Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
How do you power your portable Viair if you use it at home? Do you still use your Jeep? (With the engine running inside a garage it does not seem such a good idea...) Or do you use any other (plugged-in) power source?
I run my SmittyBuilt from the 12V jeep battery, with the engine off. It doesn't seem to pull that much electricity from the battery.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
How do you power your portable Viair if you use it at home? Do you still use your Jeep? (With the engine running inside a garage it does not seem such a good idea...) Or do you use any other (plugged-in) power source?
Jeep battery. My Jeep does not fit in the garage.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I love airing down. It makes a huge difference for ride quality even on small rutty dirt roads. Of course it all depends on how long I will be on the dirt road, but I would say 9/10 times I air down. I also use the Smitty Bilt and the Jaco Rapid deflate. Perfect solutions.

Sponsored

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
Takes about 40-45 sec to air up a 37" from 6-8psi to 28-30

20201010_141059.jpg

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S, Bright White, Freedom Pkg
SuperFlow MV-9012 $154

I liked it over the Smittybuilt one due to ability to use a different hose if I want to or if it breaks.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I'm only coming up to 2 months off-roading so take my opinion as you will...

I haven't aired down once since I'm not rock crawling. Still at 37psi.

It doesn't mean I'm not hitting some really intense, rocky uphills at 20% and 3 miles long etc... The kind if I had no seat belt I'd have brain damage and fly out the passenger window... But instead of just airing down from the start when I bought the jeep - I decided to see what I can do as it is.

There are definitely a few instances lower pressure would have helped - but still didn't need it.

I would say some of the climbs I've done are more than moderate... Terrain just plays a huge part...

Regardless I did buy a Viair 300 and some auto deflators - which I do not take with me and haven't used yet... I'm sure I will one day. My rides are bumpy and jittery as hell!

Good luck!
Airing down is as much about ride quality as improving traction. Run that same 3 mile hill that would have given you brain damage and sent you out the window at 15 psi and your compressor and deflators will never leave your Jeep again (ours don’t). More than 90% of the desert off roading we’ve done (at least 2k miles in the dirt), has been done in 2wd. Traction was never an issue. A rutted wash at speed on 36psi? My back hurts just thinking about that.
Sponsored