Sponsored

Alcon Big Brake Kit for JL Wrangler Complete!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
RebelOffRoad

RebelOffRoad

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
22551 Shannon Circle, Lake Forest, CA 92630
Website
www.rebeloffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU / Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Occupation
Jeep Builder
Maybe on a long down hill run with a strong tail wind I could get to 140. :cwl: I have to say I am impressed even with the stock brakes and will see how long they last before upgrading - but will keep these on my list. You are a good sport - made my day with your response. Thank You
You bet!
;)
Sponsored

The Custom Jeep Builder

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2021 392 Rubicon
Occupation
Jeep Customizer
When will these be available?
By SEMA (30 Days or so). You'll see Rebels rig, and mine running them prior to, and after the show of course. I will also be independently testing against another brand on a similarly equipped jeep and heck, I may find a stingray convertible to play with as well.

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
IIRC, the Rubicon comes with a big brake kit stock. Where these improvements based on the stock big brake kit or the Sahara/Sport brakes? How much improvement could one expect coming from the Rubicon brakes? Sorry if this was addressed in the video, I am unable to watch it at work.
Sahara comes with big brake kit also

Richamby

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara born on 5-18; 1999 TJ 2 Dr
Rotor size and mass has a lot to do with how much kinetic energy can be changed to heat.
Ceramic rotors have made the old school calculations hard to apply.
Bigger rotors help a lot.
If you don’t think so ask someone to install some Miata rotors on your Jeep.
Back in the day, when everyone thought you locked the brakes up to stop faster. You could take a school bus or a sports car and they would stop within a foot or two of each other. That’s why troopers used to measure the skid marks. You had a way of testing the fiction of the pavement and measured the skid marks...calculate their speed.
ABS made it tougher, but now you take a IR picture with camera and measure the invisible skid marks, look up the pulse characteristics of the car. For example if the ABS pulses every 1/60 of a second and you measure between the pulsed marks, they get shorter as the car slows down...calculation done..he was doing..
Now if a guy has good breaking skills, he can keep it right on the edge of skidding, those big rotors are converting kinetic motion energy to heat and the pads don’t gas off because of all the heat and if he’s good, the car stops, in a very short distance.
Better brakes aren’t just about shorter stopping distance but slowing down on a long hill without glazing the brake pads or boiling the brake fluid, or having the brake with a trailer..

I’m happy you guys are offering this product, guys that live in mountainous areas or pull trailers without trailer brakes will be happy. Guys that speed, drive at 80 and have larger tires, would benefit too.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dewey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
How long do the brake pads last compared to the OEM? How much do the replacement pads cost? Do they squeal/squeak either while braking or when not braking? Are the brake pads subject to change by the manufacturer w/o notice to the buyer? Example being- OE Alcon pads that squeal get updated and the price goes from $200 a set to $400 a set. Then the updated pads last 50% as long and only available from Alcon.

OP
OP
RebelOffRoad

RebelOffRoad

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeloffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Builder
How long do the brake pads last compared to the OEM? How much do the replacement pads cost? Do they squeal/squeak either while braking or when not braking? Are the brake pads subject to change by the manufacturer w/o notice to the buyer? Example being- OE Alcon pads that squeal get updated and the price goes from $200 a set to $400 a set. Then the updated pads last 50% as long and only available from Alcon.
1. Driving style will have a great effect on how long pads last. We weren't given R&D specifications and haven't burned through our pads yet, so we can't compare vs. OEM.
2. Being that's these kits are not at the MASSPRO stage, Alcon hasn't given us prices on anything. So, we don't know how much replacement pads are going to cost.
3. We have not had any squealing with the set we were given.
4. There's no way for us to know future production changes Alcon may or may not make before they know themselves.

Let us know if you have any more questions!

The Custom Jeep Builder

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2021 392 Rubicon
Occupation
Jeep Customizer
Revival of a good thread!
6months and 9,000 miles in and these are worth every penny! While some of you were in a bit of shock with the initial testing, i confirmed recently on video from 50, I out braked a comparable rubicon with same suspension, tires, tire pressure and very similar weight. 3 jeep lengths, 45 feet difference from 50.
No fade.
Incredible holding power offroad.
Super easy pedal pressure.
Cons....gotta worry about your rearview when you go to full braking a lot more tha you need to worry about the people in front of you.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
Do you have a template to measure the wheel to caliper fitment? The Teraflex Delta do not fit the AEV Borah wheels, hoping these do.

20190504_183542.jpg

OceanBlueRubicon

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 3.6 V6
6months and 9,000 miles in and these are worth every penny! While some of you were in a bit of shock with the initial testing, i confirmed recently on video from 50, I out braked a comparable rubicon with same suspension, tires, tire pressure and very similar weight. 3 jeep lengths, 45 feet difference from 50.
No fade.
Cons....gotta worry about your rearview when you go to full braking a lot more tha you need to worry about the people in front of you.
Where did you buy yours from? I went on the
No fade.
Where did you buy yours from. I went to the Rebel Offroad site and couldn't find them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RebelOffRoad

RebelOffRoad

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeloffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Builder
Last edited:
OP
OP
RebelOffRoad

RebelOffRoad

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeloffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Builder
Last edited:

AdvEddie

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Rubicon EcoDiesel -15 Ram 2500 Cummins Mega
Any experience installing these on a diesel with the vacuum booster? I am not digging the vagueness of the stock brakes and given the weight I am carrying need to figure out a solution for a firmer pedal feel and more stopping power.

Status
Not open for further replies.