AlanD

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nacho Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Side (curtain) airbags? I traded in a 2016 Camaro Convertible. Pretty much same as the Jeep Airbag deployed from outboard side of the front seat. You had to have high quality seat covers designed to allow deployment in case of accident. Same as a Jeep.
Jeep Wrangler JL Airbag didn’t deploy. Accident with rollover IMG_20181204_154332
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Guys just give it a freaking rest. The JL Wrangler doesn't have side curtain airbags. FCA cheap out and we don't have that modern piece of protection. It sucks. period.

Side curtain airbags will protect you immensely in case of a shit show. Shit shows happen, it is a lottery. If you "survived" in the 60s, 70s or whatever inside crappy cars it is because you never got unlucky. Accidents are not the norm, we aren't driving around crashing into everything, but it CAN happen, and dying because of the lack of a side curtain airbag nowadays is just plain dumb. People are driving faster and there are a lot of more cars on the road.

So I wish we could just accept the fact that it sucks that we didn't get side curtain airbags and move on. The Wrangler is still a relatively safe vehicle, but it could be even safer, and FCA simply does not have an excuse other than cost savings $$$$$ for not installing proper safety features. And no airbags in the backseat? I mean come on.... why are we even excusing these a$$holes, they clearly don't give a damn about your kids getting injured back there. And a Wrangler is not a motorcycle, so don't be like "oh I didn't buy a Jeep for it to be safe blah blah blah".

Now that we are aware that:
1) we don't have side curtain airbags or backseat airbags
2) FCA did it to save costs and that just sucks
3) A Wrangler is NOT a "death trap". Statistically it has shown to be as safe as any other modern vehicle out there. But imagine how much safer it would be if we had standard tech.

Those are just facts. Let's move on. We still chose the Wrangler knowing that. OP survived this crash and so did I in my 2018 JL.