AirUpDown System Fixes

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
I am finally happy with the Air Up Down system but only after I replaced many components.

The four 90 degree Schrader valves they provide to install near each wheel have a recessed valve that hides deep inside the valve body causing intermittent valve closure when using. Also, air has to go through 2 narrow Schrader valves to get into my tire.

The provided chucks open nicely when you first connect them, but during the process sometimes they somehow manage to close, requiring frequent checking for pressure differentials so you can reset the problem chuck. This happens on tire side as well as the 90 degree shraeder.

I replaced the 90 degree Schrader valves with standard air couplers near each wheel, which made minimal difference in the overall length but will stsy open when connected and with higher flow rate. Push on dust caps are on order.

I replaced the couplers on the colorful hoses with a much better quality coupler, Haltec H5265. this coupler does not lose its open state during the process of airing up or down.

I replaced the ADS box shraeder outlet with a standard coupler that still fits under hood, allowing standard air hose setups direct from air pump.

I can finally air up consistently with equal tire pressure and in only 5 minutes with twin ARB pump (from 23# to 36#) on stock Rubicon 33’s. I don’t air down with this system because the JT brooks deflators are significantly quicker (3 mins for 36# to 23#).

I cannot recommend the AirUpDown product to anyone with the unreliable parts that it comes with. I would however recommend the ADS box itself.

Tip- put a small zip tie on the chuck push to connect to keep the hose from popping off accidently when pushing chuck on to schrader valve.

View attachment 343829 View attachment 343828 View attachment 343831 View attachment 343830

Jeep Wrangler JL AirUpDown System Fixes 2C86AEC0-A49A-4EC4-BD21-4E78E6F8E62F

Jeep Wrangler JL AirUpDown System Fixes 8DCC970D-771C-4DE6-8059-136B1581BDD6

Jeep Wrangler JL AirUpDown System Fixes 53CB77EB-0B93-4E2A-9B29-C9E21A71484C
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

CaliMat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I like the way you upgraded the system. Would you mind sharing the links for the components you used?

OP
OP
Akbill

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
Sure:

chucks
Haltec H-5265 Standard Bore Lock-On Air Chuck https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01938M8MW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_AyvdFbFFK0HHC

couplers
WYNNsky Air Hose Fitting, AMT... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K686TLS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

nipples
ColorFit by Milton 728MC-20... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078GZLNDY?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
push to connect 3/8 ID hose FITTINGS
MacCan Pneumatic PC3/8-N2 Male... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SQ5JP4B?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

air up down system (or just get the controller ADS)
Up Down Air 4 Tire Inflation System - Jeep Wrangler JL & JLU Engine Bay Passenger Side https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SC4MN3Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_IGvdFbWMKP87G

CaliMat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thank you. I already have the system but noticed the same issues you were mentioning. One more question, do you have the link for the dust caps?

OP
OP
Akbill

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
Thank you. I already have the system but noticed the same issues you were mentioning. One more question, do you have the link for the dust caps?
that is still a work in progress, 2nd set on order. https://www.ebay.com/itm/324094790598
my couplers are 28 mm diameter
using 3/4” rubber chair feet from ACE hardware

Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
This looks good. Thanks for posting as I'll be installing mine this month. I noticed may of the items you listed were sold in packs greater than 4. Any chance I could buy your leftovers?

OP
OP
Akbill

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
This looks good. Thanks for posting as I'll be installing mine this month. I noticed may of the items you listed were sold in packs greater than 4. Any chance I could buy your leftovers?
sorry no
The revised system is 100% reliable. and it airs down much faster than before with so many tiny shraeder valves.

CaliMat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
That is great to hear that the system is 100% reliable, I have been having issues and so is a friend of mine. Implementing your upgrades is on my never ending to-do list.
Were you able to source dust caps that fit properly.

OP
OP
Akbill

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
That is great to hear that the system is 100% reliable, I have been having issues and so is a friend of mine. Implementing your upgrades is on my never ending to-do list.
Were you able to source dust caps that fit properly.
no, i am still using 7/8” ID rubber furniture feet. the rubber caps from china were not the right size (need 21-22mm ID). let me know if successful finding caps.
NOTE that air up regulator setting varies with temperature. example, after running jeep it will stop at 34# but cold it will go up to 37#. Likely the spring mechanism in regulator effected by temp?

Last edited:

CaliMat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks for the info, I just ordered all the part and will look for a dust cap. Let me know if you find anything suitable.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Akbill

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR

CaliMat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hey Bill,

I noticed your tubing is 3/8 OD, did you increase the size of the tubing or is that the one that came with the Kit? I got my kit over a year ago and the tubing is 1/4. I am wondering if the company increased the tubing size since.

Thanks for the LugCap they fit perfectly.

OP
OP
Akbill

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
Hey Bill,

I noticed your tubing is 3/8 OD, did you increase the size of the tubing or is that the one that came with the Kit? I got my kit over a year ago and the tubing is 1/4. I am wondering if the company increased the tubing size since.

Thanks for the LugCap they fit perfectly.
the product is now all 3/8 but the havent updated instructions.

zscooby

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU white Rubicon, 2019 BMW R1250GSA 2019 Honda Talon 1000x
Northridge has the ARB dust covers. I just ordered them. Part number ARB0740113
82F472D4-BFFE-4215-BE40-E50D34B2A446.jpeg
hope that’s what you are looking for.
Sponsored