Sponsored

Alcon Brakes great, but buy them at “Alconkits.com”, not CJPP

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
My brother ordered the Alcon brake kit, front and rear, from CJ Pony Parts on Christmas Eve ($4200). The parts showed as “in stock” but shipping from the manufacturer. When my brother got his VISA bill ten days ago it showed the charge hit his card on the 24th, but he had not received any tracking information, so he wrote to inquire. A week later he got a response from “Jessica”, indicating that if he wanted a refund she would look into it and see if she could have them “stop building his order”. Apparently “in stock” means something different at CJPP and, unlike Amazon and most other vendors, they charge you at order time, even if you won’t receive anything for months. (The brakes are manufactured in England).

My brother was pissed at the deception and poor service, so he called AlconUSA in Mooresvile, NC, to see if he could learn when his order was going to ship.

He spoke to the President, Phil Stubbs, a British transplant with 25 years in the States. Phil was great to talk to, and a wealth of information. They talked brakes for half an hour.

Stubbs graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering before going to work for Alcon in their military brake development department, ultimately designing production molds for one of their manufacturing plants in Mexico.

Stubbs was a wealth of information about racing and military applications for Alcon engineering. He said that the lion’s share of their sales are to British military branches and their brakes have to be rated for service-free 20 year duty cycles. That’s how they’ve sort of been forced to build super heavy-duty and very high quality braking systems: The things they’ve learned along the “mil-spec” pathway have migrated into their racing and civilian production practices, which provides some insight into the quality, durability, and pricing of their brakes.
Sponsored