Sponsored

Alignment off after accident

FishyGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
All,
After a recent front end collision with damage focused on right front end, my JLU was drivable, but the steering wheel was no longer centered. To go straight, I had to turn the wheel to an 11 o’clock position. Holding at 12 o’clock would pull the vehicle right.

After explaining this to the collision shop, they suggested possible frame damage. Upon inspection they performed an alignment. They said they found no frame damage and said the alignment was in spec. The only remediation action performed was recentering the wheel, per their notes.

Is this normal or should I ask for an additional review of frame or suspension damage?

Worth mentioning also, on the alignment spec sheet it says 2018 JK, not JL. While the right front and left front numbers were generally comparable, he said it’s the same spec from JKU to JLU. Is that accurate or should I push for another alignment with correct specs?

Thank you
Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
If the wheel was off center, something is bent. Sure you can straighten the wheel, but whatever is bent, is still bent.

OP
OP

FishyGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
If the wheel was off center, something is bent. Sure you can straighten the wheel, but whatever is bent, is still bent.
Any suggestions on what could be bent given the OK on the alignment check, or how it would normally be investigated to figure out which component set has been bent (suspension, axle, frame, steering, etc)? ... in other words, what should I ask them to do, given the end result of my first conversation was their alignment check which came out clean?

Thank you

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
If the frame checks out as ok, then the most likely culprit would be a bent knuckle where the steering tie rod attaches. Almost impossible to see even when comparing to a new one, unless it’s bent really bad. I’ve had this happen to off road toys, and if I can’t tell where it’s bent, I just recenter the steering wheel.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
If the frame checks out as ok, then the most likely culprit would be a bent knuckle where the steering tie rod attaches. Almost impossible to see even when comparing to a new one, unless it’s bent really bad. I’ve had this happen to off road toys, and if I can’t tell where it’s bent, I just recenter the steering wheel.
Yup either that or slight bend in drag link. Really hard to do though.

Sponsored

OP
OP

FishyGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Awesome info! I appreciate your replies. I’ll provide feedback after I pick it up from the collision shop in 10 days...

OP
OP

FishyGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Trackbar for the win.

The frame has two posts that stick out and the trackbar runs through it. The passenger side post was pushed towards the back and down, pulling the trackbar from its normal position. The collision shop is going to pull the frame which should fix the issue.

89E7DEFA-95B6-4A20-9E23-2579FC81ABFB.jpeg

3F3BA495-EAE4-4040-BFD8-E4964FB2AF26.jpeg

E43A0F44-D621-406B-B417-4C714621EE15.jpeg

View attachment 53825
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited: