Sponsored

Alberta JL owners out here? show off your rig!

YJGUY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 F150, 2018 V-Strom 650
How was it out there? I'm planning on heading out to the lake there Saturday. Was there still ice on the hills?
There was some ice on a couple of the steep hills but it wasn’t bad. I’d imagine most is melted in the past 2 weeks. There were lots of flat sections with snow/ice. Quite a few dirt bike guys crashing. Not an issue for 4 wheeled folks.

We are heading to McLean creek area Saturday. Never been there before so it should be fun if it doesn’t rain too much.
Sponsored

Lgharr

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLU Sahara, 2013 Ninja 650r
There was some ice on a couple of the steep hills but it wasn’t bad. I’d imagine most is melted in the past 2 weeks. There were lots of flat sections with snow/ice. Quite a few dirt bike guys crashing. Not an issue for 4 wheeled folks.

We are heading to McLean creek area Saturday. Never been there before so it should be fun if it doesn’t rain too much.
Very nice. Keep us updated on those conditions. Im on the south end of town so McLean Creek is easier for me to get to than ghost, and I plan on spending a bunch of time wandering the trails this summer.

Lgharr

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLU Sahara, 2013 Ninja 650r
Went out to Waiparous today. Was going to do the loop to get the Margret's lake, but it was just us and got into some snow on the hills that we just weren't prepared to tackle. Thought I had gotten a bit lost in there, but just being unfamiliar with the area caused some challenges.

Will go again with people to learn the area, but still had some fun. Made a fire, had some hot dogs and marshmellows, and got soaking wet.

IMG_1267.jpg

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
Went to McLean on Saturday. It was crazy busy. Found a quiet spot for some hot dogs and let the kids loose.

Jeep Wrangler JL Alberta JL owners out here? show off your rig! IMG_5905

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Went out to Waiparous today. Was going to do the loop to get the Margret's lake, but it was just us and got into some snow on the hills that we just weren't prepared to tackle. Thought I had gotten a bit lost in there, but just being unfamiliar with the area caused some challenges.

Will go again with people to learn the area, but still had some fun. Made a fire, had some hot dogs and marshmellows, and got soaking wet.
I highly recommend getting something like Gaia GPS. Works amazing with UConnect screen and It makes it so you never have to worry about not knowing where you are. I wish I had got it before. Used to struggle around with paper maps out there haha.

Sponsored

YJGUY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

YJGUY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pretty crazy some of those spots.
There were bypasses for those spots so it wasn’t too difficult if you wanted to take it easy. The mud was pretty greasy even on some of the relatively flat spots. Guys running A/T tires got stuck a few times. That’s Part of the fun though. The trickiest part was at the beginning of the trail we were on, The trees were very tight for a 4 doors. Having a good spotter with you helps a lot.

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There were bypasses for those spots so it wasn’t too difficult if you wanted to take it easy. The mud was pretty greasy even on some of the relatively flat spots. Guys running A/T tires got stuck a few times. That’s Part of the fun though. The trickiest part was at the beginning of the trail we were on, The trees were very tight for a 4 doors. Having a good spotter with you helps a lot.
What waypoints were you guys following (PLUZ map numbers) do you know? Doesn't look familiar.

YJGUY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What waypoints were you guys following (PLUZ map numbers) do you know? Doesn't look familiar.
It was my first time there so I'm just going over my Gaia GPS tracks to see where we were in relation to the PLUZ map. I'm new to mapping too so still trying to figure that out.

From the best I can tell, we took:
- The black trail right across from the store heading south past 48>86>92
- Down at 224 we headed East onto the Fish East trail.
- We stopped at the lake just above 167 for lunch. Really nice spot.
- Kept following the trail as it hooked back West to the 428 intersection and took that black trail line (gravel road) North and to the store doubling back 92>86>48.

It took up about 5 hours total with 7 Jeeps. And that was including lunch and stopping several times so some of the guys could try some of the mud and harder obstacles where we had to winch or tug people out. The hardest single spot was after the 150 at the last downward squiggle before you cross the water. That's where the Grey JL with power top was getting tugged out backwards in my photos. Its a very deep soupy mess and it was still full of ice. There was probably 8 inches of ice jammed into his front bumper and we couldn't winch him forward through the hole. There are 2 bypass options to the right but it is very tight, best to have someone spot you through. Right after that you cross a small bridge and there are some tight trees, you just have to be careful and take it slow.

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/bd9...-mclean-creek-pluz-georeferenced-map-2021.pdf

Sponsored

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was my first time there so I'm just going over my Gaia GPS tracks to see where we were in relation to the PLUZ map. I'm new to mapping too so still trying to figure that out.

From the best I can tell, we took:
- The black trail right across from the store heading south past 48>86>92
- Down at 224 we headed East onto the Fish East trail.
- We stopped at the lake just above 167 for lunch. Really nice spot.
- Kept following the trail as it hooked back West to the 428 intersection and took that black trail line (gravel road) North and to the store doubling back 92>86>48.

It took up about 5 hours total with 7 Jeeps. And that was including lunch and stopping several times so some of the guys could try some of the mud and harder obstacles where we had to winch or tug people out. The hardest single spot was after the 150 at the last downward squiggle before you cross the water. That's where the Grey JL with power top was getting tugged out backwards in my photos. Its a very deep soupy mess and it was still full of ice. There was probably 8 inches of ice jammed into his front bumper and we couldn't winch him forward through the hole. There are 2 bypass options to the right but it is very tight, best to have someone spot you through. Right after that you cross a small bridge and there are some tight trees, you just have to be careful and take it slow.

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/bd9...-mclean-creek-pluz-georeferenced-map-2021.pdf
Awesome thanks. I'm hoping to make it out to that same lake this summer. You think it would be easier going from the south side or the north side once it's all dried up. I'm 2" level on 33s.

YJGUY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think going the way I did would be easier. The only real obstacle is that mud pit the Grey JL got pulled backwards out of. I'd much rather go down that up in that spot. Even using the bypass could be tricky if it is at all slick as you only have a couple inches to spare between the trees.

huyfishin

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.huyfishin.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Automotive Paint Protection Film Installer and Glass tinter
Do you guys know any places offgrid in alberta where I can camp and fish lakeside?

north53overland

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR (incoming), 2013 Fiat 500T
Today was D Day. 2021 JLUR with Sky One-Touch. From YEG but bought at Innisfail Chrysler. I can’t say enough good things about them. They were the 4th dealer we met and will never go anywhere else again as long as Adam, Pauline, Katie and Derek are there.
They made today and the entire process so easy and fun.
Constant communication, always the truth a d truly care about a client relationship.

With that said, here it is.
Jeep Wrangler JL Alberta JL owners out here? show off your rig! 94F788E1-1281-4888-9EFE-372D2E1C9FB7
Jeep Wrangler JL Alberta JL owners out here? show off your rig! D247CEE8-EA42-4E67-A365-3CED39F70039
Jeep Wrangler JL Alberta JL owners out here? show off your rig! B27C2088-5D48-43F3-874F-CA00AA4EE3DE
Jeep Wrangler JL Alberta JL owners out here? show off your rig! F817074B-5EEE-422E-B265-D54DF677BF54

YJGUY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice! Don't think I've seen one with the tan leather before, looks good!
Sponsored