Sponsored

Alignment shop tech disconnected my dash-cam - what should I do?

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I have to say I love this thread.

I really highlights just how different all of us are in terms of how we react to, view, and handle things. Things that are without question in my mind are completely opposite for some of you, and that's ok.
Absolutely. I wish more people would form their own opinions, rather than simply "believing" in whatever media or the group tells them they should. It's a good thing even if especially if we don't all agree.

"I don't agree with you" doesn't have to mean "I don't like you." I actually like that we can discuss it without everyone getting offended and taking it personal.
Sponsored

clemson

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP JL SAHARA UNLIMITED
So are you mad that they test drove a vehicle before an alignment to see if it pulled, or just mad because someone didn't like being spied on? You fixed the camera move on.

Exactly move on. Did you have his permission to record him? Donā€™t think so

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2
Out of curiosity - does your dash cam run even when your Jeep is turned off?

Most people I know who have a dash cam - it turns off when the vehicle is off - and they just use it for when they are driving.

So, it wouldn't even be recording when in a garage for many people. Not sure why the guy driving my Jeep assumed it was going to record 24/7.
No, it stays on until the internal battery drains. Once the Jeep is started, it charges the battery while also restarting the Dash cam.

I had it setup on my previous & other car to turn off after 6 hrs. This is the lowest setting you can choose with Blackvue, using a power magic pro.

I didn't want to put any holes through the firewall of my new Jeep so I chose to get a battery pack, and wire it to ACC connection under the glovebox.

I'm not sure, but I think it will record for about 10 hrs. before it depletes the battery, but it doesn't take it long to charge back up, one the car is started and driven.

The Dash cam isn't just for driving, but also when the car is parked somewhere. Judging by some of the comments in this thread I know some people have an issue with that. I think I will now get one of those stickers that lets people know I have a dash cam, to cover myself.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
If I was the owner of the business...... itI would wan to know.... I probably would NOT fire him......but....I would CERTAINLY use it as a training example.....if he or anyone else is INTENTIONALLY tampering with a customerā€™s vehicle....they would be fired.
customer satisfaction and customer loyalty keeps you in business and your reputation is everything. You can have the best techs and maintenance dept.....but if your reputation is folly......your doomed.

DEFINATELY Share everything with the business owner.
tampering With the CAM has nothing to do with his driving the vehicle.
this kind of tampering .....minor today.....will grow excessively as time goes.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Different point of view on dashcams:

I try to be a law-abiding driver, but I've avoided installing a dashcam for fear that I may document myself doing something stupid. No sense handing them the club with which to beat you about the head and shoulders. For the record, I very rarely do anything silly...but I am human.

And...yeah, I know, folks on here pay perfect attention while driving (see any of the Safety Group package threads), and don't ever do anything dumb.

In some dystopian future I picture everyone having a micro-chip implanted at birth to "police" one's actions.

Sponsored

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not going to change mine.
if you were the owner of the business....and condoned that type of behavior.......rightfully.....you would be out of business.
whoā€™s to blame when all the employees are laid off because you donā€™t have the balls to keep some integrity among your business.
today businessā€™s....like alignment shops are very competitive.... There is no margin for loss of business. These are all small work orders that make enough to pay the bills and the employees wages...no one is getting rich.....and you think the customers should just blow it off....because to you ...ā€it was no big dealā€. You need to grow up and learn some responsibility. The owner has a responsibility to keep his employees earning wages and he can only do that if their work reputation is solid.
Your entitled to your opinion......but the alignment shop owner was a very good man and apologized for the employees behavior and kept his customer. He wins.

Mr Lee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Body cameras for police are a hot topic here right now. Both to hold them accountable for their actions and as evidence when they are properly conducting themselves.
The general opinion is that a dash camera is proof that you are not responsible for the accident. But what if you are? Are you going to give your sim card to the insurance adjuster.
I brought up a Plumber because I am sure they are blamed for theft or improper repairs resulting in a flood or larger home repair bills. So it would be easy for them to wear a body camera to prove that they conducted themselves properly.
So I still ask the question would you allow one to film you wife, kids, and inside your house.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Body cameras for police are a hot topic here right now. Both to hold them accountable for their actions and as evidence when they are properly conducting themselves.
The general opinion is that a dash camera is proof that you are not responsible for the accident. But what if you are? Are you going to give your sim card to the insurance adjuster.
I brought up a Plumber because I am sure they are blamed for theft or improper repairs resulting in a flood or larger home repair bills. So it would be easy for them to wear a body camera to prove that they conducted themselves properly.
So I still ask the question would you allow one to film you wife, kids, and inside your house.
I fail to see what any of this ridiculousness has to do with an employee disconnecting an electronic device that he has NO business tampering with to begin with. The owner rightfully apologized for the employeeā€˜s actions and said it was wrong.....what does any of that have to do with your plumber, your kids or your wife?
you have lost touch with reality.

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
all of you going off one the guy for having a dashcam in todays world you need one mostly for your protection. here is a little story of my 3 day old Hellcat. when i picked it up it had a small dent near the drivers side door mirror about the size of a nickle. the dealer told me to bring it in in 2 days to get it fixed it will only take about 4-6 hours. i was like ok so come Thursday i had my Hellcat there at at 7am and left for work. about noon i got a call from teh dealership my car was totaled it seems one of the techs took it to lunch and blew thru a red light hitting a car at about 60mph. after that all of my cars now have 2 way dashcams with Taxi cam to see who is driving.

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
One of my other vehicles that I dont' have anymore, took it in for a maintenance oil change and other service, dashcam recorded tech driving and bumping into other techs with my bumper for fun and everyone giggling and laughing. Major Ford Dealership. Dash cams keep people honest if they know it is there and explains damage you have to pay for if they are not. There was no damage so I didn't have to do anything. Different story if there was any. never went back to that dealer again though, trust is worth a lot more.

Sponsored

Deviant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
"I don't agree with you" doesn't have to mean "I don't like you." I actually like that we can discuss it without everyone getting offended and taking it personal.
Depends on the disagreement.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
......I try to be a law-abiding driver, but I've avoided installing a dashcam for fear that I may document myself doing something stupid. No sense handing them the club with which to beat you about the head and shoulders......
That is certainly a risk taken by having a camera. It can prove you wrong just as easily as it can prove you innocent

.... The general opinion is that a dash camera is proof that you are not responsible for the accident. But what if you are? Are you going to give your sim card to the insurance adjuster.
Probably not, but they'll probably get the video from the police/court if it was taken as evidence.

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
all of you going off one the guy for having a dashcam in todays world you need one mostly for your protection. here is a little story of my 3 day old Hellcat. when i picked it up it had a small dent near the drivers side door mirror about the size of a nickle. the dealer told me to bring it in in 2 days to get it fixed it will only take about 4-6 hours. i was like ok so come Thursday i had my Hellcat there at at 7am and left for work. about noon i got a call from teh dealership my car was totaled it seems one of the techs took it to lunch and blew thru a red light hitting a car at about 60mph. after that all of my cars now have 2 way dashcams with Taxi cam to see who is driving.
That is a horrible story and one I'm sorry to hear man. Mind blowing what people will do with your property when they think no one is looking, isn't it?

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Different point of view on dashcams:

I try to be a law-abiding driver, but I've avoided installing a dashcam for fear that I may document myself doing something stupid. No sense handing them the club with which to beat you about the head and shoulders. For the record, I very rarely do anything silly...but I am human.

And...yeah, I know, folks on here pay perfect attention while driving (see any of the Safety Group package threads), and don't ever do anything dumb.

In some dystopian future I picture everyone having a micro-chip implanted at birth to "police" one's actions.
That's a good point Rick, and an excellent jab on the safety features discussion. :D

I have to agree, I also do dumb things at times, make mistakes, and hell I'm even reckless having some fun from time to time. However, if something is my fault I don't try to weasel out of it. I own up to it, so if my dash cam recorded me doing something stupid that is going to cost me, so be it. I would have owned up to it anyway.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
When you're wrong, you're wrong. My statement to the police and/or insurance will say the same thing my video will show. Wrong or right, I did what I did and if I get called on it, I'll own it. If you're going to dance, you gotta pay the piper.
Sponsored