Sponsored

A

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Sorry for your mishap and I hope you heal fast and get a new or repaired Jeep soon.

Unfortunately, late deployment of airbags is a known problem and a lot of research continues to go into minimizing it.

Most people here don't know this, but the #1 reason for airbag deployment delay (or total failure to deploy) in frontal collisions is underriding/overriding. That is when a taller vehicle (e.g. a Jeep) collides with a lower vehicle. When that happens there is an initial lighter impact (e.g. your Jeep bumper glazing over say a low honda Civic), that does not trigger the airbag and seat belt tensioners. Then the underriding vehicle's (e..g. that Civic) front crashbar hits the hard part (e.g. your solid front axle) in a much harder impact, that triggers the airbag.

I'm not saying that this is what happened in your case, but it is a relatively common occurrence. In fact I'm sure if you google underriding airbag delay you will find lots of research papers on it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DKayGing

DKayGing

First Name
Debra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Sorry for your mishap and I hope you heal fast and get a new or repaired Jeep soon.

Unfortunately, late deployment of airbags is a known problem and a lot of research continues to go into minimizing it.

Most people here don't know this, but the #1 reason for airbag deployment delay (or total failure to deploy) in frontal collisions is underriding/overriding. That is when a taller vehicle (e.g. a Jeep) collides with a lower vehicle. When that happens there is an initial lighter impact (e.g. your Jeep bumper glazing over say a low honda Civic), that does not trigger the airbag and seat belt tensioners. Then the underriding vehicle's (e..g. that Civic) front crashbar hits the hard part (e.g. your solid front axle) in a much harder impact, that triggers the airbag.

I'm not saying that this is what happened in your case, but it is a relatively common occurrence. In fact I'm sure if you google underriding airbag delay you will find lots of research papers on it.

Last edited:

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I could see that being an issue. In my case it was a full size truck that matched my height. I haven’t done any mods to my Jeep in that aspect.

I read online that 2017-2019 there was a sensor issue that caused a delay in deployment, but Chrysler said it was found in testing and was fixed…that no one has been injured. Guess I’ll see when the computer shows or doesn’t show what i remember. I clearly remember hitting my head and on the return watched the airbag deploy. Seatbelt didn’t tightened either.
It could have been the opposite in our case - maybe the truck overrode your Jeep. Or it could have been something else. I just wanted to point out to you (and other reading) that airbag delayed deployment does happen on occasion. In your case since you were moving at a slower speed and nearly stationary, the airbag deployment parameters may have been even more conservative.

Let me ask you this - did the airbag in the full-size truck deploy?

As to how you perceived the sequence of your head hitting and the deployment, it is consistent with airbag delayed deployment. You can even go on youtube and you can see side by side videos of what happens in a normal vs delayed deployment. It is as you described.

Again, speedy recovery and best of luck to you.

P.S. There is a law firm that specializes in bringing suits (class action ?) in delayed deployment of airbags. I'm sure you can find them by googling. They have a lot of experience in these cases.

OP
OP
DKayGing

DKayGing

First Name
Debra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
It could have been the opposite in our case - maybe the truck overrode your Jeep. Or it could have been something else. I just wanted to point out to you (and other reading) that airbag delayed deployment does happen on occasion. In your case since you were moving at a slower speed and nearly stationary, the airbag deployment parameters may have been even more conservative.

Let me ask you this - did the airbag in the full-size truck deploy?

As to how you perceived the sequence of your head hitting and the deployment, it is consistent with airbag delayed deployment. You can even go on youtube and you can see side by side videos of what happens in a normal vs delayed deployment. It is as you described.

Again, speedy recovery and best of luck to you.

P.S. There is a law firm that specializes in bringing suits (class action ?) in delayed deployment of airbags. I'm sure you can find them by googling. They have a lot of experience in these cases.
Thank you for all the info you have provided.

Sponsored

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
I know side impact is completely different than your situation, but I was shocked that my side curtain airbags did not deploy.

I hope you heal quickly.
JLs do not have side curtain airbags.

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
I totaled my 2018 JLUR about 2 years ago. Got hit on the freeway and sent me straight into a concrete wall at about 50+ mph. Airbag deployed on impact and I walked away with a minor bruise on my shoulder. Hope you’re doing better. That looked pretty scary.
Jeep Wrangler JL A A054BEB3-B849-4CF1-A3BF-D3C0575D0325

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I was in an accident last week, I clearly remember the jolt foreword, my head hitting above the windshield area, and as I was returning backwards from the force forward I watched as the airbag deployed. Has anyone else had an issue with airbag deployment? Or seen anything about this? It was almost a direct head on collision. I expected the airbag to deploy sooner.

View attachment 506132

View attachment 506133

I know the feeling. I had a woman run a yield drive under my truck causing it to flip over. Airbag deployed after I landed, watched it pop.

Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 7.09.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 7.09.56 PM.png

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0

Sponsored

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Sorry to hear about the accident.
Hope you get well soon.

They need to pull the data from the Jeep as soon as possible.
On auto some systems, every time some turns the key on/off, there is the potential for the data to be lost.

My $0.015 worth on airbag systems:

Airbags systems are very complicated things and are often specific to a vehicle.
Some of the airbags sytems deploy on dv/dt.
The new airbag systems can detect if a person is wearing a seatbelt.
Then how the airbag deploys is a function of the seatbelt and where the system thinks the person is located steering wheel. If the airbag system believes the person is in close proximity to the steering wheel, the air bag system may delay when it goes off and the rate at which it goes off.

With the new system of airbags, in almost every airbag deployment situation, a person's best chance is have have one's seatbelt on properly.

OP
OP
DKayGing

DKayGing

First Name
Debra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I know the feeling. I had a woman run a yield drive under my truck causing it to flip over. Airbag deployed after I landed, watched it pop.

Jeep Wrangler JL A Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 7.09.56 PM

Jeep Wrangler JL A Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 7.09.56 PM
Oh my!!! I read that 2017-2019 Chrysler acknowledged an airbag delay yet said no one has been injured because they caught it in manufacturing testing and corrected it. I’ve looked at the videos on YouTube and my bag did not perform properly like the videos I watched. Hope you didn’t sustain too serious of injuries. Thanks for sharing!

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I was in an accident last week, I clearly remember the jolt foreword, my head hitting above the windshield area, and as I was returning backwards from the force forward I watched as the airbag deployed. Has anyone else had an issue with airbag deployment? Or seen anything about this? It was almost a direct head on collision. I expected the airbag to deploy sooner.

View attachment 506132

View attachment 506133
Glad you are ok, that is the most important thing.

I would engage a lawyer immediately as you clearly have physical damage to provide what you remember, as well as the skin mark on the visor/sky one touch controls. Find one that specializes in manufacture liability cases. Jeep/FCA needs to be held accountable for the crap quality that failed to protect you appropriately.

OP
OP
DKayGing

DKayGing

First Name
Debra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Sorry to hear about the accident.
Hope you get well soon.

They need to pull the data from the Jeep as soon as possible.
On auto some systems, every time some turns the key on/off, there is the potential for the data to be lost.

My $0.015 worth on airbag systems:

Airbags systems are very complicated things and are often specific to a vehicle.
Some of the airbags sytems deploy on dv/dt.
The new airbag systems can detect if a person is wearing a seatbelt.
Then how the airbag deploys is a function of the seatbelt and where the system thinks the person is located steering wheel. If the airbag system believes the person is in close proximity to the steering wheel, the air bag system may delay when it goes off and the rate at which it goes off.

With the new system of airbags, in almost every airbag deployment situation, a person's best chance is have have one's seatbelt on properly.
I’ve always worn my seatbelt….and correctly. I had a sister die in a rollover with no seatbelt. Going through that was an eye opener back in 2010. Thanks for sharing all the info you have!

OP
OP
DKayGing

DKayGing

First Name
Debra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I don't have a for sure answer for you, maybe if this gets escalated Jeep can pull the data and see why they had a delay deploy.

My guess is that you were on that borderline speed of having the airbags get deployed. In the FAQ section of the NHTSA web site, they say that air bags usually get deployed if you're going anywhere from 8mph to 14mph. I do remember reading years ago how air bags don't deploy when you're going slower.

Source: https://www.nhtsa.gov/equipment/air-bags#:~:text=Frontal air bags are generally,to 28 mph or higher.)
Just filed! Thanks for sharing!

CB6ECD1F-03AE-4B17-B235-424B610FD6A1.jpeg
Sponsored