Sponsored

AirLift 1000 airbags in a Jeep 4xe Rubicon with no lift kit

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
will 4XE Sahara need a different one?
I think the Sahara might have slightly different size coil springs - but not certain. That may or may not require a different kit from Air Lift. Your best bet would be to measure your coil springs‘ “X” and “Y” dimensions as previously shown, then call Air Lift to get their input. Or maybe someone here with a Sahara has first-hand experience, and can chime in.
Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
The airlift 1000 kit for a stock Rubicon works for the sahara. It comes with 2 spacers. On a sport you don’t use any. On the Sahara you use one of the spacers at the top. On the Rubicon you stack both spacers on top.

The coils are the same dimensions on all trims except for the little bit of height difference based upon trim level and options, but the same bags are used for all of them.

For the 4xe, i would suggest you measure the unloaded inside height to see. I am expecting that you would want a kit in this instance that is 1” lower. (I.e. 5 x 8) compared to what was recommended for the 4xe rubicon.

If you are between sizes, they airlift recommends to go with the smaller size.

Edit: in checking their chart, i do not see a 5 x 8, so the 5 x 9 may be the only choice.

Best choice would be if you could get one of the spacers from a stock JL kit to use with the 5 x 7.

RaleighFok

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
thanks for all your input!!!!!!!!!! I am report back if I am doing this

georgesr65

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLUR, 2018 Ford Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, I had airbags on my 2020 rubi, and will be putting them back on my 4Xe When I get it.

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I got the 60920 kit and got the Jeep up on jackstands and everything ready to go, checked out how I wanted to run the lines......and as I was about to get to it I realized the kit was missing the airline spring clamps......:mad: ........So looks like I won't be doing the install today.

Sponsored

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JKURD AEV JL370; 2014 GC Overland Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
Update: Installed Air Lift 1000 kit 60920 this weekend without too much drama.

Installation instructions contained this handy chart with slightly different bag measurements than the one you find on Air Lift’s website:

3CE99BD4-4B85-4555-8D62-E4F27B4FACB6.jpeg

Width and height for this kit seem great. I did have roughly 500 pounds of static weight in the Jeep at install. I used the method of placing the right front tire, and rear left tire on ramps to articulate things a bit, and open up the rear right coil spring for easier install (then reverse for other side).

Test drive shows notable improvement in reducing body roll, feels more planted on turns, and bumps are more suppressed. VERY pleased with the result.

INSTALL TIP #1: I took a Dremel tool (with 1/8” drill bit) to the spacers. Basically opened up the donut hole to be quite a bit larger than the donuts that come with it. This helped them to seat better at the bottom, and top of the spring seats.

INSTALL TIP #2: I installed the fill valves in the left side wall of the rear cargo cubby. No easy way to clamp the heat shields to the exhaust where the pipe turns the corner and ”squishes” into an oval shape. So, I used a 10 mm bolt from the heat shield under the cubby to secure the kit’s heat shield. This basically extends the OEM heat shield out a bit to cover the tubing in that area. Here are some pics:

3B1F7B25-480F-4315-B9DF-75F857016001.jpeg

3FE8C0BB-DF68-4F55-BCE7-FD9D2F229F06.jpeg

…those two zip ties will likely melt off, but I was in a hurry. I’ll check it periodically, and find a way to secure it better without zip ties when I have more time.
I’m about to tackle this. Can you please give me some more information on widening the donut hole in regards to the spring seats; I’m not sure I’m totally following what you mean there. I noticed the metal bump-stop looking things are maybe about 2-3 inches in diameter; did you make your donut hole so big that the spacer fit snugly around that little protrusion in the middle of the spring? Does that make sense, or will I understand it better when the parts come in? I had to order kit 60921 for my 2.5 inch AEV lift and it won’t be here until this week.

Jeep Wrangler JL AirLift 1000 airbags in a Jeep 4xe Rubicon with no lift kit 7A434948-C464-4562-847F-1D06F6661C4F

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I’m about to tackle this. Can you please give me some more information on widening the donut hole in regards to the spring seats; I’m not sure I’m totally following what you mean there. I noticed the metal bump-stop looking things are maybe about 2-3 inches in diameter; did you make your donut hole so big that the spacer fit snugly around that little protrusion in the middle of the spring? Does that make sense, or will I understand it better when the parts come in? I had to order kit 60921 for my 2.5 inch AEV lift and it won’t be here until this week.
Not sure if you installed these already. Hopefully I’m not too late with this answer.

What you’re describing is what I remember. And yes, I enlarged the hole on the donuts until I could get them to seat around the center protrusions. If I recall correctly, there might have been a portion of the protrusion that extended beyond the donut (protrusion height exceeds donut height). However, there is another post in this thread that says you’re supposed to use both donuts on the top for a Rubicon. I can’t recall, but I think I placed one donut on each end (top and bottom). Maybe with two donuts on that same protrusion, you’d get more height and better protection?

I think once you get in there with the parts, you’ll formulate a good solution. I don’t think it needs to be perfect, as these bags are made of a very rugged rubbery material. Good luck with the install!

Last edited:

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
Not sure if you installed these already. Hopefully I’m not too late with this answer.

What you’re describing is what I remember. And yes, I enlarged the hole on the donuts until I could get them to seat around the center protrusions. If I recall correctly, there might have been a portion of the protrusion that extended beyond the donut (protrusion height exceeds donut height). However, there is another post in this thread that says you’re supposed to use both donuts on the top for a Rubicon. I can’t recall, but I think I placed one donut on each end (top and bottom). Maybe with two donuts on that same protrusion, you’d get more height and better protection?

I think once you get in there with the parts, you’ll formulate a good solution. I don’t think it needs to be perfect, as these bags are made of a very rugged rubbery material. Good luck with the install!
Thank you, that’s exactly what I was asking. Mine are still on order. But I wanted to know how you handled those protrusions, as they will surely be pushing against the top and bottom of the bags. I know the air line goes on the top, so spacing that correctly is essential. I’ll give Airlift a call as well and clarify.

But thank you for this reply. I’m tackling these this weekend if they show up; I am towing a small RV from Denver to Moab at the end of the month for Easter Jeep Safari, so I know for certain I’ll need these bags working properly. Thanks.

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
@bobholthaus, I found the folks at Air Lift weren’t much help on the actual installation, as they said they couldn’t be sure of what might have changed between models/years. Of course, my 4xe was a new model when I installed mine.

It was sorta like that scene from Apollo 13…”You need to figure out how to fit this, into the hole for this, using nothing but that.” :LOL:

SteveFinn

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting-Gray Sport S, former TJ owner
I installed airlift bags in my 2012 Pathfinder (when Pathfinders were still a body on frame design)...they made a tremendous difference in improved driving feel when cornering. I ran the bags at 20 lbs all the time. Of course they were great for times when you needed to haul extra cargo too.

The folks in the nissanpath forum insisted that you should not use the Tee fitting as the air pressure would shift side-to-side and not give the full benefit of the stiffened springs...they said you should use 2 shrader valves even though it's less convenient to air up/down 2 bags independently. I ran 2 valves... but some other folks used the tee then changed to 2 valves
Installed the airbags today. Over all worked well and followed the recommendations from Jeeperz Kreeperz and widened the holes in the spacers for a better fit. Used the T-Connector for the air lines and found a sweet spot for the infill valve just beside the license plate. Over all a 2 hour job. Did a first test with my 120 lbs RTT on top and BIG difference. Highly recommended.

Jeep Wrangler JL AirLift 1000 airbags in a Jeep 4xe Rubicon with no lift kit 7A434948-C464-4562-847F-1D06F6661C4F

I installed airlift bags in my 2012 Pathfinder (when Pathfinders were still a body on frame design)...they made a tremendous difference in improved driving feel when cornering. I ran the bags at 20 lbs all the time. Of course they were great for times when you needed to haul extra cargo too.

The folks in the nissanpath forum insisted that you should not use the Tee fitting as the air pressure would shift side-to-side and not give the full benefit of the stiffened springs...they said you should use 2 shrader valves even though it's less convenient to air up/down 2 bags independently. I ran 2 valves... but some other folks used the tee then changed to 2 valve setup

Sponsored

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
@bobholthaus, I found the folks at Air Lift weren’t much help on the actual installation, as they said they couldn’t be sure of what might have changed between models/years. Of course, my 4xe was a new model when I installed mine.

It was sorta like that scene from Apollo 13…”You need to figure out how to fit this, into the hole for this, using nothing but that.” :LOL:

Btw, eTrailer.com, which is a St. Louis company, has amazing tech support on most of the items they sell, Airlift being one of them. They make videos on almost every piece they sell. I have a contact there that is really good; I’ll run it by him as well, and he’ll call down to their install guys and ask them. I appreciate it. I had these on my JK for 10 years with no issues… I wish I could remember where my pucks were on that rig. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
So I got mine installed. I ended up not using any pucks; hopefully I won’t regret that. The reason being is the following (I learned a number of things in the owners manual):

5AD65B52-AE87-4D34-ADC7-D8E4CE0CB251.jpeg

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
Next learning lesson (how to measure):

F84E6834-5071-4B06-98D6-80AF554B45D0.jpeg

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
Big lesson here on pitch, and being able to inflate to 50 psi if your pitch is less than 1”:

0A8CC2B6-A40A-4AAF-8EB4-48E2005BAD18.jpeg
Sponsored