Alignment issue

cbmjeep

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JLUR Mojito and 03' Rubicon
I have a 19' JLUR all stock with 35,000 miles and it had been pulling to the left a lot. The first dealer in Michigan said they rotated the tires as they had bad wear pattern and that fixed it. It did not and I did not go back and I have since moved to Ohio. This dealer did an alignment and showed me the specs on before and after. It is much better, but the wheel is a hair off. It still has some pull to the right. I am not sure what to do other than go back and have a tech ride with me. It really seems to do the pull at higher speeds, 65-75 mph. Thoughts??
Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Is it a pull or is the steering wheel off center? Mine trams a bit, which makes it a nightmare to center the wheel. Mine is straight for 80% of my commute, but off center on the interstate.
Your drag link can have its length adjusted to change the center of the steering wheel, but it does sound like you have a pull since you mentioned changes based on speed.
Just trying to clarify and potentially eliminate the easy issue.

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Chris...........what's your (L-R) camber and caster measurements?

Our highway systems have a lot of crown built in the road, so water does not accumulate. So, if your vehicle normally pulls to the left, when driving on the highway it will not pull as much; due to the crown of the road.

A tire with a shifted belt or uneven tire wear can pull........If you do not have directional tires, you can try swapping your front tires only. If you do have a tire pull, your jeep will now pull the other direction (L - R).

Last edited:

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
There's nothing they can adjust at the dealer other than toe when they do an alignment. You likely need to add some caster and possibly lower tire pressure. What's your current alignment specs and tire pressure at? Track can also be off which requires rear upper and lower control arms to adjust.

OP
OP
cbmjeep

cbmjeep

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I know that the wheel being off center does not effect the pull. I need to just turn the drag link a bit to fix that. So I attached the alignment data. I am wondering if the alignment issue cause uneven tire wear and they rotated the tires to say they fixed it and then after my oil change, tire rotation and alignment, the tires are just worn enough to cause a bit of pull.

IMG_4775.jpg

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
So I know that the wheel being off center does not effect the pull. I need to just turn the drag link a bit to fix that. So I attached the alignment data. I am wondering if the alignment issue cause uneven tire wear and they rotated the tires to say they fixed it and then after my oil change, tire rotation and alignment, the tires are just worn enough to cause a bit of pull.

Jeep Wrangler JL Alignment issue IMG_4775
As I expected your caster numbers are really low. You need longer or adjustable front lower control arms to be able to get that in the neighborhood of 6-6.5°. It will show out of speed but will handle much better.

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Vehicles pull towards the Positive camber side>.5 degree and drifts toward negative >.5 degree caster side.

With those alignment numbers......You would have a slight pull to the right.
NOTE: These numbers are nothing to get exited about.

If your jeep is pulling to the left with these numbers.....looking at a tire pull or your LF brake caliper or bearing is dragging.

If you wanted to fine tune it.........................Lenghtening the front lower control arms will increase caster. >>> I would dial the LF to 5.0 and the RF to 5.5. Camber is NOT normally adjustable unless you install adjustable ball joints. But, these ball joints are a bit weaker.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cbmjeep

cbmjeep

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As I expected your caster numbers are really low. You need longer or adjustable front lower control arms to be able to get that in the neighborhood of 6-6.5°. It will show out of speed but will handle much better.
Since this is stock, why would it come this way from the factory if you are saying it is wrong or not good? Is it just a Jeep thing? lol

OP
OP
cbmjeep

cbmjeep

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicles pull towards the Positive camber side>.5 degree and drifts toward negative >.5 degree caster side.

With those alignment numbers......You would have a slight pull to the right.
NOTE: These numbers are nothing to get exited about.

If your jeep is pulling to the left with these numbers.....looking at a tire pull or your LF brake caliper or bearing is dragging.

If you wanted to fine tune it.........................Lenghtening the front lower control arms will increase caster. >>> I would dial the LF to 5.0 and the RF to 5.5. Camber is NOT normally adjustable unless you install adjustable ball joints. But, these ball joints are a bit weaker.
Thanks for everyone's input! It has a slight left pull still after the alignment and tire rotation. As mentioned before, the dealer rotated the tires and said it was fine and said they were wearing badly. I said ya, it's out of alignment! If this dealer did the alignment to the specs shown and a tire rotation, would it be bad tire wear causing the left pull? btw, I rotate all 5 tires. Maybe I will rotate them myself and see what happens and right down how I start and finish with the tires in order to keep track of what happens.

OP
OP
cbmjeep

cbmjeep

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I took it back and they centered the steering wheel for me and checked the alignment again and it was the same and in spec. The tech did drive it before and after and I was told he double checked the steering components and found something lose that he tightened and it drives straight now. I could not get the service girl to tell me what he found out and it was not on the ticket! Stupid! I do get a pull when driving on the right or left side of the highway and I guess that is due to the crown of the road.

CorvZ061

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
Since this is stock, why would it come this way from the factory if you are saying it is wrong or not good? Is it just a Jeep thing? lol
The caster is fine. It’s within spec for a stock Jeep. The additional caster that some prefer is only needed when your Jeep is lifted and has bigger tires.
Sponsored