Sponsored

Alarm bug when closing tail gate

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I found a bug I've never noticed in other Wranglers where if you lock all the doors but have only the tailgate open, closing the tailgate will set the alarm off.

Scenario:

Put some cargo and groceries in the back. After opening the tailgate I'll usually lock the doors then and put my keys away since my hands are full and all I'll have to do is close the tailgate .

To reproduce:

- close all other doors but l leave the tailgate open
- lock the doors with either the key fob or power lock button
- close the rear tailgate

You may to give it a bit of power as it won't work if you shut the tailgate super carefully.
Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Thanks for posting. Something to know..

Can tell you that your sequence... "To reproduce", is real weird to me. I would undoubtedly never find myself doing that. Maybe it's because I'm not a millennial. :like:

Last thing I do is lock the vehicle just before I walk away. I'd never find myself doing as you do.

I'd say with most people, the last thing they would do is lock the vehicle just before they walk way. Geeez, this would be a good "poll" question.

Perhaps the alarm you are seeing in that sequence is by design. To caution you to lock the rear tailgate. Yes, a chirp of some sort, etc. would be nicer then the full blown horn alarm.

Anyway, get used to it...

Last edited:
OP
OP
1quick1

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Yea I'm not expecting a fix but something to be aware of as I've inadvertantly set my alarm off on two occasions now.

Basically it's..

-Get out of the Jeep and close door as normal
-Walk to back and open the tailgate
-Lock the doors with key
-Put keys in pocket
-Grab all my crap and shut the tailgate

It's difficult to lock the Jeep with your key FOB with your hands full. Either way not a huge deal, just worth pointing out.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
It's difficult to lock the Jeep with your key FOB with your hands full.
I hear ya. I am faced with this on grocery days also. What I do is grab the crap out of the back, use my shoulder or whatever to get the tailgate closed and then head into the house with the crap/groceries, etc.. Once I'm inside the house and crap is put on counter, etc., I grab fob and press lock. I listen for the beep to assure locking. Yes, I live in the country..
Sponsored