Air conditioning on 2020 4cyl turbo unlimited JL

tlo154

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Does anyone experience ac going hot when slowing down from hiway speed and feeling the outside humidity inside the vehicle and then after a short time it recovers?
Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Are you using auto-climate control?

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
I'm happily experiencing nothing but excellent cooling out of my AC in my JL. I have mine on recirculate and temp (on auto) at 66. It's been handling the unusually hot weather with ease.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone experience ac going hot when slowing down from hiway speed and feeling the outside humidity inside the vehicle and then after a short time it recovers?
What you are feeling is FCAs lovely "fresh air" dump that comes in the passenger foot well. I have a very well documented thread from back in 2018 about this on the forum. It sucks and the best way to mitigate it is when you feel that muggy air start to come in hit the recirc button twice and it will stop. Either that or close the recirc and unplug the harness behind the glove box to keep it that way.
In their infinite wisdom they designed the recirc door to partially open every 20 or 30 mins or so where outside air comes in unfiltered and un-HVAC'd and in the summer the air is humid and muggy and that is what you are feeling.
In the winter it is less pronounced but you will get a cold rush come in.

OP
OP

tlo154

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Thanks for your detailed explanation. That is exactly what my wife is experiencing in the passenger seat. I will consider all your suggestions and figure out which solution works for me.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
No. Just cold air, constantly, irrespective if Recirc is On or Off.

It's been in the low to mid-90s over the past few days, so this is a fresh memory.

I should mention that my JLU has the basic analog HVAC controls.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I'm unclear on what the purpose of this "feature" is. Can someone explain?
The lawyers have their hand in the Fresh Air Dump. Some idiot thinks we will die of carbon dioxide poisoning, from our own breathe, so they designed many Jeep/Chrysler vehicles to do a full on fresh air dump, into the cabin, every 15 minutes or so. It feels like it is coming straight from the scalding hot engine compartment.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
The lawyers have their hand in the Fresh Air Dump. Some idiot thinks we will die of carbon dioxide poisoning, from our own breathe, so they designed many Jeep/Chrysler vehicles to do a full on fresh air dump, into the cabin, every 15 minutes or so. It feels like it is coming straight from the scalding hot engine compartment.
Brains not work so good over 1000ppm CO2.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Brains not work so good over 1000ppm CO2.
I've never had this issue with any other vehicle, even the 2021 for Explorer, I drive, 8 hrs a day. Several year model Explorers before that, no issues. . They manage to work just fine, without some hot air dump every 15 minutes. Crown Vics 8 hrs a day, Chevy Impalas, and Caprices 8 hrs a day, no problem. All day, every day. All of the sudden, Jeep decides a hot air blast is what is best for us.
Oh, I forget, "It's a Jeep Thang".

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I've never had this issue with any other vehicle, even the 2021 for Explorer, I drive, 8 hrs a day. Several year model Explorers before that, no issues. . They manage to work just fine, without some hot air dump every 15 minutes. Crown Vics 8 hrs a day, Chevy Impalas, and Caprices 8 hrs a day, no problem. All day, every day. All of the sudden, Jeep decides a hot air blast is what is best for us.
Oh, I forget, "It's a Jeep Thang".
A) Relying on your CO2 impaired brain to tell you it is impaired?
B) They've done a lot of research on this in the last decade, even more since COVID. Ventilation is important, outside CO2 levels are less than 500ppm (for now).

I'd say be glad some engineer at Jeep actually bothered to put some fresh air into the cabin rather than leaving us to choke on our own recirculated farts?

eddified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Corolla, Ford Transit 350
Well they don't have to do it all at once, do they? They could let a little bit in at a time. And, oh, here's an idea, why can't the new fresh air be cooled before blowing it into the cabin?

Just because we need a fresh air dump doesn't mean we need it to be un-cooled.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I am dumbfounded I made it to 48 years old. I don't remember exactly but I think I've passed out in every single vehicle I've owned prior to this Jeep. Thanks FCA for saving my life!!!!

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
More like FCA made the Wrangler as airtight as possible for HVAC efficiency and low wind noise, then someone ran the numbers for max CO2 build-up with five adults, plus a dog in the back, Vs. Cabin volume and they decided on a sloppy fix.

Can confirm, my 2020 four-door will dump ambient air into the cabin whenever it feels like it. Most noticeable when it is near 100°F or 0°F. Strangely, it seems to only come from the front footwells.
Sponsored