Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
So I'm finally looking at getting a decent compressor, should I just go with the Viair 400P or are there option options out there with better value?
Sponsored

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
If you have the trailer group, consider this. The 400/400p run on 30A. You can do this so you don’t have to pop the hood to air up. It is a 30A line to the 7 pin connector.
0260495F-82C6-4C3B-9AD6-B84A52FA4A93.jpeg
Where does that plug in? Under passenger foot? And how does that compressor do on 37s?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Fitzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
Fantastic idea. Any chance you have the wiring schematic for this ?

Sponsored

drivingfool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4XE Rubi
So I'm finally looking at getting a decent compressor, should I just go with the Viair 400P or are there option options out there with better value?
How big are your tires, and how far do you airdown? I prefer bottles over compressors, much faster. Viair is very well regarded as a compressor, but 35s and up I really prefer a bottle like a powertank.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Fantastic idea. Any chance you have the wiring schematic for this ?
It comes with the plug. I just bought one at home depot. Clip the battery clamps, strip a bit from the end, and screw it to the posts inside the plug.
Where does that plug in? Under passenger foot? And how does that compressor do on 37s?
Trailer plug, like @jludave said. I've never fully aired down, I've only been out by myself and am still running stock. Very poor memory of how long it took to air back up, just that it was cold/raining and I just finished having fun at Walker Valley without getting in too deep on my own. That being said, it is a 30A compressor vs some of the competition running at 40A. That limits the max power for moving air. Some voltage drop from running through the harness and across a plug and it will *slightly* perform worse than if it were connected to the battery, but I doubt we'd notice. I ultimately decided the ease of use was better than going for something else.

OP
OP
JJSix

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
How big are your tires, and how far do you airdown? I prefer bottles over compressors, much faster. Viair is very well regarded as a compressor, but 35s and up I really prefer a bottle like a powertank.
Running 35s, Milestar Pats, and typically air down to 14 psi. I'd look at a bottle but not sure how I'd fill it, no compressor at home.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I'd look at a bottle but not sure how I'd fill it, no compressor at home.
Those typically require a CO2 fill.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RobAmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.0L Turbo Diesel Rubicon

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I did research and decided that ARB is the best compressor. I took a photo of the technical details and went to a battery expert store. I asked for a battery that could run the compressor and that can be re-charged.

So now I use that battery to run my compressor.

If you run things off your car battery you can get a flat battery. Instead of taking a risk I just take my own battery.

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
If you have the trailer group, consider this. The 400/400p run on 30A. You can do this so you don’t have to pop the hood to air up. It is a 30A line to the 7 pin connector.
Jeep Wrangler JL Air Compressor Options 0260495F-82C6-4C3B-9AD6-B84A52FA4A93
I have the same compressor and this might be the coolest single thing I ever learned on this forum. Thank you!

drivingfool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4XE Rubi
Running 35s, Milestar Pats, and typically air down to 14 psi. I'd look at a bottle but not sure how I'd fill it, no compressor at home.
Any welding shop should be able to fill a bottle. In fact, most bottle shops (welding, maybe a beverage distributor) can probably get you into a bottle and regulator. Powertanks are very nice and very pricey, and really the tank and reg are about $80 in parts. Think of it like a big paintball co2 tank, not much difference.
14psi back up to 30psi on 35s with a viair/arb takes a couple minutes per wheel based on what I've seen. If you go the compressor route, get a 'clamping' valve so you don't have to kneel at the wheels for 10 minutes after a long day. Even worse in weather.
Sponsored