Air compressor recommendations

inorganik

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Hi all, I'm looking for info around air compressors, for airing up after leaving the trail. I have a cheap one that plugs into the cigarette lighter, but takes quite a while. Is there a brand Jeep owners prefer? I have also read about on-board compressors and am curious how exactly those work. Thanks.
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I’ve got the ARB twin compressor mounted under the passenger seat with air lines running to each side. I use the Innovative JK Products mount/hose setup. It’s wired up to AUX button 1. It can be used to air down or inflate. Airing up all 4 35” tires from 15 psi to 33 psi takes under 5 minutes and the pressure is equalized. It’s a great setup IMO.

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
Hi all, I'm looking for info around air compressors, for airing up after leaving the trail. I have a cheap one that plugs into the cigarette lighter, but takes quite a while. Is there a brand Jeep owners prefer? I have also read about on-board compressors and am curious how exactly those work. Thanks.
This question is pretty deep. Depending on tire size, time efficiency, and of course how much you want to spend.

If you want a strong quality portable unit that wont bust the bank, Viair makes some pretty decent units with a quality hose and attachments.
ARB is well know and you will pay for that name.
Don't want to mess with time and compressors? PowerTank will air you up fast, but needs refilled every 4-6 trips, and they are pricey too.

OP
OP
inorganik

inorganik

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I’ve got the ARB twin compressor mounted under the passenger seat with air lines running to each side. I use the Innovative JK Products mount/hose setup. It’s wired up to AUX button 1. It can be used to air down or inflate. Airing up all 4 35” tires from 15 psi to 33 psi takes under 5 minutes and the pressure is equalized. It’s a great setup IMO.
Forgive my ignorance, but when you say the air lines run to each side- where do they go? Does that require special wheels?

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
I picked up a Bulldog air compressor and it has been impressive, I haven't tried it with my 35's but it would fill all 4 of my 33's up from 18psi to 35 psi in about 5 mins. Pro's: powerful, hasn't gotten extremely hot like the competitors do, and most of all Price! I got my for around $160. Cons: you have to open your hood and connect it to the battery(currently researching a workaround using Anderson connections), the air hose itself leaves much to be desired is cheap and uses a Japanese Nitto type fitting but I made a new one for around $20(same issue you will run into buying a Smitybuilt compressor). It may not be as nice as the ARB twin but it was cheap, works well, and fast. I had a member I was wheeling with ticked off with his single ARB because I was done with all 4, while he was half way done with his second. Just remember you don't always have to by the best to get the same performance.

https://www.bulldogwinch.com/index....ct_id=272/category_id=93/mode=prod/prd272.htm

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Forgive my ignorance, but when you say the air lines run to each side- where do they go? Does that require special wheels?
No special wheels. Compressor mounted under the seat, power switch is AUX 1 on the dash. Air lines run to air outlets mounted on the outside of both front seat brackets. The kit includes 2 dual headed hoses, plug into the outlet under each seat and run the hose to the front and rear tires on a side, repeat on the other side. Press button, air up all 4. See here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/chocolate-thunder’s-most-excellent-build-thread.21882/post-522271

EDIT: Found a video (not me) that shows perfectly exactly the same setupI have.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
No special wheels. Compressor mounted under the seat, power switch is AUX 1 on the dash. Air lines run to air outlets mounted on the outside of both front seat brackets. The kit includes 2 dual headed hoses, plug into the outlet under each seat and run the hose to the front and rear tires on a side, repeat on the other side. Press button, air up all 4. See here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/chocolate-thunder’s-most-excellent-build-thread.21882/post-522271

EDIT: Found a video (not me) that shows perfectly exactly the same setupI have.
I was just looking at this setup. Sounds like you like it.

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
Im debating piecing together my own 10# amazon/eBay power tank. Quick research shows about $140. Will allow me to unload it when not in use and should fulfill 99% of my needs.

I picked up a Bulldog air compressor and it has been impressive, I haven't tried it with my 35's but it would fill all 4 of my 33's up from 18psi to 35 psi in about 5 mins. Pro's: powerful, hasn't gotten extremely hot like the competitors do, and most of all Price! I got my for around $160. Cons: you have to open your hood and connect it to the battery(currently researching a workaround using Anderson connections), the air hose itself leaves much to be desired is cheap and uses a Japanese Nitto type fitting but I made a new one for around $20(same issue you will run into buying a Smitybuilt compressor). It may not be as nice as the ARB twin but it was cheap, works well, and fast. I had a member I was wheeling with ticked off with his single ARB because I was done with all 4, while he was half way done with his second. Just remember you don't always have to by the best to get the same performance.

https://www.bulldogwinch.com/index....ct_id=272/category_id=93/mode=prod/prd272.htm
Listed at $200 now....?

traviswalker007

First Name
Tony T Walker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I saw that kit, pretty pricey for a few pieces of sheet metal and sum plastic lines.

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Derek

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-Door
I have the ARB twin air with this Grimm under hood mount and I like it a lot, and like someone else said, it will air up all 4 tires from 15 psi to 37 psi in less then 5 min.

But I will say that last time I was airing up, the guy next to me had a viair compressor (don’t know the model) and he was on his last tire as I was packing up, so not much difference.

my old compressor was 10-15 min per tire, it was agonizing.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
One nice thing about the ARB twin is that when you are done airing up four tires it has not become much hotter than warm.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I saw that kit, pretty pricey for a few pieces of sheet metal and sum plastic lines.
I don’t think so. But if you’re inclined to save a few bucks you could fabricate your own. My time costs way more than the cost of the supplies plus the time it would take me to make it.

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Forgive my ignorance but I'm pretty new to this. This summer I've slowly been building up my general roadside emergency kit (blanket, lights, first aid, etc.). Thus I was already planning on getting a portable air compressor. Reading through the Wirecutter guide they recommended the Viair 84P (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS75ZMY) which is about $60. I assume that would be fine for topping off something like my current car (Mazda3) on the side of the road or during season changes, but would it be good for the Jeep soon?

For background I'll be getting a Willys; my plan is for stock and slowly try out beginner trails/off roading. Realistically it won't be an every weekend thing and it'll be my only vehicle. Is something like the 84P sufficient for my use case? (emergency/light off-road). Or is it too slow/not powerful enough and only sufficient for emergencies / general top off?

The Pittsburgh one above is about in the same price range. I saw people in another general off road thread posting about the Smittybilt 2781 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004K25GMG) which is closer to $200, or the Viair 400P automatic which is about $300. I'd say cost is less an issue to me than getting a quality tool that meets my needs for the foreseeable future. So looking for that sweetspot between regret and overspend.
Sponsored