Sponsored

Alignment shop tech disconnected my dash-cam - what should I do?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
When you're wrong, you're wrong. My statement to the police and/or insurance will say the same thing my video will show. Wrong or right, I did what I did and if I get called on it, I'll own it. If you're going to dance, you gotta pay the piper.
Noble words, but attorneys tell you to keep quiet for a reason, and it's not to cheat the system; it's to preserve your rights in case the shit hits the fan. Even your own insurance company tells you not to admit guilt at the scene.
Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Well you could always plea the 5th and not give a statement at all. Certainly not the worst option, and depending on the situation maybe the best one.
That said, given the typical minor incident, I'll give the statement. Of course I don't drive "spiritedly" so If something happens it'll likely be negligence, not recklessness. Besides probably 99% of crashes can be figured out without a statement anyway, so it's not like I'd be telling them something they couldn't figure out on their own.
When giving a statement you'd want to be a bit tactful of you're wording. You can do that while still telling the truth and owning your mistake.
For example "while negotiating the curve, the vehicle lost lateral stability" sure sounds a lot better than "I was drifting around the curve."
You have effectively said the same thing but the former is just the facts while the latter is an admission of guilt by describing reckless behavior. You can be honest without giving up the farm. Or, as I mentioned at the top, you could just plea the 5th.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well you could always plea the 5th and not give a statement at all. Certainly not the worst option, and depending on the situation maybe the best one.
That said, given the typical minor incident, I'll give the statement. Of course I don't drive "spiritedly" so If something happens it'll likely be negligence, not recklessness. Besides probably 99% of crashes can be figured out without a statement anyway, so it's not like I'd be telling them something they couldn't figure out on their own.
When giving a statement you'd want to be a bit tactful of you're wording. You can do that while still telling the truth and owning your mistake.
For example "while negotiating the curve, the vehicle lost lateral stability" sure sounds a lot better than "I was drifting around the curve."
You have effectively said the same thing but the former is just the facts while the latter is an admission of guilt by describing reckless behavior. You can be honest without giving up the farm. Or, as I mentioned at the top, you could just plea the 5th.
And...I just reread my thread and the "noble words" jumped out at me. In retrospect, the first part came off as sarcastic, but what I meant was: that's a great sentiment, but be careful that you don't get yourself (unnecessarily) in hot water.

DWaX

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
1. Find out where his girlfriend lives
2. Rent the apartment next to hers
3. Create a fake identity. Something exciting like an aircraft pilot or white hat hacker.
4. Trick the girlfriend into falling in love with you.
5. Get her pregnant
6. Abandon her in the middle of the night leaving everything behind
7. Alignment dude will think the baby is his and will marry the girlfriend.
8. Alignment dude will spend the next 18 years raising your child.
9. Arrange for a letter to be sent to alignment dude explaining the cuckold when he is on his deathbed so he understands that his whole life has been a lie.
10. Checkmate bitch.

If someone has a better plan I’d like to hear it.

I'd like to contact the business owner and recommend the tech for employee of the year!
Why? because his ignorant and irrelevant action gave me this ^^

WaX

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
How's the alignment? That would be my concern. If to your liking, bring em a 12 pack.

Taking it to the Karen level will not produce any meaningful results for you.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
And...I just reread my thread and the "noble words" jumped out at me. In retrospect, the first part came off as sarcastic, but what I meant was: that's a great sentiment, but be careful that you don't get yourself (unnecessarily) in hot water.
Thanks for clarifying, but no need. I didn't take it as sarcastic at all. Although after you pointed it out, I can see how it could be taken that way.
I took the response as "that's commendable, but be careful." Which I think is good advice.

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
On my way to get an oil change...

Wish me luck - maybe I'll disclose I have a dash cam... Maybe I won't...

Things could get crazy :CWL:

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Ha ha. I bet you'll remember to check that it's plugged in when you leave though. I know I will from now on.

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
Ha ha. I bet you'll remember to check that it's plugged in when you leave though. I know I will from now on.
Dash cam all good LOL

However last night when driving I realized the tech had turned off my headlights - I always leave them on Auto - but they were off when it got dark last night.

I need a checklist...

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dash cam all good LOL

However last night when driving I realized the tech had turned off my headlights - I always leave them on Auto - but they were off when it got dark last night.

I need a checklist...
How are your mirrors?

Sponsored

PEI-Gladys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
UPDATE - CONCLUSION

I just wanted to close off my part in this. As mentioned earlier I called the shop this morning and I explained that I found the dash cam unplugged last night. Was told it's not procedure.

I left it at that.

I just received a call from the owner of the shop (They've been in business over 60 years it's a family owned/run place). He says that he asked the tech about this, and the tech said yes, that he disconnects every dash cam in every vehicle that he test drives before working on.

The owner said that he reprimanded the employee as they are not to touch anyone's electronics or personal belongings in any vehicle - there's no reason for it.

The owner apologized and says he knows it's not a good reason for it being unplugged, but that's all he got from the employee.

He then did ask about the rest of my experience and how the Jeep is driving. Really nice guy, and I'm satisfied.

*However, this goes onto something else now - how many other customers are driving with their dash cam unplugged now?
I had my JTR in for an issue with the ESS (Electronic Start Stop) and an alignment. When I picked mine up, the power and rearview camera were disconnected from the dash cam. SInce the work order indicated they were testing and charging the battery I assumed they disconnected the cam on purpose. They would have no idea how the power was connected to the Cam and if by chance I didn't have a fuse in the line (It would not suprised me if some didn't, I did) they could fry the circuits in the cam. So for me I saw it as a good thing and protection for them. Also, I have noticed if I leave the radio on when dropping off the Jeep, it is always turned off when I pick it up. Cheers!

Deviant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Dash cam all good LOL

I need a checklist...
This happens all the time, often they set the cars to ACC or ignition/start and override the auto off so leaving the Headlights on could/would drain your battery.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Well, it's been quite an exhausting week, fellas. I had to cash in a few markers, and even hand out a couple, but I was finally able to find out about the techs girlfriend.
Jeep Wrangler JL Alignment shop tech disconnected my dash-cam - what should I do? FB_IMG_1611071195832

I'm already on the road. Project Stormin is a go! :like:
Sponsored