Alignment question for the educated

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
Taking mine in for an oil change and alignment. I've seen some here state that these things need as much caster as they can dial in to help them track correctly on road. Are they even able to adjust caster and where should I tell them to set it?
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Taking mine in for an oil change and alignment. I've seen some here state that these things need as much caster as they can dial in to help them track correctly on road. Are they even able to adjust caster and where should I tell them to set it?
Are you stock? Then no, they can't, but if stock, they shouldn't have to?

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Caster is adjustable with some adjustable control arms or longer control arms. More importantly is what your current setup is.
What's the rest of the equation? Any mods?

OP
OP
Ruby Clatterbox

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
Stock height (diesel). I had the steering box done as it had the old aluminum box originally, but it still has a little wander to it. I didn't think the caster was adjustable with stock control arms. Just wish it tracked as well as my JK did.

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

You can purchase longer LCA's (they are included in the Mopar Lift) for about $80 to get the caster in range. I did this when I added rubicon springs to my Willys. Doing this made a big difference in tracking.

Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Stock height (diesel). I had the steering box done as it had the old aluminum box originally, but it still has a little wander to it. I didn't think the caster was adjustable with stock control arms. Just wish it tracked as well as my JK did.
It's important to know what the caster angle is before making adjustments. I'd do the free alignment check to see if you need to make the switch to new control arms. Like @dr.rgb said control arms helped him but if you have sufficient enough caster already you might need to look elsewhere for improvement.

If you get the alignment checked get the computer print out and post it here so we can review.

Have you torqued down the ball joints yet?

Have you checked air pressures?

OP
OP
Ruby Clatterbox

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
Haven't touched the ball joints. Really didn't think they would be the culprit as the jeep is only a year old, but I'll check. What's the torque on the ball joints supposed set at? I'm not due to take it in till late next week, but I'll have them check the alignment and post it here. I've found it to drive the best with the air pressure set around 33. (33" Falken MT's, just changed to 33" BFG AT's)

Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Thanks DOOKEY!
NP. I just got a new to me 2019 Rubicon with 7200 miles. The lower ball joints were barely tight. Less than 24 hours and I was already turning wrenches. 😄

Needs to be done before the alignment.

Jeep Wrangler JL Alignment question for the educated FB_IMG_1636113090762

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
You have a Rubi diesel, I wouldn’t waste money on alignment. Unless you can get it checked for free. Just get the longer lcas on it. The Rubi sits higher than the other trims and uses same length lcas so it’s already low on caster, a diesel is a little higher yet, so lcas are your wandering problem.

You would think after 3 years of existence that Jeep would put longer control arms on the Rubis by now, but yet here we are.

OP
OP
Ruby Clatterbox

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
You have a Rubi diesel, I wouldn’t waste money on alignment. Unless you can get it checked for free. Just get the longer lcas on it. The Rubi sits higher than the other trims and uses same length lcas so it’s already low on caster, a diesel is a little higher yet, so lcas are your wandering problem.

You would think after 3 years of existence that Jeep would put longer control arms on the Rubis by now, but yet here we are.
Yup, just got the longer Mopar arms on and what a difference! Thanks all for the tips and suggestions.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

... or ideally, they'd just have Dana set the knuckle yokes to ~6 degrees instead of 4.8, so that the pinion angle isn't compromised by rotating the entire housing the wrong way, especially for a lifted jeep.

BTW, I had my JLUR checked the second day I owned it. The caster was right on spec, 4.8, which is common for both solid axle and IFS vehicles (trucks and cars).
Sponsored