Airport Security Didn't Like my FOB

Bill 13

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR
Since there has been much discussion about the size of the key FOB I thought I would fuel the fire with my story from last Monday. I was flying from Toronto to Nashville with a laptop backpack that had a lot of stuff in it (wallet, several chargers, HDMI cable, 20' network cable, phone, notebook, mouse, bottle opener, etc,). I had already removed my tablet and laptop but my keys were in one of the side pockets.

I used to travel with a large laptop so I was pretty used to getting pulled aside so they could swab it. I've had a smaller laptop for a while now so was surprised when they pulled me aside. She went straight to the side pocket, pulled out the keys only to be surprised it was the FOB. She was mystified as to why it was so giant, I just laughed and said "that's what everyone is asking in the Jeep community".

TL;DR
Security pulled me aside because the key FOB was so giant it looked suspicious.
Sponsored

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Ugh I didn't know this. My JLUR is on-order.....haha....just how big is this thing?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Ugh I didn't know this. My JLUR is on-order.....haha....just how big is this thing?
About the size of a deck of cards. But thicker.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I've gone through a couple times now with no issue. Of course I usually unhook it from my belt loop and throw it in with my phone, sunglasses, and other misc stuff in the smaller "bowl".

Sponsored

krucam

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra, 2019 JLR ordered 12/22/2018
Occupation
FAA
Is that a roll of Tums in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

20190304_103819.jpg

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
It’s not small but certainly not huge by today’s standards. My wife’s SUV FOB is actually a little larger. I carry mine without any ring or other keys and it’s not a problem but I can see if you have keys added on it would be annoying.

With the intelligence added into these keys now I doubt we will see anything smaller for a while. Look at phones and laptops for example. Big, small, big again ...

In this instance it appears a security agent was a little overzealous.

OP
OP
Bill 13

Bill 13

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR
I fly weekly and nothing has ever been said. You just got a weird one.
Absolutely, I've flown 10+ times with it in the same pocket before and never had a problem. Just thought it was funny that they didn't look at anything else in the bag, just the one with the giant FOB. It was good for a laugh at the time.

I also used to notice that it was setting off the alarms in certain stores when I first had it which was odd. Hasn't happened for a while now though. Might have been something else.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Absolutely, I've flown 10+ times with it in the same pocket before and never had a problem. Just thought it was funny that they didn't look at anything else in the bag, just the one with the giant FOB. It was good for a laugh at the time.

I also used to notice that it was setting off the alarms in certain stores when I first had it which was odd. Hasn't happened for a while now though. Might have been something else.
There used to be a store near here that had an alarm that would go off on anything. Once my now ex wife walked through it behind me and it went off. I loudly asked “ Are you still pulling this crap after all you spent on therapy “ and stormed off. Took her a while to get over that one :CWL:

Sponsored

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
There used to be a store near here that had an alarm that would go off on anything. Once my now ex wife walked through it behind me and it went off. I loudly asked “ Are you still pulling this crap after all you spent on therapy “ and stormed off. Took her a while to get over that one :CWL:
That's Funny!, I should've done that to my ex,,,

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
I copied this pic from someone on the forum, because I thought it was funny. Don’t remember who originally posted it.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Suck it up guys, it ain't really such a "big" deal! Blame it on water proofing, sounds like a good excuse good anyway.

Go Jeep!!!