Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I read that they steal your fob signal and clone it so I stupidly ordered 3 quality Faraday boxes made in Germany. 40 bucks a piece. One for my laundry room, one for the dining room counter (in case I forget to use the Laundry room one) and one for the spare fob. The stupid part is I ordered while waiting for my Jeep this way I'd be protected from day one. Well don't ya know, Jeep comes in and the fob is the size of a freakin big mac. (not that big but big) and guess what? It don't fit!

Flyslinger2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
I was shocked when the salesman handed me the key FOB for my test drive. I really thought it was a deck of cards. I purchased a carabiner from my favorite EDC website CountyComm.com and keep all of my keys on it in the console and only carry the FOB.

I still may have to sew in additional lining for my pockets in my dress slacks.

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Im assuming your fob is bigger than my base sport fob. Doesnt seem ridiculously big to me

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Im assuming your fob is bigger than my base sport fob. Doesnt seem ridiculously big to me
No, they're all the same size. Just some mild exaggerating going on.

DanOfTheNorth

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler
I would blame that on the new bag scans being used in Canadian airports. I fly weekly and I am pulled out for a look through the tablet bag about 80% of the time, prior to the current technology in the airport, I was selected for additional screening at YYZ a handful of times in 8 years of flying regularly.

The one time they did not like the fact I had a deck of playing cards in the bag (I had put duct tape around the box because it was falling apart and that caused them to flag it.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Since there has been much discussion about the size of the key FOB I thought I would fuel the fire with my story from last Monday. I was flying from Toronto to Nashville with a laptop backpack that had a lot of stuff in it (wallet, several chargers, HDMI cable, 20' network cable, phone, notebook, mouse, bottle opener, etc,). I had already removed my tablet and laptop but my keys were in one of the side pockets.

I used to travel with a large laptop so I was pretty used to getting pulled aside so they could swab it. I've had a smaller laptop for a while now so was surprised when they pulled me aside. She went straight to the side pocket, pulled out the keys only to be surprised it was the FOB. She was mystified as to why it was so giant, I just laughed and said "that's what everyone is asking in the Jeep community".

TL;DR
Security pulled me aside because the key FOB was so giant it looked suspicious.
YYZ they are anal, don't have any real work and they like to play like they are the sh!t, always pull me over to double and triple check the baby bottles, NYC, FLL, BUF etc they just wave you through, Canadians the last defense of North America, stuff some drugs in the fob they don't catch that.

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75th Anniversary (2016) WK2 Trail Rated Laredo in Recon Green
Occupation
Retired Navy (2004) Now, Loafer & Fly Fisher
I read that they steal your fob signal and clone it so I stupidly ordered 3 quality Faraday boxes made in Germany. 40 bucks a piece. One for my laundry room, one for the dining room counter (in case I forget to use the Laundry room one) and one for the spare fob. The stupid part is I ordered while waiting for my Jeep this way I'd be protected from day one. Well don't ya know, Jeep comes in and the fob is the size of a freakin big mac. (not that big but big) and guess what? It don't fit!
Don't know who "they" are you refer . . . the airport dudes ? As far as "stealing the signal . . . when not going thru security, a simple couple wraps of ALcoa's finest does the trick . . . or any brand of aluminum foil - shiny side out .

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I wonder if you can just program these kinda keyfobs to work with it:
?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fg%2FE1IAAOSwOqBbTDtc%2Fs-l300.jpg

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Don't know who "they" are you refer . . . the airport dudes ? As far as "stealing the signal . . . when not going thru security, a simple couple wraps of ALcoa's finest does the trick . . . or any brand of aluminum foil - shiny side out .
“They” are your common low life car thieves. “They” can get your fob signal while it’s in your house. Look it up Lou.
Also, as far as the folks in this room complaining about them being “anal” in airport security. What short memories you guys have. These people have done an excellent job in keeping us safe flying and you complain about extra bag checks? Unbelievable.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
I have smaller pouches that I keep my fobs in. They work great, and at $10 for 2? Can't complain. I have no issues with the size of the fob...

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07CTPZV6Z/
Sponsored