Sponsored

ALCON 6 PISTON FRONT VS TERALFLEX DELTA BRAKES

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I did the PowerStops pads/rotors and noticed nice improvement. My rig is heavy and I’m going down mountain roads loaded with camping gear all the time when I drive it. Never smelled my brakes once, I did before with the stock setup. Plus, it will lock up all 4 in a panic braking situation……damn drivers on their phones. 😡
My Jeep weighs 5700# empty and would push right through the OEMs and the PowerStops on flat terrain much less the mountains here in CO. Had I not did some "instant offroading" where the lady pulled out in front of me, I would have hit her.

@TeraFlex FTW!
Sponsored

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
My Jeep weighs 5700# empty and would push right through the OEMs and the PowerStops on flat terrain much less the mountains here in CO. Had I not did some "instant offroading" where the lady pulled out in front of me, I would have hit her.

@TeraFlex FTW!
Maybe I got lucky and got a “good” set from PowerStop. I’m 6200lb loaded and the PS brakes have treated me very well. I wanted to try these first before I went with a BBK and don’t think I’ll be upgrading to anything else.

Glad you are happy with the TF setup, hope they continue to put a smile on your face. 👍🏼

Floriduramax3.0

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrngler Rubicon Unlimited 3.0td
Maybe I got lucky and got a “good” set from PowerStop. I’m 6200lb loaded and the PS brakes have treated me very well. I wanted to try these first before I went with a BBK and don’t think I’ll be upgrading to anything else.

Glad you are happy with the TF setup, hope they continue to put a smile on your face. 👍🏼
I'm with Carbon. I installed my Z36 front and rears the first week of March and broke them in according to their instructions. They have not been as good as the OEM. Something interesting though, I have the set that came with the red calipers on my JKU and it's great. I put a set on my C-6 Vette and they were so..so. I wound up putting Hawk pads on it but I think they changed something in the rotor build as they heat up and vibrate a little. I also have a set on my 2006 GMC 2500 LBZ and they are fine with the truck empty but not so with my boat hooked up. I think I have purchased my last set of Power Stops. Oh yeah, we have a set on our Escalade and they stop it and are clean but it requires almost double the pressure on the pedal as the stock. You would think I would learn but they were the only thing in stock. I have an employee with a detailing business on the side and I'm going to trade him the PS's for a wax on the inside of my boat so no loss!!

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
I'm with Carbon. I installed my Z36 front and rears the first week of March and broke them in according to their instructions. They have not been as good as the OEM. Something interesting though, I have the set that came with the red calipers on my JKU and it's great. I put a set on my C-6 Vette and they were so..so. I wound up putting Hawk pads on it but I think they changed something in the rotor build as they heat up and vibrate a little. I also have a set on my 2006 GMC 2500 LBZ and they are fine with the truck empty but not so with my boat hooked up. I think I have purchased my last set of Power Stops. Oh yeah, we have a set on our Escalade and they stop it and are clean but it requires almost double the pressure on the pedal as the stock. You would think I would learn but they were the only thing in stock. I have an employee with a detailing business on the side and I'm going to trade him the PS's for a wax on the inside of my boat so no loss!!
I installed my PS setup back in April 2020, so it’s very likely things have changed. Rotor material, pad compound, something. I’ve got 20k miles on them and they look and work great. Guess I’m an outlier and have had good luck with PS. 🤷🏼‍♂️

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I think Hawk LTS pads on OEM JL OEM calipers/rotors would be a nice step up from the Powerstops but ??? That's my next brake upgrade, would love those Teraflex BBK but not in my budget for now, but any braking improvement is better than what I've got now :(

Sponsored

Jeep Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
duuuude
As for DOT 3 vs 4, If you're needing to slice your braking system capabilities that thin, by all means, go to a better fluid. As you undoubtedly know, changing the entire fluid volume of your system regularly, will be worth much more in temperature capability than the difference between those two fluids.
Sorry man, you are way off the mark there lol. I don't know what brand DOT 4's you have used before, and how HARD you used them, but other than their rediculous hydroscopic nature(i replace my DOT 4 fluid on the Porsche every 12 months MAX FWIW), the Super Blue German formula I use......well let me put it an other way. I dare anyone to put their 911 on the track for a few good laps, with DOT 3 fluid 😂 and try to keep up with me, because it ain't gonna happen 😆. I'll leave it at that ;)

Jeep Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
duuuude
About 2.3 seconds after hitting them during a SHTF moment when traveling at highway speeds and someone pulls out in front of you.

Ask me how I know...
I believe you.

Nonetheless, you(the rest as well) are all going to tempt me, to go outside now, bring my Jeep up to 60mph and slam on the brakes....

The whole lot of you better hope and pray to God, my ABS doesn't kick in when it is supposed to, cuz I'm commin back in here, with a little speech......on "braking properly 101" ; )

Either that, or we do some leg workouts and beef up the calve muscles lolllll

If my experiment proves your observations correct, then I shall order this kit, along with for extra rotors to go, for the long haul.

My critical thinking and hands on investigative process, has brought me far in life, so take no offence on my proceedings.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I believe you.

Nonetheless, you(the rest as well) are all going to tempt me, to go outside now, bring my Jeep up to 60mph and slam on the brakes....

The whole lot of you better hope and pray to God, my ABS doesn't kick in when it is supposed to, cuz I'm commin back in here, with a little speech......on "braking properly 101" ; )

Either that, or we do some leg workouts and beef up the calve muscles lolllll

If my experiment proves your observations correct, then I shall order this kit, along with for extra rotors to go, for the long haul.

My critical thinking and hands on investigative process, has brought me far in life, so take no offence on my proceedings.
Even when my ABS kicked in, the Jeep would push through the holding power of the brakes. They just cannot handle the weight and speed versus the brake surface area and the clamping power of the calipers.

No longer an issue given the surface area increases as well as 4 pistons per wheel versus 2 or 1...

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Sorry man, you are way off the mark there lol. I don't know what brand DOT 4's you have used before, and how HARD you used them, but other than their rediculous hydroscopic nature(i replace my DOT 4 fluid on the Porsche every 12 months MAX FWIW), the Super Blue German formula I use......well let me put it an other way. I dare anyone to put their 911 on the track for a few good laps, with DOT 3 fluid 😂 and try to keep up with me, because it ain't gonna happen 😆. I'll leave it at that ;)
I think you missed my point. Water laden DOT 4 boils below the boiling point of new DOT 3. If you let DOT 4 soak up a lot of water, it isn't as good as new DOT 3. So, changing the fluid regularly to preclude high water content is better than DOT 4 left in to absorb it's maximum water. New DOT 3 is better than old DOT 4. Most people leave brake fluid in the vehicles for many years. Changing it will get you huge jumps in boiling point, regardless of DOT 3 vs 4.

Your track analogy is great, but real world street braking is rarely near that kind of continuous heating of the brake components. Street driving gives you the opportunity to slow down further or even stop to let the brake system cool.

What you are intentionally dismissing is the need for added clamping force and heat capacity of these larger brakes we are discussing. I believe you are doing this to dismiss the benefits of these larger brake systems to support your notion that people that have added more braking to their jeeps are foolish and you have a superior position on this. Unless you have actual experience with 37" or larger tires in a JL, you are just speculating and those of us that do have experience with these larger tires know your continued badgering isn't productive to solving our issue. I'm not asking you to concede, but can you be graceful enough to simply cease?

Jeep Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
duuuude
Even when my ABS kicked in, the Jeep would push through the holding power of the brakes. They just cannot handle the weight and speed versus the brake surface area and the clamping power of the calipers.
Well, I just got back from abusing my 37" KO2 D rated tires. I brought them up to normal opetating temperature, in my case, @ 30PSI, a low road surface tempetature of 10C/50F.

Experimented 2 rounds of it, and it did not go well, as the KO2's failed to catch enough grip to begin with. The ABS was in full swing as expected, but braking G forces were not where they should be.

The 2nd round was a little bit more dramatic, and I may have caught a smidgen of that "push through the holding power of the brakes" you speak of.

I will perform a round 3 in the noon sunshine, with temps min. x2 higher than right now. This will give the rubber more grip. I actually can't wait 😁.

Sponsored

Floriduramax3.0

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrngler Rubicon Unlimited 3.0td
Well, I just got back from abusing my 37" KO2 D rated tires. I brought them up to normal opetating temperature, in my case, @ 30PSI, a low road surface tempetature of 10C/50F.

Experimented 2 rounds of it, and it did not go well, as the KO2's failed to catch enough grip to begin with. The ABS was in full swing as expected, but braking G forces were not where they should be.

The 2nd round was a little bit more dramatic, and I may have caught a smidgen of that "push through the holding power of the brakes" you speak of.

I will perform a round 3 in the noon sunshine, with temps min. x2 higher than right now. This will give the rubber more grip. I actually can't wait 😁.
Good job! Any excuse to go for a Jeep ride is a good excuse..lol You shouldn't have to try different "conditions" for the brakes to do their job. With these 40's and the new Power Stops I was having to put my weight into this brake pedal to try to come down off an obstacle gracefully. It actually takes a lot of force on the pedal just to hold the Jeep from moving when idling in 4 low and M1! I will start on the install after 5 today and hopefully finish tonight but it looks like my new track bar bushings are being delivered today and since I'm pulling tires I may as well change all the bushings as they are popping so may not be able to road test till tomorrow night. As bid as these are they have to be effective even if they just slow ya down just from their weight alone..lol

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Here is an experiment that you will not be able to do until you have installed another set of brakes, but I am certain you have the same experience I did prior to the Teraflex brakes. Prior to, I had to push the pedal quite a bit to engage the brakes and it never felt like I could push it hard enough to have the response that I was expecting. I now only have to push the pedal about 1/4" to 3/8" of an inch before the brakes begin to work.

This is because the amount of travel required has been reduced by 50% (perhaps more) due to pistons now being on both sides of the rotor and so less fluid is needed to have the brakes engage. My pedal is much higher and more responsive than it ever was--either with OEM pads and rotors or PowerStop pads and rotors.

Just burn your current braking performance into your brain so that you can remember how it "used to be" if you change your brakes to something else.

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Do 4xe brakes not fit on your guys jeeps?
Sponsored