Sponsored

troubledog

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon diesel
Thanks for this! We bought our JLURD with this drive in mind. We hope to pull a small camp trailer too. We would have gone already save for the CN border crisis. Hoping 2022 is still a possibility
Sponsored

OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I'm in Colorado springs too. We will be leaving July 23rd and meeting up with some friends in Montana then crossing the border. We are heading up the ice fields parkway through Banff. I'm pretty jealous you have three months to spend. We have three weeks so we will definitely be moving. Here are some of the sights we have so far, if this helps.

BC
Banff
Moraine Lake
Lake Louise
Johnston canyon
Athabasca glacier
Maligne lake
Liard hot springs
Smith river falls

YUKON

ALASKA
Kennicott/McCarthy
Root Glacier Trail
Homer, Ak
Valdez, Ak
Chicken, Ak
Dalton Highway
Denali Highway
Hatcher Pass
Artic circle
Purdue Bay
I’d strongly consider making most of the Canada stops a separate trip given how much you want to see in AK and how little time you have. Banff can be done in a long weekend from CO and honestly, doing them back to back in 2018 and now living in AK going on 4 years, we found AK not only demands maximal time, but also has a way of constantly one-upping Canada when compared in quick succession. Or you can just move to AK because it’s the raddest place on earth and there’s no greater privilege than having years to explore it.

OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Appreciate that list, I'll add it to the already growing one I've got. Also wading thru the paperwork requirements for transporting firearms across the Canadian border and back....it appears they're not to fond of handguns.
If you’re fortunate enough to know people on either end, easiest way to transport is shipping to yourself in c/o that other person until you get there (avoids FFL paperwork and open hours issues). I have been through the Canadian border dozens of times at 6 of the 8 border provinces, carrying no weapons nor any criminal history in either country…never met a more consistently disrespectful lot than their border agents and I’ve got nothing but horror stories from dozens of Alaskans I know traveling through with weapons. Covid has done nothing by make Canadian border agents even more of a hair trigger…went through YT and BC in August, worst experiences yet.

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
I’d strongly consider making most of the Canada stops a separate trip given how much you want to see in AK and how little time you have. Banff can be done in a long weekend from CO and honestly, doing them back to back in 2018 and now living in AK going on 4 years, we found AK not only demands maximal time, but also has a way of constantly one-upping Canada when compared in quick succession. Or you can just move to AK because it’s the raddest place on earth and there’s no greater privilege than having years to explore it.
Amen. I'll hopefully be moving up to Alaska for work in about a year and a half and am extremely excited. Being from Montana, I was told when I was young that Alaska was where Montana boys went to grow up to be men. I'll be 43 years old when I get up there, so hopefully that won't be too late to finally earn my man card.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I might need to take this on myself
how far apart are good diesel stations?
Define “good” lol. In order of reliability, Fairbanks, Deadhorse, Coldfoot, Yukon crossing. If they’re all operational, your longest stretch will be 240 miles from Coldfoot to Deadhorse. I have a 10-gallon AEV fuel caddy and 600 miles of combined range rolling at 6000lbs fully loaded on 37s with a 2.75” lift…no stops required between Fairbanks and Deadhorse (500 miles) but both Yukon crossing and Coldfoot stations were open (needed gas for the 250 dual-sport bikes we were riding with the wife rolling the JLURD as a SAG wagon). You’re likely to be fine with zero spare fuel tanks unless you’re towing over Atigun Pass. Pro-tip: carry a shaker siphon and worst case, flag down one of the hundreds of big rigs on the road to snag a couple gallons.

OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Amen. I'll hopefully be moving up to Alaska for work in about a year and a half and am extremely excited. Being from Montana, I was told when I was young that Alaska was where Montana boys went to grow up to be men. I'll be 43 years old when I get up there, so hopefully that won't be too late to finally earn my man card.
I would say that’s an accurate comparison of Montana and Alaska, despite the fact that I love Montana. We’ve been fortunate to travel to a long list of incredible places around the globe and AK just operates in a league of its own. You’ll have the prime of your life to live the dream up here with more money than your 20s to actually enjoy it and more wisdom so you don’t die while you’re at it lol.
Jeep Wrangler JL Alaska’s Dalton Highway in a JLURD: Bucket List Material A4DBC187-F8F7-4AEA-9805-C432703CA1D1

Last edited:

Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs

Awesome, thanks for the insight. We've talked about moving up there. My wife is a nurse practitioner and she's always showing me the job opportunities up there, lol. Any cool local places you'd recommend us exploring up there if you're allowed to divulge them? 😉

Last edited:

mushroomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
If you’re fortunate enough to know people on either end, easiest way to transport is shipping to yourself in c/o that other person until you get there (avoids FFL paperwork and open hours issues). I have been through the Canadian border dozens of times at 6 of the 8 border provinces, carrying no weapons nor any criminal history in either country…never met a more consistently disrespectful lot than their border agents and I’ve got nothing but horror stories from dozens of Alaskans I know traveling through with weapons. Covid has done nothing by make Canadian border agents even more of a hair trigger…went through YT and BC in August, worst experiences yet.
After talking to friends with more Canadian border interaction than me, and now reading your post it's for sure tipping the scales in favor of me leaving firearms behind. I could potentially purchase one once I'm in Alaska and mail it back on return because the thought of going into some remote bush with just bear spray is concerning. I do it all the time here in Colorado...but we don't have grizzlies.

OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After talking to friends with more Canadian border interaction than me, and now reading your post it's for sure tipping the scales in favor of me leaving firearms behind. I could potentially purchase one once I'm in Alaska and mail it back on return because the thought of going into some remote bush with just bear spray is concerning. I do it all the time here in Colorado...but we don't have grizzlies.
Yea bear spray is seasoning. Guns are reasonably priced up here and you won’t need a ton of ammo so buying in AK is not a bad route either. Suppressed 300BLK Noveske Ghetto Blaster is my tool of choice for defense against apex predators, pissed off moose, 2-legged criminals etc. A lot of folks like the 10mm Glock 20 up here for something a little smaller.

Sponsored

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I am taking a trip from Seattle to Tuk on 7/17. Originally planned to do it on a motorcycle. Due to an unplanned surgery, I am taking the Jeep (2018 JLU Sport S) up. Thanks for the tips in the thread. I have a 2.5" lift, will bring two mounted spares, 4 x 2gal Rotopax.. will probably need them for the motorcycles that are going than for my Jeep. My 35" BF Goodrich All Terrain K02's have about 12K miles on them, and still appear to be in excellent shape.

Things I am bringing:
2 x mounted spares
4 x 2gal rotopax
1 x 2gal water rotopax
air inflator
hand held CB with external antenna
patch kit
extra AUX battery, just in case.
all my winch accessories, probably won't need any of it.
first aid kit
a bunch of motorcycle parts and spares (3 dual sport motorcycles to support)

Thinking of bringing (would like opinions)
2 x traction boards
some sort of kit to keep the windshield together in case of a crack. Was going to swing by Safelight to see what they recommend, or bring some packing tape.
Give the Jeep a good wash and wax before I go. May make it easier to clean it up on the other side.

Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs

I am taking a trip from Seattle to Tuk on 7/17. Originally planned to do it on a motorcycle. Due to an unplanned surgery, I am taking the Jeep (2018 JLU Sport S) up. Thanks for the tips in the thread. I have a 2.5" lift, will bring two mounted spares, 4 x 2gal Rotopax.. will probably need them for the motorcycles that are going than for my Jeep. My 35" BF Goodrich All Terrain K02's have about 12K miles on them, and still appear to be in excellent shape.

Things I am bringing:
2 x mounted spares
4 x 2gal rotopax
1 x 2gal water rotopax
air inflator
hand held CB with external antenna
patch kit
extra AUX battery, just in case.
all my winch accessories, probably won't need any of it.
first aid kit
a bunch of motorcycle parts and spares (3 dual sport motorcycles to support)

Thinking of bringing (would like opinions)
2 x traction boards
some sort of kit to keep the windshield together in case of a crack. Was going to swing by Safelight to see what they recommend, or bring some packing tape.
Give the Jeep a good wash and wax before I go. May make it easier to clean it up on the other side.
We are heading to AK on the 22nd in our JLURD. Planning to tour around most of AK. Just an fyi they just had a major washout on the Alcan between liard hot springs and Watson lake. I read they have a one lane detour open but I'd get in the Canadian highway site and double check if you are planning on taking the alcan.

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

We are heading to AK on the 22nd in our JLURD. Planning to tour around most of AK. Just an fyi they just had a major washout on the Alcan between liard hot springs and Watson lake. I read they have a one lane detour open but I'd get in the Canadian highway site and double check if you are planning on taking the alcan.
Thank you for the heads up! I have been watching the reports as well. It appears that half of the Yukon Territory is on fire right now. Closures northwest of Watson lake due to high water and fires as well.

I was informed that the "cool kids" call it the Alaska Highway, and not the Alcan nowadays!

My experience on roads in Alaska last summer is that they like to tear up the highways, and you will have upwards of 18 mile stretches of highway and you are on compact mud and clay. Cars seem to make it just fine, but be aware of less than ideal highway conditions on your trip!

I hope you enjoy Alaska. My experience was stunningly beautiful highways, with absolute _hole towns at the end of them.

Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs

Thank you for the heads up! I have been watching the reports as well. It appears that half of the Yukon Territory is on fire right now. Closures northwest of Watson lake due to high water and fires as well.

I was informed that the "cool kids" call it the Alaska Highway, and not the Alcan nowadays!

My experience on roads in Alaska last summer is that they like to tear up the highways, and you will have upwards of 18 mile stretches of highway and you are on compact mud and clay. Cars seem to make it just fine, but be aware of less than ideal highway conditions on your trip!

I hope you enjoy Alaska. My experience was stunningly beautiful highways, with absolute _hole towns at the end of them.
Thanks, yeah we have been keeping an eye on all of that too. I rode to AK in 2017 on my KTM and toured AK and the back country can't wait to get back there and bring the wife and the jeep!

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon