Sponsored

Airbag functionality after removing passenger seat to sleep in my 2-door Wrangler

broox

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.broox.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 BMW M4, 2020 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm preparing for an off-roading / camping trip where I'll be the only person in my 2-door Rubicon. Since I'll be alone, I thought I'd simply remove the passenger seat and build a platform so that I could comfortably sleep inside the Jeep.

After starting the Jeep back up without the passenger seat, I was presented with a "Service Airbag System" message and then have an airbag light that stays on.

Does anyone know if this will disable the entire SRS airbag system? Or is it just warning me that there is some airbag that may not function properly? I'd really love to be able to sleep on this platform, but would also love to have the rest of the airbags functional as I'd be driving ~1,000 miles round trip with this setup.

Here's a couple photos of the platform...

Jeep Wrangler JL Airbag functionality after removing passenger seat to sleep in my 2-door Wrangler 2-Door Wrangler Platform Bed

Jeep Wrangler JL Airbag functionality after removing passenger seat to sleep in my 2-door Wrangler Testing the 2-Door platform bed
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I'm preparing for an off-roading / camping trip where I'll be the only person in my 2-door Rubicon. Since I'll be alone, I thought I'd simply remove the passenger seat and build a platform so that I could comfortably sleep inside the Jeep.

After starting the Jeep back up without the passenger seat, I was presented with a "Service Airbag System" message and then have an airbag light that stays on.

Does anyone know if this will disable the entire SRS airbag system? Or is it just warning me that there is some airbag that may not function properly? I'd really love to be able to sleep on this platform, but would also love to have the rest of the airbags functional as I'd be driving ~1,000 miles round trip with this setup.

Jeep Wrangler JL Airbag functionality after removing passenger seat to sleep in my 2-door Wrangler Testing the 2-Door platform bed

It won't disable the whole system.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

Nice setup for sure.

It wouldn't be too hard to make a jumper to turn the light out I don't imagine. Just need to find the pinouts of the connector.

In saying that, like Chevy said, it won't disable the entire system.

OP
OP
broox

broox

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.broox.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 BMW M4, 2020 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
i talked to a body shop friend who's taken plenty of SRS classes tonight. he said that if that SRS light is on, the system is deactivated.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
If it were me, I'd get the wiring diagrams. There's probably a resistor in the seat that signals to the SRS module, so it can differentiate between various states. There may also be a weight sensor in the seat that's a variable resistor. I would figure out what the expected resistance values are on which pins for an empty passenger seat configuration. Then I'd buy a connector and make my own plug that would plug into the seat harness to simulate an empty passenger seat.

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
i talked to a body shop friend who's taken plenty of SRS classes tonight. he said that if that SRS light is on, the system is deactivated.
If the module detects a failure is only with the passenger seat, the drivers airbag will still work. The CAN bus failure bits available are much more sophisticated than the older discreet only systems. If the passenger side weight sensor, seat belt sensor, or any other passenger specific code is stored, the drivers side logic will still work. The light on the dash is generic. The light itself doesn't turn anything off. If the fault was with the module itself, the CAN bus, or a power input then it would affect the whole system.

It would be very silly for any MFG to turn off the drivers airbag if the passenger weight sensor failed or the passenger tensioner sensor failed. Your body shop friend should know this. There's nothing special with the Airbags. The module is smart enough to disable only what's affected. It will want everything that can work, work. It's not an all or nothing system. That logic died decades ago.

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Assuming you have your phone connected via Bluetooth / CarPlay, removing the front passenger seat automatically causes the front passenger airbag to function in tandem with your phone’s sleep alarm settings. If you don’t wake up after hitting the third snooze, the Jeep automatically and violently deploys the front passenger airbag and repeatedly honks your horn to wake you up! :LOL:

Jeep Wrangler JL Airbag functionality after removing passenger seat to sleep in my 2-door Wrangler 1680348286926

“Wake up, damnit! Honk, honk, honk, honk, honk, honk!”

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Assuming you have your phone connected via Bluetooth / CarPlay, removing the front passenger seat automatically causes the front passenger airbag to function in tandem with your phone’s sleep alarm settings. If you don’t wake up after hitting the third snooze, the Jeep automatically and violently deploys the front passenger airbag and repeatedly honks your horn to wake you up! :LOL:
Yes!! Sounds like something Toyota would do. Lol

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer

Jeep Wrangler JL Airbag functionality after removing passenger seat to sleep in my 2-door Wrangler 1680357780989

Jeep Wrangler JL Airbag functionality after removing passenger seat to sleep in my 2-door Wrangler 1680357780989
I never put down any sleeping table. In fact I used the footwell on the pass side for soft stuff, like clothes other things and then laid out my sleeping bag as my mattress and used my old Vietnam Poncho liner as my cover. Of course I let my engine run all night for its AC/Heat and Sirrus radio.

To my left behind the drivers seat was my toolbox with spare ujoints and various tools. I suggest if you do this often. make up a socket set of the sizes around on your jeep in duplicate. I already had OBA and it would power a 3/8th air wrench.

Then Food water, cooking pot, coffee pot and hygiene items (soap, toothbrush etc)

There is other stuff such as gun, knife etc.

Don't forget and short extension on the exhaust pipe to exit outside the body. I made my own, and cut the exit opening at a 45 angle facing UP. This keeps the exhaust from going down and hitting cold ground which can cause pooling. Going up out of the 45 angle it will dissipate into the air.

The human adult body gives off about 1 quart of moisture over night. To deal with that you need to open windows opposite of each other. I found the windows down and inch or 2 as long as the AC/Heat was on the interior would not get wet overnight.

Yes done a LOT of this and wife never came with me, I was gone a week to almost a month at a time and I went OFTEN...
Sponsored