Sponsored

LeD

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stin-gray Sport S
Correct, in my comment it never says it has curtains, again, reading is fundamental, seems you’re lacking in that department. In the first comment? Sure, I was merely pointing out that it does have SABs and that it is a federal mandate and not once did I try to “walk back” my comments, “dude”. Oh well.

It also just seems you’re here to troll and not to really bring anything to any conversation, so good luck to you.
Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
My apologies, folks. I read some incorrect information while researching this. Wranglers do NOT have SCAs; they have SABs, as correctly noted.

The regulation is not made up. “FMVSS No. 226, vehicle manufacturers will avail themselves of the side curtain air bag technologies that are already being installed in vehicles to meet FMVSS No. 214, ‘Side impact protection.’“ The quote is from federalregister.gov - thus my misunderstanding. I do not know how much of the side window is protected; many SAB technologies cover most, if not the entire side window, up to head level. I don’t know if the Wrangler does or not. Also, there are no air bags for the back seat, also correctly noted.

Again, I apologize for my incorrect statement, and regret any turmoil it caused. Peace.

Last edited:

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
And that is exactly why I included the quote - because it IS incorrect, and it’s the source of my misunderstanding. Apparently I didn’t make that clear enough.

goose77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.toolsinaction.com
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR, , 84 CJ7 , 22 TREMOR, 23 Model Y
Occupation
Pan Handler
Vehicle Showcase
My wife and I are ok. Minor injuries it’s seems so far. Wondering though, should my passenger airbag gone off? I was driving and mine did.

We were going straight westbound and the other car was going eastbound and turned in front of us. I swerved to try to avoid but they hit my back end flipping us a couple of times.

btw the windshield didn’t crack.

View attachment 344190

View attachment 344191

View attachment 344192

View attachment 344193

View attachment 344194

View attachment 344195
Damn I go through that same intersection a few times a week! I always worry about getting hit there. Good thing you guys were ok.

DigitalDiem

First Name
Capn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Here's an interesting Wrangle JL side impact video

So I wonder how convertibles get the "mandated" side curtain airbags?;)

Sponsored

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Here's an interesting Wrangle JL side impact video

So I wonder how convertibles get the "mandated" side curtain airbags?;)
And again - the windshield is intact!

Damn that rear passenger is gonna be hurting. They should have SABs there too - you can really tell the difference they make.

DigitalDiem

First Name
Capn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
And again - the windshield is intact!

Damn that rear passenger is gonna be hurting. They should have SABs there too - you can really tell the difference they make.
Yeah I agree, but the point is the Side impact airbag extends all the way up protecting the drivers head...no need for "Side Curtain Airbags" and I still wonder about all of the convertibles out there;) the trolls arguing the Bronco is somehow better...whatever...I've owned (1)Ford in my 60yrs of life and it will never happen again.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
After reading this thread and doing some research, I have learned a lot about this topic.

I do not understand the criticism towards Jeep for not having side curtain airbags in the Wranglers. The side impact air bags that Jeep installs in the JLs are just as effective, from what I’ve read. They cover the head and torso. Not having a set for the back seat IS problematic though.

Can anyone verify that the Jeep SABs are just as effective as the standard SCABs? Thanks.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
After reading this thread and doing some research, I have learned a lot about this topic.

I do not understand the criticism towards Jeep for not having side curtain airbags in the Wranglers. The side impact air bags that Jeep installs in the JLs are just as effective, from what I’ve read. They cover the head and torso. Not having a set for the back seat IS problematic though.

Can anyone verify that the Jeep SABs are just as effective as the standard SCABs? Thanks.
No, they are not. I can’t imagine what you might have read that gives you the impression of equal effectiveness. Google “side air bag vs side curtain air bag”. Spend 20 minutes reading and see if you still believe they are just as effective.

Cliff notes: Australian research has determined that curtain airbags reduce fatality by as much as 34%.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
No, they are not. I can’t imagine what you might have read that gives you the impression of equal effectiveness. Google “side air bag vs side curtain air bag”. Spend 20 minutes reading and see if you still believe they are just as effective.

Cliff notes: Australian research has determined that curtain airbags reduce fatality by as much as 34%.
Good copy; will do. Thanks.

NMPirate

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon
Occupation
King Shit of Turd Island
WOW! I wonder how I ever survived my childhood. I used to ride in the very back of my mothers Vista Cruiser station wagon without a seat belt or any type of restraint. Except for the fly swatter that mom had to keep my brother and I out of the front seat! We would have the GI Joes and Hot Wheels in the big space in the back anytime we left the house. The closest thing we had to an airbag was an unopened bag of chips. What a great way to grow up!! :like:
Sponsored