Advertisement

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Oh, wow. I'm glad you and your wife are OK. That must have been quite frightening.

Advertisement

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Damn. Glad you guys are ok. That looks pretty horrific :crying: You're going to be awfully sore, so take care of each other and watch for any traumatic symptoms:like:

Strommen95

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito Sport S JLU
That sucks. Glad you're okay and hope insurance is easy to deal with.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport (JL) 3.6L V6 Manual 2 door
Occupation
Senior Apple Systems Engineer
I think I'd report the failure of the bag to deploy to NHTSA
I had an accident that resulted in my Jeep and ther other vehicle getting totaled.

We all walked away. Their airbags deployed. My airbags did not deploy.

https://donmontalvo.com/2020/05/17/dammit/

In my case, the oncoming car grazed my front bumper and sent me in a 360 spin, where I ended up pointing in the same direction that I was heading in. The other car landed in a ditch.

The shop hired a professional inspector, who determined the frame was bent ("diamond"), and the "tub" was bent as well, causing my insurance company to call it a total loss.

For more details of my accident:

https://donmontalvo.com/2020/05/22/looking-back-at-sunday/

PS, I never reported the airbags not depoloying because the impact wasn't direct, rather a graze, and I was center mass in the spinning Jeep...not sure if the airbags should have deployed or not.

PS#2, I'm in the process of modifying the Jeep Sport S that replaced the Sport.

Last edited:

baron95

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Sorry for your mishap - the Jeep can be replaced, glad you and your wife are ok.

Having said that, I have an issue with your accident being promoted on the first page of the forum with the tag line " JL Wrangler Rollover Accident Once Again Proves More Worthy Than Crash Ratings

This is absurd!!!

You bumped into a very small sedan. The sedan has minor damage and no injuries. The JL rolled over and is totalled. You and your wife had injuries (minor luckily). If anything this proves the opposite - that the JL is less safe than other vehicles.

The fact that the JL (a rollover prone vehicle) does not have curtain airbags in this day and age is asinine!!! Notice how the new Bronco, which also has removable roof, has standard curtain airbags in every single version.

The forum trying to spin this accident as a positive is beyond comprehension!!! Do JL owners have such low standards?

gqgambler

First Name
S
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bright White Moab
Glad to hear everyone is OK. Jeep is totaled so start shopping for a new one. Don't worry about the air bags. The activation of an air bag in a crash is dependent on several important factors including: the characteristics of the crash (e.g., speed, other vehicles involved, impact direction); the individual vehicle air bag system's design strategy; and the crash sensor locations. Air bags are not intended to deploy in all crashes. There may be circumstances when an air bag does not deploy. If you look at your photos there doesn't appear to be significant damage to the front passenger side or the passenger side. Most damage is in the rear and minimal front driver side damage. Air bags are designed to deploy with impact from their primary direction, so a frontal air bag would deploy in a front end collision, a side air bag with a side impact. There are no rear air bags and that was the initial point of impact. I suspect yours deployed secondarily on the rollover when there was impact on the driver's front (likely with the ground) as seen by the damage.

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Glad you guys are alright. I do have a few questions about the rear seat area. How did it hold up? Were the rear roll bars compressed or caved in at all?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 08 JKUR, 15 Ford Transit 350, 04 WJ 4.7, 17 Renegade, 99 Merc E430 S
Vehicle Showcase
First, and most importantly, glad you are not more seriously injured!

2nd....Can I have your windshield?

Just kidding. My 3rd one is holding up much better/longer than the first two.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
I rolled a 2011 Forester and the driver's airbag didn't deploy. The side bags did however. Could be that the passenger side didn't register enough force to deploy.

20200714_161053.jpg
20160324_175644.jpg
20160324_175626.jpg
20160324_175656.jpg

WreckEm711

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
Glad you guys are alright. I do have a few questions about the rear seat area. How did it hold up? Were the rear roll bars compressed or caved in at all?
Curious about this as well. Glad y'all live to Jeep (or Bronco:lipssealed:) another day!

Advertisement

Advertisement