Sponsored

Alcon Big Brake Kit for JL Wrangler Complete!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebelOffRoad

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
22551 Shannon Circle, Lake Forest, CA 92630
Website
www.rebeloffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU / Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Occupation
Jeep Builder
Our Alcon Brakes Jeep Wrangler JL Big Brake testing is finished. We saw a 40+% improvement over stock braking. At 50 mph we had 104 ft braking distance with stock brakes. The Alcon Brakes we were able to stop the Jeep at a 61 foot braking distance (best run) at 50mph. You really need to experience the power of these brakes. If you’d like to bring your JL down for a test run stop by the shop and we schedule you in for the Alcon Experience!

Sponsored

thehaf

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited; 1995 Mitsubishi J-55 import
Occupation
Network Admin
Vehicle Showcase
IIRC, the Rubicon comes with a big brake kit stock. Where these improvements based on the stock big brake kit or the Sahara/Sport brakes? How much improvement could one expect coming from the Rubicon brakes? Sorry if this was addressed in the video, I am unable to watch it at work.

OP
OP
RebelOffRoad

RebelOffRoad

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeloffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Builder
IIRC, the Rubicon comes with a big brake kit stock. Where these improvements based on the stock big brake kit or the Sahara/Sport brakes? How much improvement could one expect coming from the Rubicon brakes? Sorry if this was addressed in the video, I am unable to watch it at work.
The testing was done in our RUBICON. The Sahara has the same brake package as the Rubicon:

BRAKES
  • Type: Power-assisted, anti-lock braking system
  • Availability: Standard
  • Front
    • Rotor size and type:
      • 12.9 x .94 (330 x 24) vented rotor – Sport
      • 12.9 x 1.1 (330 x 28) vented rotor – Sahara and Rubicon
    • Caliper size and type:
      • 1.88 (48) twin-piston floating caliper – Sport
      • 2 (51) twin-piston floating caliper – Sahara and Rubicon
  • Rear:
    • Rotor size and type:
      • 12.9 x .47 (328 x 12) solid rotor – Sport
      • 13.4 x .55 (342 x 14) solid rotor – Sahara and Rubicon
    • Caliper size and type:
      • 1.77 (45) single-piston floating caliper – Sport
      • 1.88 (48) single-piston floating caliper – Sahara and Rubicon

Alcons Big Brake Kit has 6 pistons per caliper up front and 4 per caliper in the rear, additionally, they are bored out to a larger diameter for more stopping power. Also they are larger in general, both rotors and calipers. With the Alcon upgrade to our Rubicon, we experience 40% better stopping distances.

Last edited:

Adam0311

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Mojito!
Occupation
Operations Officer and Armorer for the NMUSAF
How does these differ from the Mopar Big Brakes kit? Just a different vendor/manufacture, or is there a engineering difference as well?
Thanks in advance...

OP
OP
RebelOffRoad

RebelOffRoad

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeloffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Builder
How does these differ from the Mopar Big Brakes kit? Just a different vendor/manufacture, or is there a engineering difference as well?
Thanks in advance...
Alcons Big Brake Kit has 6 pistons per caliper up front and 4 per caliper in the rear, additionally, they are bored out to a larger diameter for more stopping power. Also they are larger in general, both rotors and calipers. From what I can find (there's poor and conflicting information) Mopar's "Big Brake Kit" is the factory brake set-up for the Rubicon and Sahara; it is only an upgrade if you are replacing the brakes on a Sport. Alcon's Big Brake Kit is a 100% upgrade over both factory Sport brakes and the "Big Brake (Heavy Duty)" brakes that come on Rubicon and Sport Models. The are built with higher performance and more wear resistant components than Mopar's Kit.

From Alcon:
- Ductile Iron caliper housing providing maximum strength and stiffness as well as high resistance to impact & fatigue

- Epoxy acrylic paint over acid zinc finish for maximum corrosion protection

- High friction pads significantly increase both stopping distance & stopping power

- Larger rotors increase brake torque and thermal capacity, reducing potential for brake fade

- Increased pad area reduces temperatures and increases pad life

- Retains & utilizes OEM parking brake

From Mopar:
Make sure you have the added stopping power you need when you add larger wheels and tires to your Jeep Wrangler JL. This genuine OEM Mopar Performance Big Brake Kit will improve fade resistance and enhance your stopping ability to make sure you're ready for your next adventure.

• Direct Bolt-On Heavy Duty Front and Rear Brake Kit

Sponsored

thehaf

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited; 1995 Mitsubishi J-55 import
Occupation
Network Admin
Vehicle Showcase
The testing was done in our RUBICON. The Sahara has the same brake package as the Rubicon:

BRAKES
  • Type: Power-assisted, anti-lock braking system
  • Availability: Standard
  • Front
    • Rotor size and type:
      • 12.9 x .94 (330 x 24) vented rotor – Sport
      • 12.9 x 1.1 (330 x 28) vented rotor – Sahara and Rubicon
    • Caliper size and type:
      • 1.88 (48) twin-piston floating caliper – Sport
      • 2 (51) twin-piston floating caliper – Sahara and Rubicon
  • Rear:
    • Rotor size and type:
      • 12.9 x .47 (328 x 12) solid rotor – Sport
      • 13.4 x .55 (342 x 14) solid rotor – Sahara and Rubicon
    • Caliper size and type:
      • 1.77 (45) single-piston floating caliper – Sport
      • 1.88 (48) single-piston floating caliper – Sahara and Rubicon

Alcons Big Brake Kit has 6 pistons per caliper up front and 4 per caliper in the rear, additionally, they are bored out to a larger diameter for more stopping power. Also they are larger in general, both rotors and calipers. With the Alcon upgrade to our Rubicon, we experience 40% better stopping distances.
Thanks for the info!

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Will these still work on 17" wheels?

OP
OP
RebelOffRoad

RebelOffRoad

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeloffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Builder

jhnnymac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota 4Runner
Can you light a cigsrrette on them after going from 160 to zero?

OP
OP
RebelOffRoad

RebelOffRoad

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeloffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Builder
Can you light a cigsrrette on them after going from 160 to zero?
Every thing about them is designed to reduce heat build up and brake fade. That being said, I'm not sure if our JL has been to 160 and I don't smoke. Also, would that be a good or bad thing?

Sponsored

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon (Black - Hardtop)
To be honest, I am not convinced. I had a 2016 M235 on high performance summer tires and 2006 Porsche Carrera 4S which both have excellent stopping power, aside from the brake, the tires extremely important. In my experience, when my JLU Rubicon going from roughly 50/60mph to 0 at full braking power, the tires give-up the grip first instead of the brake. Which means even if you add better braking power it's not the brake but the tires which give-up first. and you end up with the same braking distance even with better brakes.

Here are 2 links which I google search which I think are useful info.
1> https://www.motortrend.com/news/20-best-60-to-0-distances-recorded/
(Best 60-0 distances-recorded by Motortrend)
2> https://www.drivingtestsuccess.com/blog/stopping-distances-and-theory-test
(It contains some info to help calculate the difference on braking distance between 60mph & 50mph to 0) which is approx. 73%

For example, if a car need 100 ft going from 60-0, it would be approx 73ft going from 50-0

The best car listed there is a 2014 CHEVROLET CORVETTE STINGRAY CONVERTIBLE - 90 FEET from 60-0, so 50mph to zero would be approx. 65.7 feet

Car & Driver did a test on the regular 4dr Sport braking test: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-jeep-wrangler-v-6-4x4-manual-instrumented-test-review
at 191 from 70-0, using the same method (50% better distance going from 70mph to 50mph), the JL Sport would stop from 50-0 @ 95.5 feet, and the Sahara & Rubicon would probably has some slightly better numbers.

I just don't see how a 4Dr Jeep with BFG All Terrain Tires can stop from 50-0 @ 61 ft when a Corvette Stingray needs 65.7 ft.

With that said, I am not an engineer, and I could be wrong, and I would be happy if I can upgrade my Jeep to stop as quick as the Corvette.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
To be honest, I am not convinced. I had a 2016 M235 on high performance summer tires and 2006 Porsche Carrera 4S which both have excellent stopping power, aside from the brake, the tires extremely important. In my experience, when my JLU Rubicon going from roughly 50/60mph to 0 at full braking power, the tires give-up the grip first instead of the brake. Which means even if you add better braking power it's not the brake but the tires which give-up first. and you end up with the same braking distance even with better brakes.

(It contains some info to help calculate the difference on braking distance between 60mph & 50mph to 0) which is approx. 73%

For example, if a car need 100 ft going from 60-0, it would be approx 73ft going from 50-0

The best car listed there is a 2014 CHEVROLET CORVETTE STINGRAY CONVERTIBLE - 90 FEET from 60-0, so 50mph to zero would be approx. 65.7 feet

Car & Driver did a test on the regular 4dr Sport braking test: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-jeep-wrangler-v-6-4x4-manual-instrumented-test-review
at 191 from 70-0, using the same method (50% better distance going from 70mph to 50mph), the JL Sport would stop from 50-0 @ 95.5 feet, and the Sahara & Rubicon would probably has some slightly better numbers.

I just don't see how a 4Dr Jeep with BFG All Terrain Tires can stop from 50-0 @ 61 ft when a Corvette Stingray needs 65.7 ft.

With that said, I am not an engineer, and I could be wrong, and I would be happy if I can upgrade my Jeep to stop as quick as the Corvette.
I don't buy it either. Seems like the numbers are being fudged a little here (little meaning a lot)...

jhnnymac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota 4Runner
Every thing about them is designed to reduce heat build up and brake fade. That being said, I'm not sure if our JL has been to 160 and I don't smoke. Also, would that be a good or bad thing?
Maybe on a long down hill run with a strong tail wind I could get to 140. :cwl: I have to say I am impressed even with the stock brakes and will see how long they last before upgrading - but will keep these on my list. You are a good sport - made my day with your response. Thank You

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017

With ABS, you can have the biggest brakes you can buy but it will make zero difference if the tires slip. As an extreme example, brakes will have very little say if you're trying to stop on ice because grip is the limiting factor. To increase grip (at all speeds), you got to change the road or change the tires or both.

OP
OP
RebelOffRoad

RebelOffRoad

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeloffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Builder

I don't buy it either. Seems like the numbers are being fudged a little here (little meaning a lot)...
Well, we won't contest the numbers you've found. The information I've presented came from us literally taking out our JL, measuring a piece of road and making many runs at it at 50mph. First we used the factory brakes, then put on the Alcon kit and took it back out. Being the one that was driving, I can tell you that there was a substantial difference in both stopping distance AND actuation.

To the point you mentioned about breaking traction with the tires, to me, if you allow that to happen, then it's not a proper stop test. If you just stomp on the brake in any car at 50mph, you're more than likely going to break traction (or as much as ABS will allow). To properly test the brakes, you have to be able keep them juuuuuust under the point of breaking traction, that way, you're measuring how far the brakes take to stop the wheel, not how far the tire slides on the road.

Also, those tests were not performed with Alcon's Big Brake Kit.

Now, I'm no engineer either, but as I said and as you can see in the video, there was definitely a substantial difference.

If you're still unconvinced, you're more than welcome to come by the shop and take it for a spin! =)

-Kyle @RebelOffRoad
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.