sponsored

Alignment shop tech disconnected my dash-cam - what should I do?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
While all of this debatable, in today's technology environment, I would not assume that a vehicle owner has an obligation to notify a maintenance provider of video recording, GPS tracking, or vehicle event data recording.

These technologies are very common and if "the reasonable man" criteria is applied, I think most people would agree that GPS tracking and event data recording is expected in a modern vehicle. And, again, luxury/performance vehicles are more and more commonly equipped from the factory with video cameras.
Sponsored

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
How the fuck is this thread still going.

Now the internet lawyers are here, and in another couple pages we’ll be hypothetically litigating this case in the Hague with a decision that alters the course of humanity, and either the OP or the tech receiving a settlement larger than the gdp of half the countries in the world; and the other going to prison for life for crimes against humanity. The amount of “uh, akshuallyyyy” we’re going to see soon is going to be epic.

i love the internet.

Last edited:

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
I want an army of civil litigators suing everyone into oblivion; and I want Interpol and the Hague handling the international crimes against humanity trial.

C’mon guys. This is a SERIOUS situation. Dream big.

Sponsored

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2
Wow, my Jeep is at the dealer now, and I have dash-cams. I never thought to tell anyone I had them.

I don't have it to spy on anyone, just protection and proof in case of an accident. I think the OP handled the situation correctly.

If the tech just plugged the camera back in everything would have been cool, especially if the job was done to the customers satisfaction.

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
His company probably doesn't want people taking on the phone while they're driving. He probably also didn't want to be spied on. He should have plugged it back in after the drive but maybe he just forgot. Plug it in and move on.

Why would a technician need to drive a car prior to performing an alignment if it doesn't have anything to do with a warranty claim or correcting something the shop messed up? The simple answer is, they don't have a reason to do so unless they simply want to drive your vehicle.

If I have taken a vehicle in for an alignment after a lift I expect it to go on the rack, get adjusted within factory or the specs I have provided, and returned to me. Anything else is a joy ride.

If the tech was turning off the cameras he didn't want to watched or tracked for a reason. Someone that was doing what they were supposed to be doing would have nothing to hide.
The alignment shop I use does test drives before and after. They're quick. Maybe 5 minutes or so. They have fixed issues that other shops couldn't because they are not just using the "Its within specs" method and throwing their hands in the air.

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
Wow, my Jeep is at the dealer now, and I have dash-cams. I never thought to tell anyone I had them.
Out of curiosity - does your dash cam run even when your Jeep is turned off?

Most people I know who have a dash cam - it turns off when the vehicle is off - and they just use it for when they are driving.

So, it wouldn't even be recording when in a garage for many people. Not sure why the guy driving my Jeep assumed it was going to record 24/7.

marek

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Jeep Wrangler Moab 03 Mercedes SL 500
1. Find out where his girlfriend lives
2. Rent the apartment next to hers
3. Create a fake identity. Something exciting like an aircraft pilot or white hat hacker.
4. Trick the girlfriend into falling in love with you.
5. Get her pregnant
6. Abandon her in the middle of the night leaving everything behind
7. Alignment dude will think the baby is his and will marry the girlfriend.
8. Alignment dude will spend the next 18 years raising your child.
9. Arrange for a letter to be sent to alignment dude explaining the cuckold when he is on his deathbed so he understands that his whole life has been a lie.
10. Checkmate bitch.

If someone has a better plan I’d like to hear it.
Sure as fuck wouldn’t want to disconnect your camera :)

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
... I think most people would agree that GPS tracking and event data recording is expected in a modern vehicle....
Absolutely, and any mechanic will know that EDR is going to be present on every vehicle newer than 10 years. I don't really think that's the issue though, it's more a matter of audio/video than data and location. But you're right most people expect cameras now. Maybe that's why the tech was looking and saw it.

How the fuck is this thread still going.
Well you're still posting on it aren't you? Every time you post, it bumps to the top just like anyone else posting on it.
I never understood the point in comments like this. It's like someone asking a question and then someone complains and mentions the search feature. If it bugs you, don't click on or leave the thread. It's easy to avoid stuff that bugs you on the internet. Just don't click/read it.

To answer the question though, I think the thread is still going because it's a conversation about something other than "what size tires will fit" or some other common topic (which BTW I have no problem with those). Stuff like this gives people a chance to talk about something different.

...... I think the OP handled the situation correctly.

If the tech just plugged the camera back in everything would have been cool, especially if the job was done to the customers satisfaction.
I agree, and that also seems to be the general consensus.

Out of curiosity - does your dash cam run even when your Jeep is turned off?

Most people I know who have a dash cam - it turns off when the vehicle is off - and they just use it for when they are driving...
A lot of cameras work that way, although there are plenty that also have an alarm type mode which will turn on if the Jeep is bumped. I assume to record a hit-run or vandal in a parking lot

Sponsored

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Absolutely, and any mechanic will know that EDR is going to be present on every vehicle newer than 10 years. I don't really think that's the issue though, it's more a matter of audio/video than data and location. But you're right most people expect cameras now. Maybe that's why the tech was looking and saw it.

Well you're still posting on it aren't you? Every time you post, it bumps to the top just like anyone else posting on it.
I never understood the point in comments like this. It's like someone asking a question and then someone complains and mentions the search feature. If it bugs you, don't click on or leave the thread. It's easy to avoid stuff that bugs you on the internet. Just don't click/read it.

To answer the question though, I think the thread is still going because it's a conversation about something other than "what size tires will fit" or some other common topic (which BTW I have no problem with those). Stuff like this gives people a chance to talk about something different.

I agree, and that also seems to be the general consensus.

A lot of cameras work that way, although there are plenty that also have an alarm type mode which will turn on if the Jeep is bumped. I assume to record a hit-run or vandal in a parking lot
i plead guilty to being utterly fascinated by what Im seeing.

Mr Lee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Just for discussion, what if the plumber wore a body camera and filmed your wife, kids and inside your house while he was working? What if he asked first or did it without you knowing. At the time your house is his workplace just like the inside of a shop? I know this isn't quite the same but this is the world we are going to be living in very soon.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
i plead guilty to being utterly fascinated by what Im seeing.
Ha ha, That's certainly reason enough to keep coming back.

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
I have to say I love this thread.

I really highlights just how different all of us are in terms of how we react to, view, and handle things. Things that are without question in my mind are completely opposite for some of you, and that's ok.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Just for discussion, what if the plumber wore a body camera and filmed your wife, kids and inside your house while he was working? What if he asked first or did it without you knowing. At the time your house is his workplace just like the inside of a shop? I know this isn't quite the same but this is the world we are going to be living in very soon.
Hmm, that's a good question. It makes sense that if they have the right to record you, then you should have to right to record them too. While not the same thing, it doesn't seem like too big of a leap. The plumber being the Jeep and his body camera being the Jeep's dash camera. Though I'm sure a private house vs a commercial shop probably has some impact. Interesting question though.
Sponsored