Sponsored

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
Well, I'm starting to second-guess my choice of valve location. We got a couple of warm(er) days last week and some rain to follow. I was having fun driving through some puddles, and now...

IMG_20190128_091415.jpg

Well, I'll need to replace those ports with some stainless hardware and remember to protect them next winter.

tmcarr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU S24
Occupation
CIO
Just finished installing P/N 60829 on 2018 JL 3.6 Sport Unlimited. Fitment was unremarkable and installation was super easy. JL squatted 1.5" with the Jayco Hummingbird 16MRB attached. I am hoping to level her back out with these bags in hopes that handling and headlight aim will be back to close to normal.
Cheers.

IMG_4779.jpg

CDP2307

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUS
@ToolMan514 and @tmcarr: what is your long time experience with the Air Lift kit? Any issue so far? Would you do the same or would you recommend using another system?

I'm asking since I want to eliminate the sag when having the RTT and kitchen in the back.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
@ToolMan514 and @tmcarr: what is your long time experience with the Air Lift kit? Any issue so far? Would you do the same or would you recommend using another system?

I'm asking since I want to eliminate the sag when having the RTT and kitchen in the back.
They work great. They do exactly what they say they'll do -- additional load levelling capacity. I've had a couple of issues though. First, the hardware that came with it (bolts and washers) all rusted out in less than a year. Air Lift was great about it and sent me a replacement kit. Second, I blew one of the bags on a long trip. I believe the bag got pinched under some load and it broke along the seem. This might have been under warranty, but I had no time for that, so I had to replace it and ended up replacing both bags. I was able to change them while camping in Pennsylvania.

Long-term, I'm concerned that it will happen again, but only because I do some hard flexing when off roading. Which is to say, as good as they are at load-levelling, that doesn't make them great under full compression.

My reality is that I could not pull my camp trailer without them, and they work well for that application. Photo of my campground swap below!

IMG_20190720_103906 (1).jpg

Sponsored

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
If you are considering air bag suspension helpers for levelling when pulling a trailer you might want to watch this video from Fastway Trailers.

Weight distribution hitches with anti-sway might be the way to go. If you go with the WD equipment you may need to also strengthen the hitch receiver to handle the fore/aft torque from the hitch.

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
what is your long time experience with the Air Lift kit? Any issue so far? Would you do the same or would you recommend using another system?

I’ve had the Air Lift air bag kit in for more than a year, and it’s been flawless for me. I installed it for camping. I found that with roof rack, RTT, fridge, slide, GGB Basket, Trailgater, gear, food, beer, I was pushing 1,200 pounds of cargo. But even at half that weight, the rear springs were really sagging. Add in my wife and I (she’s actually weightless, as you can imagine), and we exceed the GVWR of the Jeep. No towing for me.

Here’s a post I wrote on the installation and my experience, along with a pic showing the rig fully loaded: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/measurements-for-stock-sahara-rear-coil-springs-for-air-lift-1000-fitment.13958/#post-357768

7D018067-752E-4AFB-A4A7-9CD45802E692.jpeg
B24A6E0A-9A8D-4C76-BE57-A507FE302D0A.jpeg

Last edited:

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I put the valves in the rear storage box at the top near the 2 rear corners. they do not get in the way of anything in that under floor storage, and they are protected from the elements. Plus when i swap bumpers I will not have to move them.

Gogged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I guess you couldn’t hear our eyes rolling. :cwl:

Sorry, I could resist that bit of snark...

Wrangler is a pretty terrible tow vehicle. Wrong suspension and wrong wheelbase.

I haven’t looked at the JL manual, but JK max tongue weight was only 350lbs... it’s not a pickup truck with a class IV hitch.

Also, an improved “stance” via airbags is probably not gonna work out so well off-road.

My $0.02 is to not go down this road with a Wrangler. If you intend to tow more than it’s rated to tow, you’re inviting trouble (trouble for which insurance isn’t gonna help you).
I have towed a 3k lb trailer w 350 lb tongue weight to Moab and back from Virginia. I never had any complaints about stability with my Casita trailer. I used an Anderson weight distributing hitch to help w the tongue weight, but frankly it was a pain in the butt. The underpowered V6 was actually the issue towing w 37" tires and armor. As a result of that, and hating the Anderson hitch, I downsized to a Scamp trailer that is only 13' long and 1200 lbs. The Airlift springs will help w the 150 lb tongue weight but more so w gear and a bunch of tools that cause just as much sagging. Won't have any issues now..

Sponsored

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
Just installed mine. Haven't tried it under load yet. Install was pretty easy. I would stress to do what another member suggested and attach the air line to the bag before the bag inflates fully in the spring. I let the first bag self inflate in the spring and it was a pain to get the hose on. The second was much easier attaching while bag was mostly deflated.

I also took another members advice and ran the valves into the rear cargo storage compartment. It's plastic so easy to drill, easy to access for install and keeps them out of the elements.

Eliana-JLU

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Wrangler Sport S
Has anyone installed these bags with the air lift wireless one ez mount compressor unit? I’m having a hell of a time trying to figure out where I can successfully mount this to the frame of my 19 JLU Sport...

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
Has anyone installed these bags with the air lift wireless one ez mount compressor unit? I’m having a hell of a time trying to figure out where I can successfully mount this to the frame of my 19 JLU Sport...
I plan on installing this one, but not on the frame. Since I live on a dirt road and when in the mountains drive through a lot of water I plan on mounting it somewhere in the engine compartment to keep it as dry as possible. Not exactly sure where yet, but I should have it figured it out in a few months when it’s warmer here in Wyoming.
C029873F-4B8C-4205-8C34-7E95AA7412B8.png

Eliana-JLU

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Wrangler Sport S
I plan on installing this one, but not on the frame. Since I live on a dirt road and when in the mountains drive through a lot of water I plan on mounting it somewhere in the engine compartment to keep it as dry as possible. Not exactly sure where yet, but I should have it figured it out in a few months when it’s warmer here in Wyoming.
C029873F-4B8C-4205-8C34-7E95AA7412B8.png
I was looking at installing there but they specifically mention to keep away from heat so I thought under the hood would be a bad option...

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
I was looking at installing there but they specifically mention to keep away from heat so I thought under the hood would be a bad option...
Ideally they want everything in the center of the vehicle, but not too many places to do that without putting it under the Jeep. To keep everything 6” from heat I believe I can do that without any problems mounting it inside the engine compartment. Finding a place to mount it I believe is going to be the hard part. We’ll see.
A738AF93-D890-4F82-B35C-B736B1E7D24F.jpeg
Sponsored