Sponsored

Air down question for 2021 stock JLU WILLYS SPORT

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Willys Sport 4x4
Hi I am new to 4x4 and my immediate intent is to cruise local beaches without getting stuck. I am researching and finding that airing down is the number one recommendation. With that in mind, I am running with stock rims and tires, Firestone Destination LT255/75R17 111/108Q. I have installed the Arb single cylinder on board compressor and have their quick air down deflator too. What is the best/safest psi I can air down to without risk of unseating the bead? There are no dunes or anything of that nature, strictly flat with either wet or dry sand. Thanks in advance, hoping to avoid trouble with proper planning. Normal psi is 36.

Jeep Wrangler JL Air down question for 2021 stock JLU WILLYS SPORT IMG_20210907_162130225_HDR
Sponsored

kermitjewel

Threads
Reaction score
anywhere, but always flipping off moderators
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito,
i went to christmas valley sand dunes and had no issues at 24 psi, (stock premium rims and ko2's on a rubicon)
also.....
i regularly go to the beach nearby and never air down there at all. but other than the entryway most of the sand nearby is packed.
also....
set of traction mats would also be advisable to be carried just in case, even just to help others that might get stuck while you're nearby

20210905_151706.jpg

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
Stock AT's here. Went down to between 18 and 15 when on the trails in CO. last month. For me, I will probably only go down to 12-13 before I might get a bit skittish. You will get many answers I am afraid. Watch some videos of sand specific wheeling and see what others are doing. GL!

OP
OP
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i went to christmas valley sand dunes and had no issues at 24 psi, (stock premium rims and ko2's on a rubicon)
also.....
i regularly go to the beach nearby and never air down there at all. but other than the entryway most of the sand nearby is packed.
also....
set of traction mats would also be advisable to be carried just in case, even just to help others that might get stuck while you're nearby

Jeep Wrangler JL Air down question for 2021 stock JLU WILLYS SPORT 20210905_151706
Thank you very much for advice. I do have have 4 traction boards and a shovel in case I "get in to deep".

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
also.....
also....

Jeep Wrangler JL Air down question for 2021 stock JLU WILLYS SPORT 20210905_151706
I second the traction mat comment! For me, in sand - I would go lower as well. But as mentioned I guess it would be determined by the type/consistency of sand.

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stock AT's here. Went down to between 18 and 15 when on the trails in CO. last month. For me, I will probably only go down to 12-13 before I might get a bit skittish. You will get many answers I am afraid. Watch some videos of sand specific wheeling and see what others are doing. GL!
Appreciate your response, I'll likely start around 18 (1/2 normal), and if I do end up in trouble guess I can always dump a little more after the fact if it comes to that, hopefully won't have to find out.

OP
OP
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
also.....
also....

And nice Jeep!

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I’d have no problem at all running 15 psi. I run 12-15 psi in rocks without beadlocks and I’ve never had an issue losing bead. If you’re just cruising the beach you could get away with less if you find it necessary

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
I did 20 on trails in Colorado but on the sand at Lake McConaughy in Nebraska I went down to 18. Had no problems in 4 hi but it was deep sand.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
18psi is a good start. I’ve found that 10psi is pushing it in the rocks, as you will get air burping out when there is a rock pushing on the sidewall. Sand you can go as low as 8psi in my experience, but short of very soft sugar sand you shouldn’t need to go that low.

Sponsored

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Everybody has talked about how low you can and should go, but nobody has mentioned the other side of the coin: How long is it going to take you to air back up? If you don't actually need that low of a pressure, the less you air down, the more time you save at the end of the ride.

My VIAIR system is rated 'for up to 37" tires,' and is supposedly a lot more of a setup than I would actually need on the stock 32" Willys tires, but I found it struggled to get them aired back up. It really struggles with my 35s.

My point is that even on the stock tires, I quickly forgot about how low I COULD go, and started focusing on how low I HAD to go to get a good result. What pressure rides well? What pressure offers good traction on these surfaces?

I have my quick deflators set to 20 psi. I sometimes go down to 15.

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Everybody has talked about how low you can and should go, but nobody has mentioned the other side of the coin: How long is it going to take you to air back up? If you don't actually need that low of a pressure, the less you air down, the more time you save at the end of the ride.

My VIAIR system is rated 'for up to 37" tires,' and is supposedly a lot more of a setup than I would actually need on the stock 32" Willys tires, but I found it struggled to get them aired back up. It really struggles with my 35s.

My point is that even on the stock tires, I quickly forgot about how low I COULD go, and started focusing on how low I HAD to go to get a good result. What pressure rides well? What pressure offers good traction on these surfaces?

I have my quick deflators set to 20 psi. I sometimes go down to 15.
Good point!
I guess that those of us who have aired down before know the time issues of airing back up. I/we usually use this time (about 45 minutes if I remember correctly for me) to wind down, BS about the trip, grab a snack, look over the vehicles, etc. Since I air down FAR ENOUGH not to feel comfortable DRIVING to the nearest gas station to complete this process only about 3-4x per year, I too have a SLOOOW compressor for airing back up.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Good point!
I guess that those of us who have aired down before know the time issues of airing back up. I/we usually use this time (about 45 minutes if I remember correctly for me) to wind down, BS about the trip, grab a snack, look over the vehicles, etc. Since I air down FAR ENOUGH not to feel comfortable DRIVING to the nearest gas station to complete this process only about 3-4x per year, I too have a SLOOOW compressor for airing back up.
Your response seems a little defensive, and I want to be clear that I wasn't attacking anybody. I was just throwing the other side of the coin into the discussion.

You bring up the interesting point that perspective could really change one's perception of airing up here. Chilling out for a few at the end of a trip with friends sounds pleasant. It doesn't matter so much how long it takes if you're having fun.

When I'm airing up, it's just something I need to get through so I can get on with my day. Usually I stayed out too long, and I need to get back to town before all the stores close, because I need groceries. I would be a good candidate for one of those CO2 tanks, actually. Air up in 20 seconds or whatever. That would be my speed, but the east coast doesn't seem to be a friendly place to get a CO2 tank refilled.

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your response seems a little defensive, and I want to be clear that I wasn't attacking anybody. I was just throwing the other side of the coin into the discussion.
Not at all!!! That is why I started out my comment with "Good Point". It was not sarcasm. This is one of the downfalls of not being able to hear speech and intent online. You brought up a point no one else broached.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur

You bring up the interesting point that perspective could really change one's perception of airing up here. Chilling out for a few at the end of a trip with friends sounds pleasant. It doesn't matter so much how long it takes if you're having fun.

When I'm airing up, it's just something I need to get through so I can get on with my day. Usually I stayed out too long, and I need to get back to town before all the stores close, because I need groceries. I would be a good candidate for one of those CO2 tanks, actually. Air up in 20 seconds or whatever. That would be my speed, but the east coast doesn't seem to be a friendly place to get a CO2 tank refilled.
Any welding gas shop is a good place for CO2 fill ups. I agree completely with your perspective, depending on the situation. If I’m out to run a trail that is mild to moderate and only a few hours, I’ll only go down to 20-22psi. That’s enough to soften the ride, but high enough I have no worries about driving on the street back to a gas station if I don’t feel like pulling out my compressor. We also run the bigger of the 2 compressors smittybilt sells, so each tire is under 2 minutes. If we are in Moab for the week, I’ll go down to 17-18 cold, even driving back to town on the freeway is fine as the tires heat up and psi goes up to 20. Snow wheeling or soft sand I’ll go all the way down to 10psi. Long and challenging trail like the rubicon or the dusy, probably 12psi. That’s the reason I don’t carry my auto-deflators anymore and use my arb core removal tool, I’m all over the place with situation psi.
Sponsored