Airbags with Teraflex levelling kit?

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Hi all, I have the Teraflex levelling kit (spacers) on my Rubicon and would like to install Airlift airbags in the rear to help when loaded heavy.
The problem is with the spacer above the rear coil spring there is a bolt protruding straight down through the hole where the airline is supposed to run. Has anybody run into similar issues with airbag installation and is so, what was the resolution?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Vinman

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Just to update this if others run into the same problem.
I simply removed the bolt that fastens the Teraflex spacers in place and ran the airline through the hole as per Airlift’s instructions.
After a bit of testing I came to the conclusion spring pressure alone was adequate enough to hold the spacers in place without the bolt.

rdrjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport-S
Just to update this if others run into the same problem.
I simply removed the bolt that fastens the Teraflex spacers in place and ran the airline through the hole as per Airlift’s instructions.
After a bit of testing I came to the conclusion spring pressure alone was adequate enough to hold the spacers in place without the bolt.
Do you have any pictures of your set up and tips on the install? I have the exact same situation so your post was very timely.

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Why would you not just get a set of heavier springs..........change them out, when your planning a trip with added weight. Those airlift bag do not ride very well and will eventually leak.

swflfireguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Retired Fireman
Vehicle Showcase
^^ I would respectfully disagree with you on the leak possibilities. I've run AirLift bags in 3 coil sprung trucks/jeeps and have had zero issues over the years. the bags are quite durable and hold up over time very well. As for changing in heavier springs when the load is going to be put on, that is a ton of work, IMHO, when the bags will work perfectly well.
the bags in my JL work very well, it's just a good backup plan when needed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Vinman

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Do you have any pictures of your set up and tips on the install? I have the exact same situation so your post was very timely.
I don’t have current pics but my advice on the install would be to not do it the way I did. I actually removed the coil springs in order to remove the top bolt holding the Teraflex spacer in but in hind sight it would have been easier to leave the spring in place, remove the bolt and install the bags as per Airlifts instructions.

To help with the bag install, lift the Jeep, place jackstands under the frame, remove the lower shock bolts and let the axle drop as much as possible.

rdrjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport-S
I don’t have current pics but my advice on the install would be to not do it the way I did. I actually removed the coil springs in order to remove the top bolt holding the Teraflex spacer in but in hind sight it would have been easier to leave the spring in place, remove the bolt and install the bags as per Airlifts instructions.

To help with the bag install, lift the Jeep, place jackstands under the frame, remove the lower shock bolts and let the axle drop as much as possible.
Thanks for the tips! where did you mount the schrader valve?

OP
OP
Vinman

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Thanks for the tips! where did you mount the schrader valve?
I mounted it temporarily inside the rear cubby storage. I already have the Airlift compressor and gauge setup from a previous truck and will eventually install it with the valve controller and gauge around the dash area to allow on the fly monitoring and adjustments.
Sponsored